The Unltimate 10K Tune Up!!

Lunar Busa

Registered
I am close to coming to 10k miles on my 2008 and I was wanted to do an tune up. I have help an Factory Pre Paid Maintenence since I have owned it and now that deal is timed out so I need to do my own work. Well on my list is an new chain and possibly sprockets. I was told you always need to change your sprockets everytime you change out your chain due to wear that the new or old sprocket will create premature wear. Also I noticed that the aftermarket front sprocket does not offer an rubber damper to reduce buzz. I have encountered this issue with my 1st gen busa and I will not use an sprocket does not have this damper on there. Is there an aftermarket company who makes one with a rubber damper like stock? I also need to replace the air filter and oil with filter. I was wondering what brands do you suggest for all these jobs.

Would OEM front sprocket take care of your concern ? IMHO OEM filters and oil. I do my oil and filter for $26 and air filter for around $50 from my dealer.

I don't know what kind of chain maintenance you di, but I'm going on 24K with the sprockets and chain that came from the factory on my '08 and I don't ride easy.

i like the k&n oil filter because it has a nut built into it so you don't have to mess around with a filter wrench.

Not sure on the aftermarket sprockets, but i put 33k on my OEM chain and sprockets. I cleaned my chain with nothing but kerosene, and oiled it every few hundred miles.

I'm at 14k with no signs of chain or sprocket wear. I'm I don't think I abuse it but do ride spirted and oil it after every ride.

During the 8k tune up they made a note on my visit that I am due for my chain to be replaced. I priced all this out from the factory and OH MY GOD do they want a pretty penny over $600 in parts alone. I want factory quality without factory price. I know the rear sprocket is no biggie on aftermarket, but the front I definantly want stock. But that one sprocket is around 90 bucks. RETARDED!! The cheapest RK chain I have seen is around 300. Is there cheaper quality alternatives out there? I also been looking into aftermarket reusable air filters like BMC and K&N just wondering which creates the most HP. I am considering going Synthetic oil. Any suggestions on weight and brand. Since I live 90 miles to the closest dealer I was thinking about a mechanical oil filter which is all metal that you reuse and clean. Do these filters offer protection as factory paper filiment?? Or do I just need to order over the web to avoid the drive. Any imput is useful from the experts on the ORG

Dealer was probably trying to soak you on the chain and sprockets unless you ignored them. You would really have to thrash to wear them out so soon and it looks like you try to follow the maintenance schedule which includes cleaning and lubing the chain every 600 miles.
Post some photos of the chain and sprockets and we can see if they are bad enough to replace.

Both K&N and BMC works great!

Most of us use synthetic after break-in. I use Mobil 1 4t Racing, many use amsoil, use the factory recommended weight.

Not a fan of steel mesh oil filters. They are designed for racing where the engine is rebuilt and the oil is changed very often. I feel the paper ones are more efficient and I use the OEM filter.

Ok thanks on the info on the oil and filter. I am going to ride out the chain and sprockets long as i can until the chain is completely done. One more question on chains though. Whats the main difference on O ring and X ring chains beside price!?

If you post a photo of your chain and rear sprocket we can evaluate it for you. If it really is toast so quickly you ride very hard and it isn't worth the risk and should be replaced. Again I don't think it should be bad so quickly.

The only difference between an O ring chain and an X ring chain is the shape of the sealing ring. O rings have a cross sectional shape that is circular. An X ring has a cross section that looks like an X. The X provides two sealing surfaces instead of one.

X ring chains typically seal as good or better than O rings and create less friction as they articulate.

Go here D.I.D Racing Chains and Dirt Star? Rims

Not sure on the aftermarket sprockets, but i put 33k on my OEM chain and sprockets. I cleaned my chain with nothing but kerosene, and oiled it every few hundred miles.

same here - 33k on the OEM chain. Unless you have been abusing it, there is no reason you'd need a chain at 10k

Ok guys!!! I believe I am going to hold out on the chain and sprockets until further date!! Thank you so much!! I think it just needs to be adjusted, it does has some bit of slack from chain stretch!!

Ok guys!!! I believe I am going to hold out on the chain and sprockets until further date!! Thank you so much!! I think it just needs to be adjusted, it does has some bit of slack from chain stretch!!

Well understand that riding habits, roads, and maintenance can make a tremendous difference in chain life. If you never maintained your chain you might need to replace it. If it's worn out replace it. The two I replaced basically ran out of adjustment and skipped a tooth under load ........... time for a chain. :laugh:

Not to mention you can loose a case if that bad boy breaks.

About every thousand miles or so I put my girl on the rear stand after a good ride and the chains hot, pull out the WD-40, clean her up, and apply some maxim chain wax. You can do so much of the maintenance on your Busa.

im with everyone elis on the chain should be fine at 10k.. for oil i use amsoil 10w-40 with a amsoil fillter eaom-109.. it can cost alittle more but look at it like your paying for 2 oil changes up front.. its alittle cheaper for me becouse im a dealer..imo your lookin best bang for your buck with oil then go with the rotella syn with a k&n oil fillter..

Back