The real weight difference re: steel vrs aluminum subframes

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
First I want to thank Scott, owner of the new company Pulse Performance, (the org knows him as Isiahstites) for trading me his aluminum subframe for my steel one. For the record, I took them both to my friends bicycle shop and used his precision scale to compare.

The following is not seat of the pants, it is factual, the result of precision equipment......

Steel subframe............10.47 pounds
Aluminum subframe.......04.16 pounds

weight savings.............06.31 pounds

I am so thrilled as this puts my black Superbyke at my goal weight of 457 pounds with a gallon of gas. Getting into the 450's is major since it is now smack in the middle of all the current crop of open class Streetfighters and nakeds....even lighter than some of the 750's! No longer can someone say to me, "it's awesome but what about the weight?" Now the mighty linebacker will dance with the wide receivers!

Also, look at the beautiful products (and packaging) Scott is creating. Doyle

IMG_0010 (3).jpg

IMG_0011 (3).jpg

IMG_0012 (4).jpg

IMG_0014 (4).jpg

Woot woot! Congrats Doyle and can we hear a lil more about Pulse? Not to worry sponsorships and such, just curious about what he's doin?

Woot woot! Congrats Doyle and can we hear a lil more about Pulse? Not to worry sponsorships and such, just curious about what he's doin?

Well, he and his charming family moved to Reno where he has started Pulse Performance Products. I can say that Scott, like a lot of us, has Busa running through his veins, is incredibly knowledgeable about motorcycles....from his riding ability (including success at Bonneville) to his participation in the actual production industry itself. Besides standing in awe watching his CNC machine carve a cool billet part from a block of aluminum, I look forward to riding the Sierras with him! I know us org members respect and patronize our sponsors and will continue to do so but when I see a new guy on the block who caters to Hayabusas, I see no reason to self censor my enthusiasm about his existence. Anyways, who knows what is in the future regarding Scott's advertising decisions? With his skills and commitment to quality, I wish him prosperity, in any case! Doyle

Correction! It's Pulse Performance Parts....not Products.

Thanks for posting this :bowdown: I have read soo many reports on this and it varied from 5-10lbs........ Its nice to get some concrete proof on the matter. I still got a ways to go to catch up to you though :laugh: what kind of diet do you have your busa on btw?

Thanks for posting this :bowdown: I have read soo many reports on this and it varied from 5-10lbs........ Its nice to get some concrete proof on the matter. I still got a ways to go to catch up to you though :laugh: what kind of diet do you have your busa on btw?

Regular gas and synthetic oil!

Rooster - I am a small (very small) shop trying to put out a quality product at a reasonable price. I am a Hayabusa fanatic like the rest of us and a few years ago I realized I wanted to be in the business of making bike parts. So for three years I worked my regular job and parted out bikes on the side to buy equipment. Last year I pulled the plug on the 9 to 5 and went full force with the business. Hindsight being 20/20 I have learned that starting a business is much harder than I ever anticipated, but I love it and hope and work hard to continue to make it my main income.

I race, ride and cruise and love nothing more than being around bikes whether it's racers, dirt bikes or street bikes. That being said thanks for your interest maybe one day you will ahve a PULSE part on your bike.

Scott

If I weren't such a sorry human, I could drop 100 pounds off my Busa without touching a tool :laugh:

and be much, much healthier :thumbsup:

Where is this subframe for sale? How much?

For the first 1 3/4 years (1999-2000) of the Hayabusa, it's subframe came in aluminum. In late 2000 to the present day, Suzuki has used steel for Hayabusa subframes. There were a couple of failures of aluminum subs, hence the change (it's probably cheeper to use steel as well). So, for people like me obsessed with getting my bike as light as possible all while retaining the "rear hump profile" AND making it a single rider only bike, trimming 6 1/2 pounds is a quantum leap down! For conventional sport touring Busa owners with overnight luggage and/or a passenger, steel is stronger and that much more dependable (given the tiny little "birdcage" nature of sportbike subframes). Being able to lighten up ANY motorcycle is a benefit, don't get me wrong, it's just that I'm on a quest with my Superbyke so I'm not normal! Doyle

edit:but if you want aluminum, they are around! The earlier failures don't bother me in the least.

You are not human :laugh: your a super byker....

For the first 1 3/4 years (1999-2000) of the Hayabusa, it's subframe came in aluminum. In late 2000 to the present day, Suzuki has used steel for Hayabusa subframes. There were a couple of failures of aluminum subs, hence the change (it's probably cheeper to use steel as well). So, for people like me obsessed with getting my bike as light as possible all while retaining the "rear hump profile" AND making it a single rider only bike, trimming 6 1/2 pounds is a quantum leap down! For conventional sport touring Busa owners with overnight luggage and/or a passenger, steel is stronger and that much more dependable (given the tiny little "birdcage" nature of sportbike subframes). Being able to lighten up ANY motorcycle is a benefit, don't get me wrong, it's just that I'm on a quest with my Superbyke so I'm not normal! Doyle

edit:but if you want aluminum, they are around! The earlier failures don't bother me in the least.

First I want to thank Scott, owner of the new company Pulse Performance, (the org knows him as Isiahstites) for trading me his aluminum subframe for my steel one. For the record, I took them both to my friends bicycle shop and used his precision scale to compare.

The following is not seat of the pants, it is factual, the result of precision equipment......

Steel subframe............10.47 pounds
Aluminum subframe.......04.16 pounds

weight savings.............06.31 pounds

I am so thrilled as this puts my black Superbyke at my goal weight of 457 pounds with a gallon of gas. Getting into the 450's is major since it is now smack in the middle of all the current crop of open class Streetfighters and nakeds....even lighter than some of the 750's! No longer can someone say to me, "it's awesome but what about the weight?" Now the mighty linebacker will dance with the wide receivers!

Also, look at the beautiful products (and packaging) Scott is creating. Doyle

View attachment 254926

View attachment 254927

View attachment 254928

View attachment 254929
You have your busa at 457lbs???

Back