Votes: 92 100.0%
  • Stage 1 Turbo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

psycobusa

Registered
im sure its been asked a hundred times before and will prolly be asked a hundred more times later, but its the decision between the two which lies before me and i must make a choice soon before my head explodes.....much like my engine did a few weeks back flamethrowingsmiley.gif

i have never ridden a bike with either mod, so i dont know diddly bout which one would suit me best. personally, im kinda leaning toward the 220HP 1397 kit via capenter racing because i think it would be
1. reliable
2. longer lasting...not as much of a strain on engine parts verses the turbo
3. less of a headache....that may fall in with reliable...always seems ppl w/ turbos have bad luck w/ em
4. much easier to tune....no need for diff maps because of diff boost settings.
5. i like to top it out for as long as possible...think i heard this wasnt good on a turbo???
6. drivability maybe an issue....and i dont want a stretched swing arm

some of those may not be correct, but like i said, ive never ridden a turbo bike so all i know is what ive heard.

all i can think the turbo has going for itself is that you get more power for about the same dough?
im guessing a turbo would be about $4500 tuned and ready to ride....the carpenter package is the same but thats if you drop off the bike and they do all the work. i think ill just send em what they need and have a qualified mechanic close by to put it all together and tune it for me which should be considerably less.

anyways, lets see what everyone else thinks.....

friend has a turbo busa, one mean machine. i have heard the storys of the big bores running hot.

I'm trying to decide between Turbo and the piston cams change. Piston cams is cheaper and definitely a sleeper at 200 + HP.

I think we hear the folks that have trouble with Turbo installs and we never get the I love my Turbo stories. I've spoken with several and had some names thrown at me. I think you just got to get someone that's been there and done that.

The 220 HP is with racing fuel only, the turbo produces a detuned 250 for the street on 87. Race fuel ain't cheap brother. On 87 you're probably looking at just over 200.

(thepushercg @ Jun. 26 2007,05:34) friend has a turbo busa, one mean machine. i have heard the  storys of the big bores running hot.
if they run hot someone isn't a very good tuner or builder eek2.gif

(SnapAttack @ Jun. 26 2007,20:52) It's been said here before. There is no replacement for displacement  super.gif
Brother if forced air induction that is capable in some cases of twice the HP gain at near the same price I don't know what is. My 02' I recently sold in prep for a new 08' had a stage 1 velocity setup ,and I have rode well built 1397's in the past and let me tell you find yourself a good builder and tune guy or put it together yourself and have it tuned most able bodied guys can install a stage1 setup.. The key to a reliable turbo is the tune up I decided the kind of HP#s I knew the turbo was capable of and then had it tuned to about 20 or so under that number with a moderate amount of boost 6-7lbs and when I had sold it had put almost 10k miles on it with a completely stock internals...

(Tchill2much @ Jun. 26 2007,23:39)
(SnapAttack @ Jun. 26 2007,20:52) It's been said here before. There is no replacement for displacement  super.gif
Brother if forced air induction that is capable in some cases of twice the HP gain at near the same price I don't know what is. My 02' I recently sold in prep for a new 08' had a stage 1 velocity setup ,and I have rode well built 1397's in the past and let me tell you find yourself a good builder and tune guy or put it together yourself and have it tuned most able bodied guys can install a stage1 setup.. The key to a reliable turbo is the tune up I decided the kind of HP#s I knew the turbo was capable of and then had it tuned to about 20 or so under that number with a moderate amount of boost 6-7lbs and when I had sold it had put almost 10k miles on it with a completely stock internals...
Point taken. I have only had turbos, superchargers, NOS, big bores/high coompressions on cars... current project makes number 17 over a 15 year span... so I agree on your point about finding a good tuner ( that's why I'm going to JC). Twice the HP gain at half the price... sure so why stop there... just put a NOS shot on there for even more "bang for buck". My reply was simply to spin off his first post and my opinion of what he's looking for. Again, I don't know bikes that well, but in cars I've taken plenty money off of inducted small blocks with a N/A big blocks. Turbo's I like more than NOS and less than superchargers. I build my car motors with the intention of adding a turbo or supercharger or NOS. Just "bolting" up a STOCK motor makes no sense to me if your SERIOUS about kicking bootie.

get the turbo tuned by someone who knows what they are doing and you won't have a problem.

I"m going 3 yrs strong on my turbo bike on 7lbs boost and haven't had a single problem.

i guess my only real concern now about the turbo is long term top end speed.....we have a nice long 5mi straight stretch of road over here that i like to top it out on and i also plan on going to the texas mile sometime......ive been told turbos dont like that kind of abuse. is there anything to alleviate that problem and if so, how much dough is it going to take?

(jjmetheny @ Jul. 02 2007,08:53)
(psycobusa @ Jun. 28 2007,16:59) is there anything to alleviate that problem and if so, how much dough is it going to take?
intercooler, $800-$1000
or water injection for about $600.

I would prefer innercooler myself but I run h20 now because I didn't have the $$ at the time of the install.

Let me start by saying...I have never had a vehicle with a turbo but I have known several that have.

Now..my $.01, I would go with a turbo. There is something about the sound of a turbo whine and the sound of the blow-off valve that just make me smile!!! biggrin.gif

Hey thats my line!!! super.gif

super.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back