Think Florida's bad about speeding?

kaosccw

Registered
A California Highway Patrol officer fired at a speeding motorcyclist who refused to pull over Sunday afternoon, authorities said.

It was unclear whether the shot struck the motorcyclist, who got away and was still being sought Sunday night, authorities said.

The incident began at 12:07 p.m. on eastbound Interstate 80 in American Canyon, where a CHP officer clocked two motorcycles speeding at 85 mph, according to CHP spokesman Marvin Williford. The CHP officer began pursuing the riders and attempted to pull over both of them. One, however, exited I-80 at Red Top Road and then re-entered I-80 westbound while the second motorcyclist continued east on I-80.

A second CHP officer was west on I-80 and had been monitoring the pursuit. At the Columbus Parkway exit in Vallejo, the officer pulled over a motorcyclist who matched the description of the first fleeing biker. The officer, however, realized he had the wrong biker when he spotted the fleeing motorcyclist coming off Columbus Parkway in his direction, Williford said.

The officer stepped off his bike and waved for the fleeing motorcyclist to stop, but the rider instead accelerated toward the officer and the officer opened fire, Williford said.

Why run when going only 85??

If the guy on the bike was riding towards the officer and then accelerated towards him, then I think he was justified to pull the gun and fire. He would do the same with a cager. He's allowed to protect himself.

...now if the guy on the bike was running away from the officer and he fired, that's a different story...

Would be interesting to find out how many shots were fired though...

I'm guessing he stepped toward/into the travel lane and waved.

Police radio use in this case sounds more acceptable then firing off rounds.

(kaosccw @ Sep. 27 2007,14:38) I'm guessing he stepped toward/into the travel lane and waved.

Police Radio will not stop a guy on a bike from running you down ... unless you throw it at him I guess..

I still think if you try to harm someone using your motorcycle as a weapon (run him down), then the other person is allowed to defend themselves.

If someone was headed toward you at a fast rate of speed and then sped up to get to you faster, would you break out the cell phone and call 911? Or break out the gun?

I don't advocate violence, but I'm protecting myself.

What moron runs for an 85mph speeding ticket in Cali. Its maybe a couple hundred dollars if you lose, but you can still take violator school for no points on your record. And using the trial by declaration, I have beaten my last 3 speeding tickets.

I have no sympathy for runners. If a cop steps into your lane flagging you down and you don't start slowing down, then you deserve to get shot at. What do these people think this is a game?!!

(kaosccw @ Sep. 27 2007,03:38) I'm guessing he stepped toward/into the travel lane and waved.

Especially since the cop couldn't aim well enough to actually hit his target. Where did the bullet(s) end up? And, we're ALL guessing on stories like this.

Yeah. My take is any time you use your vehicle as a potential weapon then it is justified to fire upon said vehicle. officer OR civilian.

We had an officer in our home town that pulled over a guy, the guy then tried to backup and run the officer over, the officer pulled his firearm and **** the guy through teh left rear side window. killed him.

The family tried to file against the department and officer, went to court and was dismissed.

Either this LEO is shooting after he went by, or he needs to re-certify with his weapon.

Either way that makes him more dangerous than the runner. At least at that moment.

Hey That dude needed his head and helmet blown off and a "Go ahead make my day" said over him.
guns.gif
argue.gif

Comin at you or going away from you! Who cares that cop needs more time at the range
wow.gif
I say you don't stop! You got a reason for it! Steal a car get chased and won't stop! No, OK I GIVE UP CRAP! No they wouldn't let me on jury duty either!!!
SHOCKED.gif

Back