Thieves stealing busas!

i think were getting a little too paranoid here, it doesnt take a criminal genious to figure out that all the hotels in myrtle beach and daytona will be full of bikes during bike week.  they arent targeting specific bikes, they are just taking what easiest.  thats said it;s true it's not a grat idea to post plate pics, i do it, but my bike isnt ever at the adress it's registered to
I love you guys, but this all sounds absolutely ridiculous to me too. I do not believe that a thief is going to get on this website and read and read and read until he happens to find someone taking a vacation close enough to him that he can go and steal their bike. Give me a break! If the guy lives in any major city, he simply needs to drive around and he will see many bikes to choose from.

OK how 'bout events like bike week? Now I think my bike is pimp, but I doubt if anyone is going to go to Myrtle Beach looking for it. Why would I be more of a target because a thief recognizes my plate? That isn't going to make it easier to steal it. Shiat, a thief at bike week simply needs to close his eyes and turn around 3 times, and when he opens his eyes, he will have hundreds if not thousands of bikes to choose from. So what if they know that Thinker is staying at the Comfort Inn. Every hotel in town will be filled with bikes. There will be premium, pinmpolicious bikes everywhere!! Like Kent said, these are crimes of opportunity. Only 1 or 2 people on this board have bikes worth putting together a master plan to steal, and those couple of bikes are probably just too recognizable, and the owners will be too careful. It is just not logical that a thief would try to target you because he knows your name, your plate number and what mods you have.

And I doubt if some guy in LA, NY, or Chicago is going to trek all the way to WI Dells looking for my bike because I posted that I am going fishing this weekend.

Giving out our addresses probably isn't a good idea under any circumstances, but I doubt if a thief will drive by hundreds of houses and apartments with bikes sitting there, just to get to your house, because he has your address.

Just be careful and do not make it easy for the amatures. Take the bike inside if you can. Park under your hotel window, Park in lit areas, disconnect the battery, chain it up, etc. But keep in mind that if pros REALLY want your bike, THEY WILL TAKE IT ALONG WITH YOU ON IT, UNDER IT, OR DEAD NEXT TO IT!

Stay safe and be careful, but don't be affraid to leave the house.

G

but let says a guy specialize in stealing busas.
he could go on this site, take license plate numbe in his state
run the numbers in the dmv computer (says he has a guy that work inside) then he knows where to find your bike.

I still think it's best to hide the plate number.

But your right about thieves not driving humdreds of miles to steal a busa.

True, but I think very unlikely. That argument would suggest that it is foolish for us to even get vanity plates, which are easy to remember. Anyone on the street sees your bike. He calls his buddy, they get your address and come get your bike. .....Yes it is possible, but not very probable.

A guy specializing in Busas only needs to look where bikes hang out...Starbucks, Hooters or go to the track, or to events like bike week, and boom, they have Busas. They could also hang around Suzuki shops.

I would be much more worried about the crime of opportunity. A guy sees your bike, watches you and strikes when your head is turned. That has to be a lot easier for thieves than an investigative research project...specially when the likelihood of someone posting info from his state, city and neighborhood is extremely low.

Hey,
I think we're all parnoid when it comes to our bikes!

And why not, they're Busas!!
And a lot of'em have been stolen allready!!

Back