The World is going down the tubes.

riironman

Donating Member
Registered
I saw the news last night and they said if there was a war against North Korea there would be over a million casualties.
sad.gif
 . I mean our military is spread thin already, Being the world's police sucks. It could be worse if China decides to help the North koreans( Thank god they are backing us right now). But it sucks that us Americans are not even safe outside of our own borders.  I hate the way things are going and I hate the feeling of being helpless of the way things are going down. (And yes I voted...But the common vote doesn't count anymore) I have a bad feeling and i hope thats all it is...A bad feeling. Now even illegal immigrants living in the USA are attacking us in our own country saying we dont cater to their needs and should adapt to their languages.  I am a project manager of a redevelopment company and alot of my contractors are getting spanish employees that can barely speak english. I can barely understand them. I am now going to take spanish courses to help communicate and to make my job easier...The question is ..why do i have to or why should I need to?  
rant.gif

mad.gif

My Father was a Korean War vet...
He passed away back in March of this year. He never got over Korea. To the end he still was haunted by what he saw and did in Korea...
He hated those nasty little yellow skinned bastards (his words)...
All his life he worried about another war with Korea. I just hope if there is another war with those little yellow skinned bastards it is short and decisive...
He was a bitter man as long as I can remember...
All due to Korea...
It was sad to me that his whole life seemed to be dominated by the memories of the North Koreans...
However, on the other hand, he had nothing but good things to say about the South Korean people...

David

Because of what your contractor is doing. If I bought a bike and felt I had to be a contortionist in order to ride it, I'd just get another bike.
wink.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong. Your issue isn't your contractor hiring spanish folk. Your issue is someone who happens to be spanish is willing on doing your job for less money.

I'm not trying to create friction with you, I'm just trying to see what you were getting at.

I was just ranting.. and yes..it I am feeling like i have to learn spanish. My company is a big company. I talked with a few project managers down south and they have been dealing with it for years. I am in New England and it just started coming up here. I just find it weird that kids are bringing home papers in spanish and english. They were forced to take a spanish class. I know its the future but I guess i am a 32 year old dinosaur.

Dude, we are not that far apart in age. You said it was just starting to reach your neck of the woods ... I guess that's the difference. I live in Miami, Florida. There aren't many places you can go where the menu isn't in english, spanish, and even creole. I guess I've been around it for so long I'm used to it. Even so, kids learning another language isn't a bad thing. Think about it, in your adulthood you feel almost as if you HAVE to learn spanish. By the time the current generation of school kids graduate, they'll already be equipped with that knowledge and that will only help them in the world they'll be stepping into. As you said ... it's the furture. Some say the country is deteriorating <-I know I spelled that wrong ... oh well but I say its evolving. Learning another language has never made anyone any dumber (at least not to my knowledge).

Chao!
smile.gif

Hubby works for a Japanese company...executives and managers come over from Japan to run areas of the company and can't speak English, but before their done with their job in the States, they know enough to get by and live here happily...hubby's picked up a few words to help understand them, but it's pretty much understood that they'll learn enough English to get by...I've never known these guys/gals to complain about having to learn English either...

Perhaps in this sue-happy country of ours, the Japanese should sue since they're having to learn English, but the Spanish-speaking individuals are not... LOL

I'm a firm believer in "you learn the language of the country you chose to live in" no matter what country that is...too much political correctness nowadays...I can understand your frustration...

(Spigga @ Oct. 11 2006,10:19) Dude, we are not that far apart in age. You said it was just starting to reach your neck of the woods ... I guess that's the difference. I live in Miami, Florida. There aren't many places you can go where the menu isn't in english, spanish, and even creole. I guess I've been around it for so long I'm used to it. Even so, kids learning another language isn't a bad thing. Think about it, in your adulthood you feel almost as if you HAVE to learn spanish. By the time the current generation of school kids graduate, they'll already be equipped with that knowledge and that will only help them in the world they'll be stepping into. As you said ... it's the furture. Some say the country is deteriorating <-I know I spelled that wrong ... oh well but I say its evolving. Learning another language has never made anyone any dumber (at least not to my knowledge).

Chao!
smile.gif
While I agree that learning another language is never a bad thing, think of the millions of Americans that went through the public school system, took their 2 or 3 years of French or Spanish to get in to college or just because they had no choice, get that first job, go about life doing your own thing and then *WHAM* you've got to learn a second language because the coworkers in YOUR COUNTRY refuse to learn English?

It always goes back to the fact that we don't have a designated language for America...it's assumed it's English and due to the political atmosphere and special interest groups following politicians around, most refuse to make English THE language for the United States...it's insane...

I have absolutely nothing against legal immigration, diversity in America, the giant melting pot theory, but give me one other country that's expected to mold their ideals, lifestyle and even language to accommodate an American?

well said Vabusa. learning another language is good...and i also agree..You should learn the language of the country you live in.

(VaBusa @ Oct. 11 2006,10:26)
Dude, we are not that far apart in age. You said it was just starting to reach your neck of the woods ... I guess that's the difference. I live in Miami, Florida. There aren't many places you can go where the menu isn't in english, spanish, and even creole. I guess I've been around it for so long I'm used to it. Even so, kids learning another language isn't a bad thing. Think about it, in your adulthood you feel almost as if you HAVE to learn spanish. By the time the current generation of school kids graduate, they'll already be equipped with that knowledge and that will only help them in the world they'll be stepping into. As you said ... it's the furture. Some say the country is deteriorating <-I know I spelled that wrong ... oh well but I say its evolving. Learning another language has never made anyone any dumber (at least not to my knowledge).

Chao!
smile.gif
While I agree that learning another language is never a bad thing, think of the millions of Americans that went through the public school system, took their 2 or 3 years of French or Spanish to get in to college or just because they had no choice, get that first job, go about life doing your own thing and then *WHAM* you've got to learn a second language because the coworkers in YOUR COUNTRY refuse to learn English?
Problem #1 ... just cause one steals something doesn't make it theirs.  
wink.gif

Also if your co-workers refuse to learn english, thats a matter which should be taken up with your boss. Afterall, (s)he is the one that hired them. They are not there to impress you and make you happy ... they are there to please their boss(es). That's who pays their salary and that's who their going to answer to.

It always goes back to the fact that we don't have a designated language for America...it's assumed it's English and due to the political atmosphere and special interest groups following politicians around, most refuse to make English THE language for the United States...it's insane...[/Quote]
Actually, the official language of the American government is english as of May 17, 2006. This amendment declared that the federal government had no obligation to provide documents or services in any language other than English; that if the federal government did choose to provide some documents or services in any language other than English, they were not
obligated to continue doing so; and that if the federal government issued forms in other languages, the English-language version of those forms would be legally pre-eminent.

Apart from that, if you open a restaurant in a spanish community it'll only make sense to cater to them because thats where the majority of your business will come from. Of course you don't HAVE to, but that wouldn't be a wise business choice.

I have absolutely nothing against legal immigration, diversity in America, the giant melting pot theory, but give me one other country that's expected to mold their ideals, lifestyle and even language to accommodate an American?[/Quote]
I'm assuming you meant "accomidate an immigrant". Fact is, no other can is expected to do so ... that's why they come here. Love it or hate it, its what this country was founded on.

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

And so I'll go back to my original post saying that perhaps other nations should come here and demand we learn Japanese, Chinese, whatever they need us to know so they better blend in...why not allow people of every other nation here with the perk of giving 'em a lawyer as they pass through customs so when they get sick of hearing "all that English" they can sue for companies and organizations, forcing others to learn their language so they feel all warm and fuzzy while they go about their day.

When does it stop?  That's where my concerns are...I'm not bashing anyone for coming here and wanting a better life and I'm certainly not going in to the tangent of "just cause one steals something doesn't make it theirs" comment you made; I'm assuming you're referring to the colonization of America, I wasn't there so I don't need to be held accountable for whomever and however America was "founded"...

And no where in my conversation up there did I ever say that people in business catering to say, the Hispanic population, should never speak Spanish...I was refering to the fact that a guy here, living in R.I. is now having to learn Spanish so he can better communicate with workers THAT CAME HERE FOR A BETTER LIFE.  Apples and oranges...if I walk in a Chinese restaurant, I don't expect them to NOT be speaking Chinese...however, if they want my money, it might help for them to understand what in the hell I just ordered...

Thanks for the info on what transpired on May 17th of this year; I did not know that...too bad politicians and lawyers will disallow that "law" from really meaning anything at all...

I don't hate America either, just hate the political BS, political correctness and lawyers that run it nowadays...

We're no longer the "melting pot"...we're the "sure fire bet to a better life no matter how you got here because you can always sue your way to the top and if you're still not happy once you get here, sue someone else" pot...

To be completely fair, that applies to Americans too...sue happy POS low life m*$#@* AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
all_coholic.gif

(VaBusa @ Oct. 11 2006,08:24) To be completely fair, that applies to Americans too...sue happy POS low life m*$#@* AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!  
all_coholic.gif
You should be sued for saying that!
smile.gif

(DAB @ Oct. 11 2006,11:25)
(VaBusa @ Oct. 11 2006,08:24) To be completely fair, that applies to Americans too...sue happy POS low life m*$#@* AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!  
all_coholic.gif
You should be sued for saying that!  
smile.gif
I'm sure someone's on that right now...
smileyexhibit.gif

I think everyone that comes to out country should have to learn out language. Why do we have change our society for all of the others. We should not have to learn there languages, they are in out country. When you go to another country do you see english at the bottom of signs to translate there language. Never! So why do we try to accomidate so much for others. They are taking over our country and changing it and ruining it in the process. Not good. We have to close out borders for all of the illegal aliens and get the ones that want to come over to learn english and get a job and not free load off of our government and out taxes we pay.

(VaBusa @ Oct. 11 2006,11:11) And so I'll go back to my original post saying that perhaps other nations should come here and demand we learn Japanese, Chinese, whatever they need us to know so they better blend in...why not allow people of every other nation here with the perk of giving 'em a lawyer as they pass through customs so when they get sick of hearing "all that English" they can sue for companies and organizations, forcing others to learn their language so they feel all warm and fuzzy while they go about their day.
Did you know that in the time of the Christopher guy who "discovered" America, there were over 300 languages spoken on this soil? I'll leave it at that.

When does it stop?  That's where my concerns are...I'm not bashing anyone for coming here and wanting a better life and I'm certainly not going in to the tangent of "just cause one steals something doesn't make it theirs" comment you made; I'm assuming you're referring to the colonization of America, I wasn't there so I don't need to be held accountable for whomever and however America was "founded"...[/Quote]
Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.
smile.gif

And no where in my conversation up there did I ever say that people in business catering to say, the Hispanic population, should never speak Spanish...[/Quote]
I was just saying in some instances it makes perfect sense to not have everything 100% english even though it the American language.
I was refering to the fact that a guy here, living in R.I. is now having to learn Spanish so he can better communicate with workers THAT CAME HERE FOR A BETTER LIFE.  Apples and oranges...if I walk in a Chinese restaurant, I don't expect them to NOT be speaking Chinese...however, if they want my money, it might help for them to understand what in the hell I just ordered...[/Quote]
If you ordered off of their menu, I'd assume they would. Besides, he emphsised his point ... the lowest bidder wins ... he didn't say "only the spanish get the jobs". It has little to do with the language barrier.

Thanks for the info on what transpired on May 17th of this year; I did not know that...too bad politicians and lawyers will disallow that "law" from really meaning anything at all...[/Quote]
You're welcome. And just like almost everything else handled by the government, it was done to cover their own arse. It was put in place for official government documents ... not your local Taco Bell menu. Sad truth, but the truth nonetheless.

Like I told him, I've been around this kind of thing for so long it doesn't affect me. But as I said to him, and he to me, its the future ... love it or hate it. I can understand why you and many others may get upset about things like this, and to that I'll recite the serenity prayer:

"God, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and the Wisdom to know the difference."

I remember about 10 years ago, Miami put into effect the 10 digit dialing where as before only 7 were needed. At first we complained because we kept forgetting to enter the area code first. Now its something we don't even think about. But guess what, whether you love or hate those 3 extra digits you have no choice but to utilize them if you want to use the phone. That's just the way it is.

Back