There goes more of our freedom AGAIN!

MetalDisorder

Registered
Well I watched it happen with choppers in the 60's and 70's, Cars in the 70's and 80's, Boats in the 80's and 90's and now here we go with another fabricated emergency to make it convenient to steal your vehicle in the name of the LAW.
We as bike owners are under attack and you better believe it is real.
Just read the FRONT PAGE of the Orlando sentinel this morning
In a state that has unbelievable violent crime problem and has a murder rate out of control we decide that our biggest problem is a few (by relative numbers) bikers that are creating an inconvenience for the FHP.
I don’t know about you but I am now old enough to be getting SICK and TIRED of the lawmakers telling us it is wrong to own a hot car or bike.
GET REAL!!! Ever seen American Graffiti you idiots! It is as American as apple pie!
Great example.. I happen to be lucky and work hard to afford a few nice hobbies. If I go out in my boat that is fast, has a big motor and in general is a hotrod on water I can get stopped by an often do get stopped for a “safety inspectionâ€.
Now lets take any point on the water in Florida you have Florida Law enforcement officers, Sheriff department, City Police, DEA, Coast Guard, Marine Patrol, Fish & Game and don’t forget homeland security. ALL of these agencies can stop you and detain you for NO REASON! We are going to see this on our bikes (already are) It will get worse just open your eyes and watch!
Do we really need that many law enforcement agencies to write tickets for minor offences like traffic violations?
Those of you with boats know what I am talking about. Kida like being pulled over for a stop light out and being asked (told) they want to search you and your car except you don’t even need to have a tail light out!
They will search you for an hour and make your day just stink and if you have any personal protection on the boat you will be assumed to be a drug runner and be towed to the closest dock for even a more detailed search.. You know electronics , dogs and hole cutting if the feel like it.
That is the reward you get for being a hard working tax payer that goes to work and raises a family and buys a toy to enjoy on the weekend.
Wake up people our rights to enjoy life are being taken away every day.

All ranting and raving aside why do we sit by and watch the FHP grow to a bloated number that makes you see one every time you pull on a highway. County and city police are spending more and more time patrolling for traffic violations to collect tax dollars.
Here is a really out there idea… How bout we take them off of tax collector duties and put them on the streets to catch the real criminals. The killers, rapists, robbers and spend less time trying to single out a very small portion of the population for harassment!
When is the last time you saw a police officer walking in a bad neighborhood “Keeping the Peace?†There are bad guys there with guns it might be dangerous.. silly thought.
GET THEM OFF THE FREEWAY AN ON THE STREETS WHERE THEY CAN DO SOME GOOD!

If you think this is a over reaction just read the front page of the Orlando sentinel.
Here is a link to the article… Does anyone else feel that you are being screwed
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news....e-promo
__

It might be a good idea to stop for the blue lights rather than run from them.............ya think?
rock.gif
??

(Burger King @ Jan. 06 2007,10:46) It might be a good idea to stop for the blue lights rather than run from them.............ya think?
rock.gif
??
You think it is just about running? Really? Ever been stopped in your car, boat or bike for little or no reason and been searched? If not .. Just wait it is coming
Dont know where you live but down here if a kid cruises down the same downtown street on a saterday night more that twice he is "cruising" and is stopped and possibly ticketed and harrassed for sure.
Dont get me wrong I am not a kid .. far from that .. but I still remember what it was like to be one of the "gear head" and not a POT head, a drunk or a "Gangsta" as a kid.
Sorry to be so heavy guys .. This just burns me up.
sad.gif

Cruising laws are the same here in Savannah. It was needed to stop the constant noise from the boom box trunk cars and the constant danger to pedestrians who are checking out the clubs along narrow streets by "kids" in cars who have nothing better do do than cruise.
There are other and better spots for cruising.
There were the initial complains when the law was first enacted but you don't hear them anymore. If you are having to drive around looking for a parking spot you aren't going to be ticketed. It makes walking the streets much nicer and safer.

I don't really understand why you have such a problem with them confiscating a bike for comitting a felony. They do it to cars that run from the law.

It seems really simple to me. If you are going to take a chance on breaking a traffic law (It has been said that I do on occasion) that you know and understand the consequences of getting caught and are willing to pay the price.

Freedom is never carte blanc. Freedom has boundries. Live within them and you will be free indeed.

disclaimer:
(The opinions of the poster are not necessarily those of Hayabus.org or it's Corporate Officers or Sponsers.)

What worries me is the statement that one bike was stopped for a bent tag, the rider arrested on other charges that were later dropped, yet the bike was still siezed and not returned; no mention of attempt to flee. I also hope the legislation proposal for larger moto tags fails; I cringe at the thought of a big almost car-size tag on my bike.

(Burger King @ Jan. 06 2007,11:13) Cruising laws are the same here in Savannah. It was needed to stop the constant noise from the boom box trunk cars and the constant danger to pedestrians who are checking out the clubs along narrow streets by "kids" in cars who have nothing better do do than cruise.
There are other and better spots for cruising.
There were the initial complains when the law was first enacted but you don't hear them anymore. If you are having to drive around looking for a parking spot you aren't going to be ticketed. It makes walking the streets much nicer and safer.

I don't really understand why you have such a problem with them confiscating a bike for comitting a felony. They do it to cars that run from the law.

It seems really simple to me. If you are going to take a chance on breaking a traffic law (It has been said that I do on occasion) that you know and understand the consequences of getting caught and are willing to pay the price.

Freedom is never carte blanc. Freedom has boundries. Live within them and you will be free indeed.

disclaimer:
(The opinions of the poster are not necessarily those of Hayabus.org or it's Corporate Officers or Sponsers.)
All good points however do we really need these new laws?
Does it really negate my points about the number of of cops writing tickets vs the ones walking around down town observing the drunks coming out of the clubs or the guy selling crack to your daughter or son ?
I dont think that cruising to Sabath and Zepplin in my day was much different to the kid with a agravating boom boom I cant understand it cause I am now the old guy stuff playing now.
When they are spending all their cash on the car / bike they dont have as much for Drugs and booze.

a. I don't like it when the government empowers itself to take things that don't belong to them...it's wrong in every way....punish a wron do'er?...yes...absolutely...but take what doesn't belong to you?...hello?...ain't that what they call "Stealing"...if they wanna uhem "confiscate" drugs or guns used in a crime that's one thing...but i say "HANDS OFF" other folks vehicles and homes...and?..with that said?...

b. I think "Running" from the cops is about the most ignorant act of recklessness a person can commit...if ya wanna endanger your own life?...that's one thing...but to endanger the life of a law officer (by placing them in a hot pursuit situation) and/or endangering the lives of countless other motorists and bystanders?...is just plain....IG...NOR....RANT!

So..i'm of the school that officers shouldn't "confiscate" homes or bikes (they'll probably get ate up in legal fees anyways) but i see NP with revoking licenses and do'in some hard time for those stupid enough to "RUN".

I got pulled over 8 times in 18 months on my ZRX & FZ1.....twice by the same officer..(one time on each bike...2nd time he was like.."Hey! I Know You!"...(when i took my helmet off.
laugh.gif
) he was real nice...wound up talking alot...he rides an RC51....and never got a ticket...and only two of those encounters "reached arguement levels"....(only two azzholes outta 7 ain't bad
laugh.gif
),,,the rest?...seemed very content that....

a. i was alert, signaled and pulled right over...immediately...and?...

b. that i at least started out showing them the utmost respect and?...

c. was wearing all the appropriate safety gear (helmet, boots, jacket, gloves)

he11...i got pulled on the busa with two other .org members several months back...cruising out in the no-mans-land swamps out west....at 110....and we all pulled over immediately...and got...

"I know and understand why ya'll are waaaaay out here but please...slow down and be carful on those things....ya'll were go'in just a tad too fast...have a nice day."

maybe because we were all middle aged, showing him respect, and keeping a safe distance between each other for our given speeds or that the roads were flat and straight as a bowling ally with not so much as an intersection or driveway within 50 miles of us...just swamps and cowfields....but he let us go.
biggrin.gif

So?...I NEVR "RUN"....it just ain't worth it....EVER.

JMHO's and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

I dont really see the problem with confiscating a vehicle used in a felony.  If somebody is running, there is a reason for it. 1.  They have a file. or 2. They are immature and think they dont need to stop since they are faster.  Either way, when bikers do run it gives the LEOs a legitimate reason to stereotype all sport bike riders.  Gives us a bad name because a few run.  Was stopped one time over the last 3 years.  Because I didn't have my tags displayed.  After taking off my lid, I explained that my tag fell off, it was under my hump, and that I was on my way to get bolts to re-hang it.  Got no warning, no ticket.  Just a "Just wanted to make sure"  and "Be careful out there."

Running is stupid and those who do deserve to lose their ride.  Get whats coming to ya. As far as "taking away our freedom" There must be laws to ensure freedom for the majority of citizens.

(Black Bird Killer @ Jan. 06 2007,07:11) it gives the LEOs a legitimate reason to stereotype all sport bike riders.  
no it doesn't...and in a perfect world?...above eveyone else?...LEO's are supposed to be the last to "StereoType" any group.

Saddam Hussien once stereotyped an entire village...and in the end?...that didn't work out to well for him either.
laugh.gif

(JINKSTER @ Jan. 06 2007,13:18)
(Black Bird Killer @ Jan. 06 2007,07:11) it gives the LEOs a legitimate reason to stereotype all sport bike riders.  
no it doesn't...and in a perfect world?...above eveyone else?...LEO's are supposed to be the last to "StereoType" any group.

Saddam Hussien once stereotyped an entire village...and in the end?...that didn't work out to well for him either.
laugh.gif
Okay, maybe not legitimate.  But you know full well that they do stereotype sport bike riders

Yes they are steriotyping all of us. In the media and on the books.
Does it give the right to start a campain to turn all of us into outlaws and sell our bikes
rock.gif

Why not just enforce the damn laws we have .. Trust me we have plenty of them to do the job!

(502SCS @ Jan. 06 2007,13:24) Yes they are steriotyping all of us. In the media and on the books.
Does it give the right to start a campain to turn all of us into outlaws and sell our bikes
rock.gif

Why not just enforce the damn laws we have .. Trust me we have plenty of them to do the job!
So if you are complaining that they are sterotyping cyclist and you are telling me that you are not one of the ones that violates the law, then why do you care if the punks that run get their bikes taken away?

It seems to me that you are talking out both sides of your mouth. I don't see this any differently than drug seizures, you get caught with smack and your car goes bye bye..... I personally think that anyone that gets busted with a concealed weapon WITHOUT A LICENSE in public should have their gun confiscated too.....

I was a cop on the street for 6 1/2 years I can personally tell you that pursuits are a necessary evil, the current problem is that when you catch them the PUBLIC like yourself wants to just overlook it and say well he just made a bad mistake... Looks to me like the folks that complain about pursuits are the same ones that complain when bikes go by at 150mph... Seems that Florida has come up with a pretty out of the box solution and now folks are saying that its unfair.....

hmmmm I say take em

I agree with your post in that stereotyping causes LEOs to hassle some "types"; growing up in Los Angeles I was pulled over frequently....noticeably more frequently....when I had my buddy Duane in the car. I cruised with other friends, without such hassle, but since Duane is black, some of LA's "best" wore the racist version of sunglasses and couldn't see through them. Your link, however, points to abuse of the law, and law enforcement attempting to control the problem. I really don't see the connection, unless you think error by the police could end up with someone's bike being confiscated in error?

it seem to me that you either run from the police on a regular basis or you just dont like the police to have the ability to seize your property if you decide to get out on the road and endanger others.

a drivers license is a priveledge not somethin you are automatically entitled to. The roads we have to drive on are there for your conveinence not for your abuse and certainly not for wreckless endangerment of my family and friends.

We seized bikes nightly here in shreveport for a long time and believe it or not, all the running from police that we used to experience has cut way down. We rarely have a pursuit anyore because riders know that we will show up at their house with a rollback (wrecker) and snatch their SH!t.

I have photos of all the ones ive seized.... its pretty extensive and some of them are awesome bikes. I agree that it sucks to get your bike taken but all you have to do is pull over and talk.

OH one other thing. All the bikes that we have seized, were either called in on by motorist who were witnessing their stupidity or "our" (police) attention was drawn to them because of their speed or stunting on our roads. Im not sure about where you live but here in shreveport we dont have time to focus 100% on looking for streetbikes to stop and write tickets to. BUT if you put yourself out there and force our hand, i have no problem taking your bike to our climate controlled storage facility where it will be sold to a more responsible rider later on in the year at a discounted price of course....... the proceeds from the bike go to the banks they were financed through and if there is any left over the police department gets it............
laugh.gif
  have a rice day my angry lttle friend.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Well said captain. If you break the law then you must pay the price. Running from the law is blaten disrespect for everyone else. The police are not the problem with crime not being solved in this world it is the lawyers that will get the POS off on a technicality. The movie"Devil's Advocate" is a prime example of what happens in the real world.
I belong to ABATE and think everyone should be a member. We fight for the rights of motorcyclist. If you are discrinated against because you ride a certain type of bike or you look a certain way then ABATE wants to here about it. We want to make sure that these things don't happen. ABATE also is trying to implement stiffer penalties for cagers that cause an accident that a motorcyclist is injured in.
We have a ride every year in April that goes to the capitol and meet with the different politicians that affect the laws in individual areas. These politician include the congressmen and senators from your area. The govenor might even be there.
Bottom line is join ABATE and have your voice be heard.

(captain @ Jan. 06 2007,14:39)
(502SCS @ Jan. 06 2007,13:24) Yes they are steriotyping all of us. In the media and on the books.
rock.gif

So if you are complaining that they are sterotyping cyclist and you are telling me that you are not one of the ones that violates the law, then why do you care if the punks that run get their bikes taken away?

It seems to me that you are talking out both sides of your mouth. I don't see this any differently than drug seizures, you get caught with smack and your car goes bye bye..... I personally think that anyone that gets busted with a concealed weapon WITHOUT A LICENSE in public should have their gun confiscated too.....

I was a cop on the street for 6 1/2 years I can personally tell you that pursuits are a necessary evil, the current problem is that when you catch them the PUBLIC like yourself wants to just overlook it and say well he just made a bad mistake... Looks to me like the folks that complain about pursuits are the same ones that complain when bikes go by at 150mph... Seems that Florida has come up with a pretty out of the box solution and now folks are saying that its unfair.....

hmmmm I say take em
Well Capm
I think I am speaking pretty clearly.
I can see where YOU are coming from. It cant be easy to see things in a pure "Joe Public" fashion when you have had the hassles and opinion training a cop gets. I have worked side by side law enforcement in my profession so I do have a feel for it.

I am willing to debate this with you point by point till the cows come home.
I am not some punk kid and have never been convicted of a felony.
I have been known since the age of 16 to go fast in the middle of nowhere (I try to keep the crazy stuff on the track)
Example.. Don’t even say this cant happen  
I do not feel that if I am on a back road in the middle of nowhere and blip the throttle on my Busa ( all it takes on our type of bike) and get stopped doing over 100 and it appears to the officer that I was attempting to elude him I may face having my bike taken from me ?? Sorry man but that is just too close to what most of us do not to complain
I never said I agreed with anyone running. If you choose to do that then be prepared to face jail time, heavy fines and risk killing yourself or others and face manslaughter. That to me represents a hefty incentive not to do it.
But who said that the only way to stop this is to steal property?
I guess I should define that. Someone takes your private property and does not pay you for it
By taking the bike does it stop that person from doing again as soon as he gets 4-5g's and buys another one? I will step out on a limb here and say NO
The Lawyer fees and fines will exceed that number by 100 fold! So really all the grabbing of that kids bike does is make something to sell at auction for more waste.
Anyone ever seen the Corvette cop cars ...Now that is efficient law enforcement vehicle.
On the Guns and Drugs statements...  Well anytime someone wants to justify a ridiculous amount of control over the public they always bring up Drugs, Guns or national security... Typical
These are totally different areas of discussion. Unless you compare a kid going 100 on a bike and a felon with a gun being the same thing
rock.gif

Even if there is a felon in a car , he has a gun .. gets stopped for a tail light what the hell does the car have to do with the felony crime ??
I hope you never have a rider in your car toss a bag under your seat in a traffic stop man ...
So if that is talking out of both sides I cant see it.

rock.gif

(RCKTMAN @ Jan. 06 2007,15:30) it seem to me that you either run from the police on a regular basis or you just dont like the police to have the ability to seize your property if you decide to get out on the road and endanger others.

a drivers license is a priveledge not somethin you are automatically entitled to. The roads we have to drive on are there for your conveinence not for your abuse and certainly not for wreckless endangerment of my family and friends.

We seized bikes nightly here in shreveport for a long time and believe it or not, all the running from police that we used to experience has cut way down. We rarely have a pursuit anyore because riders know that we will show up at their house with a rollback (wrecker) and snatch their SH!t.

I have photos of all the ones ive seized.... its pretty extensive and some of them are awesome bikes. I agree that it sucks to get your bike taken but all you have to do is pull over and talk.

OH one other thing. All the bikes that we have seized, were either called in on by motorist who were witnessing their stupidity or "our" (police) attention was drawn to them because of their speed or stunting on our roads. Im not sure about where you live but here in shreveport we dont have time to focus 100% on looking for streetbikes to stop and write tickets to. BUT if you put yourself out there and force our hand, i have no problem taking your bike to our climate controlled storage facility where it will be sold to a more responsible rider later on in the year at a discounted price of course....... the proceeds from the bike go to the banks they were financed through and if there is any left over the police department gets it............
laugh.gif
  have a rice day my angry lttle friend.    
laugh.gif
It is all fun and games for some I guess..
If it is a game of cat and mouse the stakes are pretty high.
I am not someone who runs however I am a big believer in the cops not having the right to take personal property. Fine the **** out of them, Throw their asses under the jail.

laugh.gif

(snakeyezzz @ Jan. 06 2007,15:45) Well said captain. If you break the law then you must pay the price. Running from the law is blaten disrespect for everyone else. The police are not the problem with crime not being solved in this world it is the lawyers that will get the POS off on a technicality. The movie"Devil's Advocate" is a prime example of what happens in the real world.
I belong to ABATE and think everyone should be a member. We fight for the rights of motorcyclist. If you are discrinated against because you ride a certain type of bike or you look a certain way then ABATE wants to here about it. We want to make sure that these things don't happen. ABATE also is trying to implement stiffer penalties for cagers that cause an accident that a motorcyclist is injured in.
We have a ride every year in April that goes to the capitol and meet with the different politicians that affect the laws in individual areas. These politician include the congressmen and senators from your area. The govenor might even be there.
Bottom line is join ABATE and have your voice be heard.
You ment this I assume
http://www.abateflorida.com/
I am !!

Back