The verdict is in...

Back injuries suck! Good luck with your surgery and tell your husband he can't ride the Busa while you're down. It will make you suffer more
laugh.gif

Michelle,

Sorry to hear about this.
sad.gif
You have herniated the L4-5 vertibrae. That is the one that takes the most abuse in the spine. Did you get to see it from the top? That'll tell you how bad it really is, but if it's causing you pain it's bad enough.

Surgery will help relieve the pain for a while. The disc will most likely rupture again, even if you do EXACTY what the doctor says. The second surgery will remove most of the disc, and leave you vulnerable to athritic wear of that vertibrae, but that will take a few years to show up. The disc will never heal. It has no blood flow to help new cells grow. It just scars over and plugs the hole.

No that I have totaly depressed you. The relief you'll get from surgery will be wonderful! Get up and moving (carefully) the next day. Don't let them discharge you for atleast 4 days post-op (they'll try to get you out in 1 day)! The pain meds they give you will make you unable to function for a few days. Try to get off the heavy drugs before you go home (You'll be much better off)! Take it easy for a few months, not just a few weeks.

I'm wishing you a speedy recovery and healing. Don't plan on riding until next spring. Your spine will thank you for it!

Doug
face7.gif

Thanks everyone...I love you guys and gals!!!

Reminder - I'm HIGH, but still love you all...although, I'm a bit more skeered of the surgery now having seen that it sometimes doesn't work, sometimes comes back, seems I have to really do what the doc says...man, this sucks!!!!!

Mommy, make the bad things go away...I don't want no stinkin' surgery...
sad.gif

Have I mentioned that I miss you guys? Yep, I do...I keep trying to catch up, then I kinda fall asleep 'cause of the pills...and no, I'm not sharing 'em! I have almost 50 precious little pills, one with a refill...should go for a pretty penny around my office...damn druggies...
laugh.gif

What were we talking about?
wink.gif
Dam Michelle
wow.gif

Sorry to hear about this. I hope everything goes well, and wish you a fast recovery. Let us know if you need anything...other than more little white pills
wink.gif

Don't worry too much about the surgery. It is risky, but procedures have become so sophisticated that they really aren't as dangerous anymore. Also...problems usually only re-occur due to the patient not taking the time to heal properly, or not doing their physical therapy. My Dad had to go in 3 times for the same lower back surgery, but the repeats were all his fault.

Take care M...our thoughts are with you
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Michelle,

Sorry to hear about this.
sad.gif
 You have herniated the L4-5 vertibrae.  That is the one that takes the most abuse in the spine.  Did you get to see it from the top?  That'll tell you how bad it really is, but if it's causing you pain it's bad enough.

Surgery will help relieve the pain for a while.  The disc will most likely rupture again, even if you do EXACTY what the doctor says.  The second surgery will remove most of the disc, and leave you vulnerable to athritic wear of that vertibrae, but that will take a few years to show up.  The disc will never heal.  It has no blood flow to help new cells grow.  It just scars over and plugs the hole.

No that I have totaly depressed you.  The relief you'll get from surgery will be wonderful!  Get up and moving (carefully) the next day.  Don't let them discharge you for atleast 4 days post-op (they'll try to get you out in 1 day)!  The pain meds they give you will make you unable to function for a few days.  Try to get off the heavy drugs before you go home (You'll be much better off)!  Take it easy for a few months, not just a few weeks.

I'm wishing you a speedy recovery and healing.  Don't plan on riding until next spring.  Your spine will thank you for it!

Doug  
face7.gif
Well...now I'm depressed!
sad.gif

My surgery is outpatient...so, they don't even keep me overnight unless there are complications...hrmmm...I'm thinking my surgery is surely a lot different from what you've had. I don't think anything's ruptured yet...and they did show me the disk from the top; can't recall how bad it looked, just that the doc knew why I was in pain...
smile.gif

Had my epidural yesterday. The disk is bulging out of the right side of my vertebrae, yet most of my pain is on the left side. Docs are scratching their heads on this one...so, the doc places the epidural to the right side and it goes numb. The left side is where I'm hurting, so I can still feel the pain, but it's subdued. I'm still taking percocet and flexeril...

Thanks everyone...I cannot wait to get back to my regularly scheduled programs. I feel like I'm rotting away in bed...
sad.gif
I'm miserable...and I want to ride more than I can say...it's pissing me off...
mad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

Best of luck.... Have you spoken to a Chiropractor? I had a herniated disc (same area) my Chiropractor has kept me from surgery so far. I was in the hospital for four days in February (incapacitated because of the herniated disc). Went to my chiropractor when I could walk and had immediate relief and with general maintenance (adjustments) have been riding ever since. Just a suggestion, possible alternative to surgery. Either way my prayers go out to you.
I did go the chiropractor route last time I had this pain...probably had 12 visits in a few weeks time. I always felt wonderful when I left, but it's because the doc would relax the muscles in my back that were so tight from the pain...always went away within an hour or so, so I stopped going...not covered by insurance and it got pretty pricey...
sad.gif

Thanks though...
smile.gif
I probably should go to him for "maintenance" once I'm 100% again...it did feel nice to have my back and neck cracked...

I'll pray for all to come out fine...

Hmm...

Now I wonder if I need surgery? I believe my results where one crushed, one herniated and 3 pinched...or something like that. I know there are 2 at the end (on the S's) and 3 mid back.
rock.gif

I'll pray for all to come out fine...

Hmm...

Now I wonder if I need surgery?  I believe my results where one crushed, one herniated and 3 pinched...or something like that.  I know there are 2 at the end (on the S's) and 3 mid back.    
rock.gif
Thanks Vanessa...

If you're having pain, insist on an MRI...all the x-rays in the world won't show disk damage...I waited for 3 years for a doc to finally give me an MRI to see why I complain so much!

DANG Michelle!!!  I leave the site for a few weeks and you go and hurt yourself.  WOW! I must really have a very profound affect on you huh?
rock.gif
smile.gif
 Anyway, here's to you having a speedy and successful recovery.
laugh.gif

Yeah, Brian..I've been beating myself up over you taking a hiatus from the board...DON'T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!
tounge.gif

Actually, I'd been meaning to PM you and just hadn't done it yet...I notice who's hiding from h.org over time...then, I hunt 'em down!
smile.gif

smile.gif

Hey girl!!! I just got back from a 10 day adventure on my scooter and I'm trying to catch up on the current events! I'm so sorry to hear about what's going on with you!! I guess I don't know the whole story but my thoughts are with you!!!! I wish we were in closer territory and I would come and help you out with meals and kids etc!!!! I have had surgery myself so I know the routine!!! You just take care of yourself and let people help!!! Sometimes that's tough - I know! It's hard to just sit back and let some one else take care of you but you really need to do just that!!! I'll be thinking about you! So you just hang in there and know that you will feel better soon!!!I hope all goes well! Keep us posted!!!!

thumbs-up.gif

Got my MRI results yesterday...herniated disk in my lower spine, between vertebrae 17 and 18 I think...

I'm scheduled for microsurgery on August 26th, then nothing strenuous for 6 weeks or I risk another herniated disk...so, I'll likely be missing most of the good riding again this fall...
mad.gif

Doc said I've probably had this for a few years and when it flares up, I go down...the myriad of drugs aren't doing much for the pain, so tomorrow I'm getting an epidural to keep me comfy before the procedure...

Ahh, an epidural, not just for when you're having babies!
laugh.gif

Here, 'cause I know how useless threads are without pics...
tounge.gif
...You look better in a color pic M
tounge.gif

Good luck with that surgery gurl!!

tounge.gif

Back