There's an app for that...

Laylas_Mom

Registered
Is this even a good idea??? Yikes!

Remote Car Starter? There's An App For That - Autos News Story - WFTV Orlando

You can now unlock your car or start it with just a push of a button on your iPhone.

Directed Electronics, a California-based vehicle security and remote start company, introduced the Viper SmartStart on Tuesday. The system uses a free download from the Apple App Store combined with a $499 SmartStart system installed in your car.

A remote start means you can start the vehicle by remote control, defrost the windows and pre-warm the cabin. It can also be used to pre-cool the vehicle in hot weather by activating the air conditioning.

While most systems use a small remote control on a keychain to activate the remote start, those keyfob systems generally have limited range, said Kevin Duffy, president of Directed Electronics. The Viper SmartStart has a virtually unlimited range. As long as the iPhone, or an iPod with a wireless connection, and the vehicle have a signal, the car can be started.

Depending on the installation, users can also lock and unlock doors, pop the trunk, find their car in a parking lot or arm their security system. The system can also control multiple cars from one iPhone.

"The growth and popularity of the iPhone has opened the door for a whole new category of products in our business," Duffy said. "Our customers have consistently told us that the two most important features in a remote starter are range and user interface."

Those who already have a compatible Viper system in their car can buy just the Viper SmartStart Module for $299 instead of the full system.

Would suck if you accidentally activated the app while you're in Denver for business and your car is sitting in your garage in Philadelphia :rofl:

Do people really need all this crap? How lazy are we going to get? No wonder obesity (sp) is an epidemic.

Mulitlple cars huh? I hope the car select button is big other wise you may unlock the wrong car. Then your wife calls on her i phone and askes why it looks like some racoons have been in her car.:poke:

Do people really need all this crap? How lazy are we going to get? No wonder obesity (sp) is an epidemic.

Have you already forgoten about the Peanut butter and jelly in the same jar. If something can enhance the sedintary lifestyle then we as Americans will make it a best seller.

its a $135 fine for leaving an unatended car running with the keys in it here and Im pretty sure you wouldnt want to sit in your car waiting for it to warm up when its 30 or 40 bellow 0. they all have timers so they wont run much more that 20 minutes and then shut down. I have been putting them in for 11 years and wouldnt be without one.

Spkerhed: when you remote start your car, the keys are not in it.

I have this app on my phone, actually. I love it. I start my car from the phone and dont have to deal with carrying a transmitter on my keychain. And when i get in my car, the engine is warm, blowing nice warm air out of the ducts, the rear defrost is on, and my heated seats are warmed up.

Oh, and at the time I had it installed, I worked at a place that sold remote start and security. I have a viper 5701 system that does security and remote start. I also have the tilt sensor, glass break sensor, GPS tracking, ans Smart Start, and all of that only set me back about 250 bucks.

Company discounts kick ass.

Last edited:

I have this app on my phone, actually. I love it. I start my car from the phone and dont have to deal with carrying a transmitter on my keychain. And when i get in my car, the engine is warm, blowing nice warm air out of the ducts, the rear defrost is on, and my heated seats are warmed up.

Oh, and at the time I had it installed, I worked at a place that sold remote start and security. I have a viper 5701 system that does security and remote start. I also have the tilt sensor, glass break sensor, GPS tracking, ans Smart Start, and all of that only set me back about 250 bucks.

Company discounts kick ass.

ahhh yea. Im might be tempted with a 50% discount!

Im an installer and have put in thousands of them we carry astroflex. I was just explaining to the ones who thought it was lazy to have a remote start that you cant have the keys in unatended so the rs is the only way to go. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
gotcha, speaker. Layla: the discount was a LOT bigger than 50%. If you walked in off the street to get the setup that I have, you'd pay north of $1000 bucks for all of that.

Back