The Windshield

Lumpy

Registered
Hey guys, i just ordered a zero gravity double bubble and was wondering if anyone has had their windshield off. If so is there any hidden fasteners etc i might run into?? is it as straighforward as it looks or is there a trick? looks like its just a few bolts. if anyone could give me a breif sequence ( ie do the inner fairngs have to come off, mirrors off or not etc) i would appreciate it. i have tried to download the service manual from narcissus but it keeps telling mt the file is not valid and various other random errors. thanks in advance
lumpy
iamwithstupid.gif

remove the two top screws ; two push pins on the inside and pop out the rubber that the "top screws screwed in to". and the windshield will just pull stright out plain and simple

oh; when you try to put the rubber parts back in.... (after the new shield has been put on ) use a little wd-40 on the rubber to help it slide back through the holes...

Hey guys, i just ordered a zero gravity double bubble and was wondering if anyone has had their windshield off.  If so is there any hidden fasteners etc i might run into?? is it as straighforward as it looks or is there a trick?  looks like its just a few bolts.  if anyone could give me a breif sequence ( ie do the inner fairngs have to come off, mirrors off or not etc) i would appreciate it.  i have tried to download the service manual from narcissus but it keeps telling mt the file is not valid and various other random errors.  thanks in advance
lumpy
iamwithstupid.gif
It is straight forward to the point of being silly.

No need to remove anything but the two hex screws by the mirrors and the little rubber grommets they screw into.  The rubber gromets take some tweaking so be patient and use some finesse.  No need to take anything else off, your screen will slide straight back and off.

When re-installing the zero g, be sure to get some electrical tape and run it right along the leading edge of the screen ( the little Tab up front) and along most of the edge, along the top where it bolts on etc.  This is done to give your screen some added thickness as the zero g's are quite a bit thiner thatn stock and will start vibrating without the tape.  Not dangerous just annoying.  And be careful with the Zero G they scratch really easy.

I only use Plexus and one of those super soft Micro-fibre cloths to clean it.  Pep boys for the cloths, about 5$ dealer probably for the Plexus.  Works like a charm.

I would recommend spit as apposed to WD-40 as well.  The fittings are pressure fittings and you do not want them to stay lubbed up.  Besides spit is plentiful and free...water will work too, just not as hardcore...

I'll second Revlis' tip on the electrical tape around the edges. I've got a Zero Gravity screen too and it will definitely eliminate some aggravating buzzing and fit more snugly as well.

I would recommend spit as apposed to WD-40 as well.  The fittings are pressure fittings and you do not want them to stay lubbed up.  Besides spit is plentiful and free...water will work too, just not as hardcore...
What he said, although I ate a half a box of Oreos. That makes the spit super slick. When the Oreo bits dry, they act like glue. Almost as strong as Loctite, but close.

Oreos rule!

Hey guys as always thanks gor the info. My double bubble should be in tomorrow and i'll slap it in there (the windshield that is). Guess i'll have to stop by the store and get some oreo's on the way home as i'm fresh outta locktite. anyways thanks again
Lumpy

Back