Think I Did Something Really Stupid...Might Need Some Advice

goblinsix

Registered
Sorry guys, I need some help.

I was in the process of taking off the fairings this evening...a task I have done a million times on other bikes...and got all the way to the point where I had to remove the 10mm bolt on the right hand side that is up under the fairing. The damn thing stripped or something. It turns and turns but won't come out. I even tried to unscrew it with some vice-grips with zero luck. So any idea what is going on up there? Anyone come across this before?

The realistic scenario is that I probably went the wrong direction a turn or two before realizing that my stupid socket driver was in reverse---like a moron. So I might have stripped it or broken a thread...it's a strange thing. I can't tighten or loosen it....the darn thing just spins around even with just finger pressure.

Grrrr...this makes me mad...I was going to do a little work tonight and I can even get the fairing off like a fool.

It shouldn't be that big of a deal. First, I would try to add a little pressure under the head of the screw while turning it out, but be careful not to scratch the plastic. Also, I would see about accessing the back of the screw from the otherside (take the other fairing off). The part that the screw threads into is just a little clip, they are easy to replace. Unless you are talking about the screw that taps into the little brace that goes across to the other fairing, then you will need a new little bracket.

Regardless, it's not that big of a deal...

If it's the one for the brace, just remove one side, the other can stay on there.

Heck, if it's the one with the brace, but put a nut on the other side and just remember that the brace comes off on the side with the NUT!....

What 10mm bolt on gen 2. Can't say I remember one. Been a bit though. Only hex head bolts around the front I can remember are tank, radiator, and oil cooler brackets?
Posted via Mobile Device

No, there's no brace.

On the GENII there is a 10mm bolt on the right side fairing that is hidden up under the lower vent. The bolt screws directly into a small steel braket that is afixed to the engine. The darn thing is really inconvenient to access unless you have a rear stand and can pick the bike up a couple inches. My big challenge is not scratching the fairing while messing with it.

I might have to have Greg from HPC drill it out when it is in the shop. I was trying to get a jump on some of the basic mods to save him some time. Now I have a fairing that I can't get off of the bike like a dummy.

Back