These tire safe for a couple thousand more miles?

Tiller

Registered
I just bought a CBR929RR for my street bike. It is extremely clean but needs tires.

The tires that are on the bike are Michelin Pilot Sports (yes, not made anymore) with the manufacture date shown in the pic below. You think they are ok to run? :lol:

100_6071.jpg

Front tire manufactured in 2001 (back is 2003) - to say that is an old tire is an understatement!!!

I personally run my tires down to the wear bars and replace them. Some run there tires to the cords showing, each to there own.
I would run them tires with a set on order but I wouldnt run em hard.

I personally run my tires down to the wear bars and replace them. Some run there tires to the cords showing, each to there own.
I would run them tires with a set on order but I wouldnt run em hard.

You would run them at 11 years old. That's nuts! Im posting this as a joke because surely noone would knowingly run a tire that old

Well I would say NO. Now where is the pics of the bike. You should ride it to our little gathering Saturday night. :laugh:

You would run them at 11 years old. That's nuts! Im posting this as a joke because surely noone would knowingly run a tire that old

Well surely as stated I would have a set on order and yes I would ride them but not hard. I would a tire 11 years old before I ran a tire with the cords showing.

If they looked to be in sound condition with no perishing of the rubber, as the one in the picture, I would run them for commuting etc, as lankeeyankee stated above, however if I was going on the mainland for some fun, I would Deffo. change them.

Best regards Stretch :beerchug:

Jay, if you were gonna COMMUTE on them, and they aren't showing any dry rot, I might consider it with careful watching. But knowing the way you ride, your skills, and where you ride at, I'd replace them. Charlie said you sold the Goat too...let's see pics of both new rides please...

Jay, if you were gonna COMMUTE on them, and they aren't showing any dry rot, I might consider it with careful watching. But knowing the way you ride, your skills, and where you ride at, I'd replace them. Charlie said you sold the Goat too...let's see pics of both new rides please...

PM sent... well... trying

I think I see a small amount of dry rot cracking in the tread. I believe tires/rubber has a shelf life and 10+ years probably exceeds it. UV light or sun really breaks down rubber. I'd switch them out sooner then later but I don't think they are particularly problematic or an imminent danger. I think the rubber compound is comprimised and will probably wear faster than new tires. I'd keep an eye on them, ride them lightly (no repeat no high speed stuff) and you could safely ride them for a period as I don't think they will catastrophically fail. Sudden catastrophic tire failure on a motocylce can be life threatening - a slow leak is a manageable inconveinance for a rider experienced with the senasation of a low tire. All that said - for a couple hunderd bucks you can take that concern off the table. Personally - I'd switch'em out at my earliest available chance.

mmm.... so people will run really old tires but wouldn't trust a patched screw hole on a newer tire. ???

Back