the speedo blues

O Holy P

Registered
I was riding around today and noticed my speedometer needle was going through heroin withdrawals or something. It was all fidgety and reading erratic. I tried to kill the bike at a light and restart it letting it go through the full sweep and prime before starting. But it did not help. I have a speedo healer on the bike, would this be the cause? I have not looked at it yet, just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue.

I parked the bike in the garage because it was about to rain cats & dogs so I took the truck back to work after lunch. :laugh:

Did it quit working at any point? I forgot to mention that it totally quit working just stayed at 0mph for about the last 2 miles I rode it...I will check the bolt though, hopefully that is the cause!

I would check the connections for the SH, disconnect and reconnect if necessary.

Loose connects is the first place I would look. Specifically the ground connections.
Excellent troubleshooting points above should lead you to the answer.

Let us know what you find as the cause.

Ok, got a chance to look at it and the sensor was in tight, I pulled it out to clean it anyway...looked fine and re-secured. Took it for a ride and same jittery readings being shown on the speedometer. I unplugged the Speedohealer and viola, it's all smooth. So I guess I got a bad unit??? I got it from Tim @ Pashnit, so I'll get in contact with him and see what the deal is......

May not be a bad unit...how long have you had it on the bike. The speedohealer connectors arent weather-tite connectors so it may just have a bit of corrosion in there. I'd try cleaning up the connectors inside and plugging it back in and see if that works before I went throught he trouble of swapping out for a new one.

It's been on the bike since August/September '08 I believe, but it sat in a climate controlled garage between October '08 to June '09 with it only being ridden less than 100 miles during that time. I will double check the connectors and give it a shot. That would be nice not to have to remove it! I had all the wires run so neat and with the factory harness. :)

I have the same problem on mine not just with the speedo but all the gauges. check the connection in the back of the cluster an make sure it's in there tight an there are no problems with it {maybe a crack or something letting the pins touch each other}. my connector got messed up when I wrecked an I am sure that is the problem with mine. good luck it's annoying as hell so I know how you feel:laugh:

I have the same problem on mine not just with the speedo but all the gauges. check the connection in the back of the cluster an make sure it's in there tight an there are no problems with it {maybe a crack or something letting the pins touch each other}. my connector got messed up when I wrecked an I am sure that is the problem with mine. good luck it's annoying as hell so I know how you feel:laugh:

i had the same problem i guess mine came loose from to many wheelies :rofl:

Well, upon closer inspection of the female terminals from the Speedohealer harness, I think I may have found/fixed the problem. I removed them one by one out of the connector and they looked to be a little spread out. So I just crushed them down a little so they would make better contact with the male connector. Re-installed and plugged it in and took it for a spin...so far it is smooth again! I hope this is the issue. I only tested it for about a half mile. Then the rain was moving in. I went ahead and buttoned it all back up. I hope I don't have to pull it back apart again...we'll see.

Well, upon closer inspection of the female terminals from the Speedohealer harness, I think I may have found/fixed the problem. I removed them one by one out of the connector and they looked to be a little spread out. So I just crushed them down a little so they would make better contact with the male connector. Re-installed and plugged it in and took it for a spin...so far it is smooth again! I hope this is the issue. I only tested it for about a half mile. Then the rain was moving in. I went ahead and buttoned it all back up. I hope I don't have to pull it back apart again...we'll see.

Good deal Patrick. In all the speedohealers you guys have bought from me, those things seem pretty much bulletproof. May sound lofty, but in last 2 years, I think I've taken just one back for some unexplainable problem. Never did figure out what the issue was. Those things go out daily too! :thumbsup:

Well I thought it was going to be a simple fix. Wrong...

Now no matter what setting I put the Speedohealer on it reads really low on the speedometer. I thought when I disconnected power and reapplied that it may have reset. It was at the same setting I had before and when I'm going about 70~80mph it's reading like 50~55mph and around 30mph around town no matter if I'm going 35 or 50mph actual. Sooo looks like I may have to send it in for a check or something.

This afternoon I tried: Disconnecting the gauges, unplugging from the bike harness and the Speedohealer and reconnecting, removing both terminals from the battery and reconnecting. No change in the above issue.

I plug the factory harness back together and it works great......just reads high like every other 'busa.

....calling Tim....

Back