The Seven Sierra Passes

isiahstites

Registered
Biggar gave me the idea of the Seven Sierra Passes this afternoon and was curious if anyone here has done them all in one day?

I think this is gonna be next big ride/road trip.

The seven passes include:

Tioga Hwy 120
Sonora Hwy 108
Ebbetts Hwy 4
Monitor Hwy 89
Carson Hwy 88
Luther Hwy 89
Echo Hwy 50

If I did the trip from Reno/Sparks it looks to be about 742 miles, which is a lot in one day especially considering the speeds of the roads. So a two day trip would probably be reasonably and you could stop and actually enjoy some of the scenery.

This would be an EPIC ride considering how awesome Hwy 4 Ebbetts Pass was on Wednesday.

Scott

Calm down Scott! Take a deep breathe, pour another cup of java and ease up a bit bro! :laugh:
I think I remember reading somewhere that you're soon to be moving to the Reno area. Then don't try to do it all at once, slowdown and enjoy the scenery.
Anyway, I just happened to do Monitor and Luther Passes yesterday, no big feat, less than 150 miles. I'm sure Pardini (Russ) will chime in here shortly, he's from the other side of the mountain and he and a few of his friends did Monitor, Ebbetts and Sonora Passes last week, I think it was. Pacemaster, me and other Sierra FOG members have done Monitor, Sonora, Ebbetts and Carson Passes on a one day trip, but that puts a guy home here in Carson City about the time the sun goes down. You'll learn that some of the passes you list are merely avenues to get to the real fun routes, such as the Sierraville/Downieville loop, Ice House/Wentworth Springs ride, La Porte, Benton ghost town high speed adventure and many, many others.
There are two Reno based sportsbike clubs here that I am a member of that have scheduled Sunday rides to many of these areas. I've been kinda shying away from attending most of these events lately because it seems that someone always ends up going down and/or getting the group pulled over for speeding. Too high profile for my liking.
Look me up when you get to the area, I'll square ya away!! :beerchug:
Here are a few pics I took yesterday, the first shows the fairly fresh pavement on the west side of Monitor Pass, the last two were taken at the intersection of hwys 88 and 89 (Carson River at Hope Valley), en route to Luther Pass and Lake Tahoe.

100_4271 (Large).jpg

100_4276 (Large).jpg

100_4275 (Large).jpg

100_4278 (Large).jpg

100_4277 (Large).jpg

CCbusa05 - I am all for taking in the scenery and enjoying the ride, stopping to take photos and eating at some of the small town Cafe's on the side of the road. And I will do this ride in a today trip someday soon I hope, but I really want to do it all in one day, don't ask me why it's just a calling or something kinda like an iron butt ride.

Scott

Scott, will you do this ride while you're still here in Oceanside??? Or later when you relocate to Reno? Wondering if you don't mind some company? If you're a lone wolf kind of rider, would perfectly understand :)
P.S. I've had some practice when I did the IBA Saddlesore 1000 last Aug.

Sounds like Fun! I really miss riding that country...all flat here in texas! Enjoy!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Scott, will you do this ride while you're still here in Oceanside??? Or later when you relocate to Reno? Wondering if you don't mind some company? If you're a lone wolf kind of rider, would perfectly understand :)
P.S. I've had some practice when I did the IBA Saddlesore 1000 last Aug.

I'll let you know when I am gonna go, right now I am thinking September. You are welcome to join as there will probably be a handful of my friends and family going who have also expressed interest.

Where are located at?

awesone views, but I am on the wrong coast also. Hope to ride out that way some day. Enjoy your trip when you do it. :)

Wondering if you don't mind some company? If you're a lone wolf kind of rider, would perfectly understand :)

I have thought about you coming on the trip with me and I think we should meet first. I have this scary feeling (like picking up a hitch hiker) that you are one of those krazies on kawasaki, I need to see you and your bike (Hayabusa) prior to committing to a several day trip with a kawapuke rider.......I am not saying you are a kawapuke rider, but I need to check you out like I would a baby sitter. :whistle: :thumbsup: :rofl: :poke:: :4 :cheerleader: :lol:

I have thought about you coming on the trip with me and I think we should meet first. I have this scary feeling (like picking up a hitch hiker) that you are one of those krazies on kawasaki, I need to see you and your bike (Hayabusa) prior to committing to a several day trip with a kawapuke rider.......I am not saying you are a kawapuke rider, but I need to check you out like I would a baby sitter. :whistle: :thumbsup: :rofl: :poke:: :4 :cheerleader: :lol:

fully understand (I probably would want to do the same) :beerchug:
Like I've said earlier, I am currently stationed at the Naval Hospital (Navy Corpsman, 24 years and counting). Let me know when and where :please:

fully understand (I probably would want to do the same) :beerchug:
Like I've said earlier, I am currently stationed at the Naval Hospital (Navy Corpsman, 24 years and counting). Let me know when and where :please:

Well it was funny to me and a joke.........at least I got a laugh out of it...........looking at the 21st or 22nd of July to make this run, then over to Moto Gp and then down the 1.

Not sure if it's gonna happen but I am trying like hell. You are welcome to join me site unseen, unless you are on a kawi.:beerchug:

Riding this weekend, let me know if you are up for something. I live right out the back gate.

Scott

Well it was funny to me and a joke.........at least I got a laugh out of it
Scott

I was hoping you were joking :whistle: I wil check my wife's schedule to see if I can tag along.
P.S. If the Fallbrook gate is packed, I use the back gate to get on North River Road to the 76. And I did own a ZX-11 for a very while

Back