gurrera

Registered
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

This is the oldest motor vehicle car in the world that still runs. It was built one year before Karl Benz and Gottlieb Daimler invented the internal combustion engine.
The world's oldest running motor vehicle has been sold at auction for an astonishing $4.62 million, more than double the pre-sale estimate, as two bidders chased the price up in a three-minute bidding war.
The 1884 De Dion Bouton et Trepardoux Dos-a-Dos Steam Runabout drew a standing ovation as it was 'driven up onto the stage' at Friday's RM Auction in Hershey, Pennsylvania - to prove that this 127-year-old car really does run! - and attracted a starting bid of $500 000, which was immediately doubled to $1 million. Encouraged by the applauding crowd, the bidding went swiftly up to $4.2 million - 4.62 million including the 10 percent commission - before the car was knocked down to an 'unnamed buyer'.
The Dos-a-Dos (Back-to-Back) Steam Runabout was built in 1884 by George Bouton and Charles-Armand Trepardoux for French entrepreneur Count de Dion, who named it 'La Marquise' after his mother.
In 1887, with De Dion at the tiller, it won the world's first ever motor race (it was the only entrant to make the start line!) covering the 32 km from the Pont de Neuilly in Paris to Versailles and back in one hour and 14 minutes (an average of 25.9 km/h) and, according to contemporary reports, hitting a breathtaking 60 km/h on the straights.
La Marquise has only had four owners, remaining in one family for 81 years, and has been restored twice, once by the Doriol family and again by British collector Tom Moore in the early 1990's. Since then, it has taken part in four London-to-Brighton runs and collected a double gold at the 1997 Pebble Beach 'd'Elegance in California'.

Gurrera

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Good thing it wasn't being stored in a certain museum in Kentucky yesterday :whistle:

That's amazing...I had no idea! Awesome :thumbsup:

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

semi

Whoooosh!
Donating Member
Registered
it's amazing to look at something like this and imagine how they ever came up with the idea and equally amazing at how far we've come since then :beerchug:

methodicreign

Registered
part of me thinks Jay Leno hired the unknown bidder to buy it. that is still an insane piece if history. hopefully it's around for another 100+ years

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rubbersidedown Tell us about recent developments in this Covid world. Random Thoughts 55
busafan08 Hafthor 501kg world record deadlift In the News 14
rubbersidedown Love me all the different accents,dialects and mantras from the world over... Random Thoughts 2
rubbersidedown Shrewd investments as world economy collapses [Covid-19] Random Thoughts 15
rubbersidedown In this lawsuit happy world we live in...who will be the first? Random Thoughts 21
rubbersidedown Get your world news elsewhere Politics 14
rubbersidedown What are your people best known for around the world Random Thoughts 20
rubbersidedown Is pot/marijuana legal in yer part of the world? Random Thoughts 36
s3ns4i New to the turbo world Turbo 13
TurboBusa0704 1000hp!!! Just another day in the turbo world General Bike Related Topics 5
Johnnie Phatt BBC world/Wild New Zealand Off Topic 1
ottafish Mobile phone, (cell phone) detection cameras live - world first General Bike Related Topics 21
Sandow The Greatest, Fakest World Record Off Topic 14
Kiwi Rider World Leader Jacinda Adern and KIWI Uccints Politics 7
T World's fastest motorcycle riders as of June 2019 Top Speed 0
white.Busa Egbert van Popta - Wheelie world record with Busa General Bike Related Topics 18
Kiwi Rider Biggest GSXR Collection in the World! MUST SEE ! ! ! Videos 27
Sandow Bugatti testing the world's first 3D printed brake caliper Off Topic 3
Kiwi Rider Old Country Cottages and Olde World Charm . . . Off Topic 9
ali123 Identity Theft and a brave new world. Off Topic 28
mabupa There’s still good people in this world Off Topic 38
SSGT_B There are Still Good People In The World Random Thoughts 10
I Hello Busa World From The Uk New Owners Forum 6
Mike Chambers World Hayabusa Day India 2016 In the News 3
Pedro gonzalez New To The Busa World New Owners Forum 13
mattymatt716 Best Oil Filter In The World General Bike Related Topics 15
T World's Fastest "sit-on" Motorcycle Riders Top Speed 7
gurrera World's Safest Slingshot----oops Random Thoughts 12
gurrera Elevator To Top Of The One World Trade Center Random Thoughts 7
gurrera 2015 World Yo-yo Championship Finals Random Thoughts 0
mark3evo Suspension Mods - Out Of This World Gen II Busa Information 9
Sky Rider World Must Be Ending General Bike Related Topics 2
M Dave at World Wide Bearing General Bike Related Topics 1
gurrera World's Most Creative Statues Random Thoughts 4
gurrera It's a wonderful world Random Thoughts 3
GMbusa Hello from the Harley world... General Bike Related Topics 16
E Zurcher H2/H2R First Ride from Cycle World General Bike Related Topics 31
T 2015 Yamaha YZF-R1 Endurance World Championship Edition General Bike Related Topics 0
IG. My email to Roadracing World magazine,after reading about H2(R) in January 2015 issue General Bike Related Topics 84
Excursion05 Lightning LS-218 the fastest production bike in the world - oh and it's electric Random Thoughts 29
pashnit Full page Pashnit ad in Cycle World Mag General Bike Related Topics 20
mr8ball A Wonderful world Random Thoughts 6
busagirl4444 No More Busa! Hello 2014 BMW HP4 World General Bike Related Topics 38
gurrera World History In 2 Minutes Random Thoughts 4
VaBusa The world lost a great person today Random Thoughts 18
8 Coming from the cruiser world, how difficult is it to ride and get used to a Busa? New Owners Forum 8
05 Busa LE World Superbike *SPOILER ALERT* Twisties 0
dabigboi220 what up world gen 1 needs refreshing and improving General Bike Related Topics 14
T Most expensive production motorcycles in the world General Bike Related Topics 0
shawnski another rider lost his life in world super sport race in moscow.. Random Thoughts 5