There are Still Good People In The World

SSGT_B

Registered
So Friday we left Minnesota headed to Houston, TX so my wife could be at a job interview on Monday. We normally make it a 2 day trip and as usual did this time. First night we stopped in Joplin, mo then headed out the next day for the final leg. As we were about 20 miles out of Mcalister, OK I noticed my ABS light was on in the truck. No big deal I thought, it is a lifted truck and maybe it got hung on a tire and broke the wire. 18 miles out, battery gauge went to zero and started hearing noises. I pulled over at 11 miles and got out to inspect the truck, although left it running. As I pull over, ALL the gauges died!! Looked for a few min and decided we needed to get to a town quick. Drive it till it blows.

We made it 4 miles. Died and coasted to the side. No power at all

So we call the local ford dealer and asked if the had a tow truck. NOPE. they did however give us a number to call and let us know they closed at noon. It was 11. As we waited a farmer stopped to ask if we were ok and he could help. That for sure would not have happened back in Rochester. we talked a few min and then he left. A few min later another guy pulls over. I saw the military sticker on the window, asked about his unit, talked about my former unit and our current roadside troubles. The guy offered to put us up in his house until we could get our vehicle fixed. WOW That in itself was amazing. He didn't know us but invited us to his home. We talked a few min then he left. Finally, the wrecker showed up. Quick and to the point got us loaded up and off to the dealership 6 miles away. Arrived at 1145, Yikes. told them of the issue and was informed that even if they had he part, it would still be Monday. DAMIT

I asked about a rental car as we HAD to be in houston on Monday. NO LUCK. rental companies were closed until Monday. CRAP! At this point my wife is in tears, we are considering just buying a new truck and her quitting school so we could pay for it, and get to Houston. One of the mechanics walked outside and said to me, "come on, lets go get the parts you need. I can't see y'all stuck here." I asked what I would owe him, and he said nothing. It my good dead for the day. ..........

So a few hours later, a few trips back and forth to auto parts store to get an alternator, battery and belt, and we were on our way. The tech worked for free, the service writer stayed and helped, the owner of the dealership offered us lunch. But seriously I couldn't believe this was happening. We were dead stranded and they did not have to do anything for us, but they did. I gave them both some cash as I could not in good conscious have anyone give up their family time and any other time to help us, they refused but they got it anyhow. It all I could do to not even come close to saying thank you enough! We are in Houston now for a few days, then making the trip back to Rochester. God I hope nothing else goes wrong, but if it does, let me be in Mcalister, OK. They went above and beyond the need for help. I honestly feel as this was our sign to move back home as we have been wanting to for a while.

That’s always great to hear. Happens more than you think but IME, not in highly populated areas. Crossing Oregon one day on tour I stopped at a rest area and a guy there with his family talked me up about the CBX I was riding. I had passed a gas station that I knew was there from a prior trip but this time it was closed. I mentioned this and the probability that I would run out before the next town. I had towing insurance but didn’t favor waiting for them. I headed out first and sure enough, about ten miles from town I ran dry. As I was on the phone calling my tow the guy from the rest stop came by and stopped. I told him I didn’t mind waiting for a tow but he insisted that he would help. He drove to a nearby farm, borrowed a gas can, went into town and returned with gas for me. He even had to return the can to the farmer before getting on his way. Good folks (do) exist. BTW, I have the best towing service around thru Allstate called RVRoadhelp. They’ll tow whatever you’re riding or driving to wherever you have to go to get fixed. No extra mileage fees, no out of pocket expenses to ruin your trip. Very much worth it for my cars and bikes.

That is great that they did that for you. Nothing sucks as bad as being stranded, but people going out of their way to help sure makes the crazy world we live in that much better! Its good to hear of more stories like this. I guess I just never thought about how far a random act of kindness helps someone, until it was me on the receiving end.

Great story! Glad things worked out and even more so for the wonderful folks in McAlister, OK. Hope everything else goes swimmingly for you.

You know I'm here in Houston . :)
We’re here till Thursday. Have a few errands to tidy up. Staying out near weatheimer and the beltway. I’ll pm my number maybe we can meetup before we have to leave.

Back