Their has to be an easier way...

Fredyp33

Registered
I just looked at an .org brother's custom airbrushed 'Busa and one of the first thoughts that came to my mind was "Man, I'm glad I don't have to change the oil on that thing!"

Don't get me wrong, the workmanship was outstanding, the colors were meshed perfectly, and the added LED's were a bonus; but trying to take that side panel on and off to do the regular oil change, has to be tough.

Has anyone ever came up with a better system or modded their bike to easily do an oil change? I've seen some people purchase a "re-router" for their cars, but was wondering if anyone has seen one for a bike, specifically the 'Busa?

I've done/had done a dozen oil changes on my Busa. You just need to be careful. Mine isn't quite as elaborate.

customer_bikes_002 (Medium).jpg

IMG_2130 (Medium).JPG

Your plastics are much easier to get on and off than ours.

I have seen a member enlarge the "opening" in his fairing so that he can just reach in to replace the filter.

Whenever I get some free time, I'm gonna look into the possibility of cutting a little out of the front plastic guard behind the front wheel, and possibly taking a hole saw and cutting a hole directly underneath the drain plug.

If suzuki would design some connecting piece that could be removed underneath the bike where the two main side panels join, it would be much easier. I think this is a possibility.

Takes me about 4-5 minutes to take the right side cover off. About the same to put it back on.
Do it a couple of times and you find that getting the oil filter off and on is way harder than the same for the fairing.

I forgot to mention that I have extended frame sliders!

Sure stock fairings aren't that bad, but trying to bend the fairing around the slider starts to get complicated doing it by myself.

i have changed the oil on the k8 a few times now and was able to do it without pulling the fairing off at all. just losen the the bottom half of the fiaring, it flexes out enough to pull the filter down beside the pipe on the outside. BIG NOTE!!! DONT OVER PULL!!!

and this is ok on the busa?? I thought the filters are paper type...
what brand of filter do you use? if the filter stands up to 10k+ miles I will switch mine:thumbsup:

I've used the OEM and K&N filters both. No difference. I use full synthetic oil, and change at 5K.

I did an oil analysis twice, one with the filter change and one without. (5K and then 10K) They were within two percent of each other.

If you read the Gen I owners manual, it says to change the filter every 3 times (based on 3K) interval. They know something about that ****, otherwise they wouldn't say it.

It painful to let your mind believe that you can change the oil without the filter, but that was Old School, when gas was real, carburetors were standard, and no one ever tried this.

I have 71K on my engine and no problems so far.

Remember, fresh oil and a fresh filter, the filter has very little to capture in the beginning. Drain the oil, and the old filter once again has nothing to capture. You'll never get 100% of the old oil out on a service anyway, so just drain and fill. Saves money and the oil change takes 15 minutes max. :thumbsup:

Back