The "STUNNAH'S" 1st Boosted ride...

I agree NE...  It seems to me that one thing leads to another quickly on these high HP bikes.  Run up to boost, may lose a head gasket... lose a head gasket, may lose a piston...  need new pistons, might as well add new rods...   now higher HP=new output shaft, chain, sprockets...  now ya need a billet sprocket cover in case the chain snaps...  ya need an intercooler, water injection, etc. etc. etc....

I am hoping I am at the plateau at this point on mine...
I hope I have made it to the end also...I don't want to change my screen name to "DOC STUNNAH"...
evil.gif

I agree NE...  It seems to me that one thing leads to another quickly on these high HP bikes.  Run up to boost, may lose a head gasket... lose a head gasket, may lose a piston...  need new pistons, might as well add new rods...   now higher HP=new output shaft, chain, sprockets...  now ya need a billet sprocket cover in case the chain snaps...  ya need an intercooler, water injection, etc. etc. etc....

I am hoping I am at the plateau at this point on mine...
no one said chasing crazy hp is cheap or easy.

I have some general rules of thumb that I would go by if I were doing it again (though unlikely).  I am NOT an expert, but these are my thoughts...

First, decide if you want 220-250 HP range.  If so, you MAY be able to pull this off with a less expensive kit (Motorhead's Ghetto kit looks REAL nice for the $$$).  In this power range, the stock head gasket MAY hold and the stock pistons SHOULD be OK.  Can probably get away without an intercooler or water injection.  MIGHT be able to get away with a stock clutch for a while...   If I had to do it again, this is likely where I would stay.  In the 250-300 range, the above set up is risky, in my opinion, unless you got a professional builder you trust (i.e., NLR, Motorhead, Velocity, etc.).

If you are looking to bust into the 300s, then you at least need to add a spacer plate, I recommend pistons and larger wrist pins, should get an upgraded clutch (lock-up), should have water injection or intercooling, will certainly need larger injectors (or secondaries), should think about an aftermarket fuel rail, larger output shaft, maybe even undercut tranny....

If you are looking in the 400+ range...  have fun!  This would be a blast, but now you are talking SERIOUS bread.  Aftermarket rods, pistons, boost controlers, etc. etc.

Just some thoughts from a guy who learned the hard way...

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081184061 -->

I have some general rules of thumb that I would go by if I were doing it again (though unlikely).  I am NOT an expert, but these are my thoughts...

First, decide if you want 220-250 HP range.  If so, you MAY be able to pull this off with a less expensive kit (Motorhead's Ghetto kit looks REAL nice for the $$$).  In this power range, the stock head gasket MAY hold and the stock pistons SHOULD be OK.  Can probably get away without an intercooler or water injection.  MIGHT be able to get away with a stock clutch for a while...   If I had to do it again, this is likely where I would stay.  In the 250-300 range, the above set up is risky, in my opinion, unless you got a professional builder you trust (i.e., NLR, Motorhead, Velocity, etc.).

If you are looking to bust into the 300s, then you at least need to add a spacer plate, I recommend pistons and larger wrist pins, should get an upgraded clutch (lock-up), should have water injection or intercooling, will certainly need larger injectors (or secondaries), should think about an aftermarket fuel rail, larger output shaft, maybe even undercut tranny....

If you are looking in the 400+ range...  have fun!  This would be a blast, but now you are talking SERIOUS bread.  Aftermarket rods, pistons, boost controlers, etc. etc.

Good points. For me though I dont like the lock up clutch when you are looking at over 300hp. with that much torque you can do a lot of damage to other parts of the bike. Toss of the coin for how you wnat your take-offs...

Doc, thanks for bringing up these points. Before getting anything done to my Busa I knew I had to decide between all motor or forced induction. Considering my personality I knew what ever I went with I would want the other. Now at 207hp My bike makes no where near what your or any turbo Busa makes on this site. But, I must say it's very streetable and has proven to be reliable so far (fingers crossed). I'll probably go with a small big bore this summer, but that'll be it. I'm hopin' to make around 220-225. All in all I kinda wish I had boost. Love the idea,look,and I can't get enough of the sound and most importanly the performance. Thanks again.

Doc, thanks for bringing up these points. Before getting anything done to my Busa I knew I had to decide between all motor or forced induction. Considering my personality I knew what ever I went with I would want the other. Now at 207hp My bike makes no where near what your or any turbo Busa makes on this site. But, I must say it's very streetable and has proven to be reliable so far (fingers crossed). I'll probably go with a small big bore this summer, but that'll be it. I'm hopin' to make around 220-225. All in all I kinda wish I had boost. Love the idea,look,and I can't get enough of the sound and most importanly the performance. Thanks again.
Wanna trade?

Good points.  For me though I dont like the lock up clutch when you are looking at over 300hp.  with that much torque you can do a lot of damage to other parts of the bike.  Toss of the coin for how you wnat your take-offs...
Interesting point. However, I had heard that non-lockups will slip too much with 300 or more ponies on board, thus burning up the clutch... or?

I have a multi-stage MTC lock-up on mine. At first, I hated it, now I like it. I can tell the difference between it and my stocker instantly. Just gotta get used to not using the clutch above 8k or so....

Good points.  For me though I dont like the lock up clutch when you are looking at over 300hp.  with that much torque you can do a lot of damage to other parts of the bike.  Toss of the coin for how you wnat your take-offs...
Interesting point.  However, I had heard that non-lockups will slip too much with 300 or more ponies on board, thus burning up the clutch...  or?

I have a multi-stage MTC lock-up on mine.  At first, I hated it, now I like it.  I can tell the difference between it and my stocker instantly.  Just gotta get used to not using the clutch above 8k or so....
Could be mine was slipping enugh on the dyno that I could not get a steady past 310hp. Then we put in super strong springs and pushed some more out of it. I can feel the difference in the lever presure. Your multi stage most likely saves just ripping the hell out of the motor.

Ah yes more then the kit is the TUNE....  OR BETTER YET EXPLAINING THE TUNE.  I hope that is what we are helping with.  My bike is (knock on wood) running very good now.  Most don't know the following info about my bike.

Lots of things just a little at a time as I would learn more and more.  Also different climates to adjust to when I ride so different tunes etc..  The biggest problem  I had as a Turbo rookie cost me dearly.  Melted the poop out of the head and 3 (count them 3) pistons. I did this by trying to break the 200mph (true) barrier.  came close that time @ 198(GPS) I went with a new engine from a very low milage bike wich had a great engine.  I had .org buliders help me with putting it back together with the turbo back on the new engine.  I Buildt it stronger better BUT SMARTER, and had some parts left over.  It could have been avoided.   So all you Turbo newbies jsut keep reading all you can and compare all the systems beifits etc.  don't always go for the big HP nless you are going to race.  Yhea easy to say!!  learn from our mistakes and our choices.  we are not always right.  Sounds like what i use to tell my boy's as they were growing up.  
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081284406 -->

biggrin.gif

So all you Turbo newbies jsut keep reading all you can and compare all the systems beifits etc.  don't always go for the big HP nless you are going to race.  Yhea easy to say!!  learn from our mistakes and our choices.  we are not always right.  Sounds like what i use to tell my boy's as they were growing up.  
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Ninja Eater...You still got a lot of boys and we're still growing up...
evil.gif

biggrin.gif

So all you Turbo newbies jsut keep reading all you can and compare all the systems beifits etc.  don't always go for the big HP nless you are going to race.  Yhea easy to say!!  learn from our mistakes and our choices.  we are not always right.  Sounds like what i use to tell my boy's as they were growing up.  
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Ninja Eater...You still got a lot of boys and we're still growing up...  
evil.gif
W-O-R-D!!!!!!!!!!!

biggrin.gif

The "STUNGUN" is back and running strong...Took it out for awhile Sunday...I need a liquid filled boost gauge...Any suggestions and what is the install like???
evil.gif

Got the Auto Meter LFG installed yesterday...Went for a ride and it performed flawlessly...A must upgrade...Anybody that is purchasing a system be sure and ask if the LFG or digital display is available...
evil.gif

Back