The Pope and Islam

The very implication that a man, be he the Pope, President Bush or bin Laden, knows what God's will is any better than the rest of humanity, is arrogant, dangerous and patently ridiculous. This is how wars get started, the notion that God is on a particular side and therefore anyone who does not profess the same beliefs must be the enemy and destroyed. Whatever happened to inteligent, respectful discussion? I for one would rather debate the merits of a belief system with another person as opposed to killing them because of it. I believe that the majority of Muslims in the middle east, be they Iraqi, Iranian, Palestinian, or whatever else, would far prefer to be left alone to make a living and worship their God than they would have hard line extremist leaders pervert their faith and throw them into war. I also believe this to be true of the majority of Americans, regardless of their view on religion. Why is it that world leaders feel so comfortable spending the lives of their constituents for a learned theory, no matter what that theory is? If Bush, the Pope, Ahmadinejad, Kim Il Sung or any other world leader hates a different culture or religous group with such passion, I think they should feel free to sacrifice their own life on the altar of their belief, but please leave my family out of it.

(Mr Brown @ Sep. 20 2006,08:17) The very implication that a man, be he the Pope, President Bush or bin Laden, knows what God's will is any better than the rest of humanity, is arrogant, dangerous and patently ridiculous. This is how wars get started, the notion that God is on a particular side and therefore anyone who does not profess the same beliefs must be the enemy and destroyed. Whatever happened to inteligent, respectful discussion? I for one would rather debate the merits of a belief system with another person as opposed to killing them because of it. I believe that the majority of Muslims in the middle east, be they Iraqi, Iranian, Palestinian, or whatever else, would far prefer to be left alone to make a living and worship their God than they would have hard line extremist leaders pervert their faith and throw them into war. I also believe this to be true of the majority of Americans, regardless of their view on religion. Why is it that world leaders feel so comfortable spending the lives of their constituents for a learned theory, no matter what that theory is? If Bush, the Pope, Ahmadinejad, Kim Il Sung or any other world leader hates a different culture or religous group with such passion, I think they should feel free to sacrifice their own life on the altar of their belief, but please leave my family out of it.
" Why do they always send the poor?"

(WWJD @ Sep. 19 2006,19:25)
(busahaya @ Sep. 19 2006,17:58) I like the Matrix analogy(minus the guns and all violence), if some get what I'm saying...
Oh, I do get it. I think it is EXACTLY like the world today - a false world blinding us from the truth - of what/who is REALLY important in the REAL world.
You know exactly what I'm talking about, yet the majority of the masses are still living in their dream world...

Because that is how they pay their dues..
The lowest common denominator will always be combatants. Their only value to a given society's leadership is to die for the "good of the Country".
I know that is BS but it is what it is.
The leadership will always break down the populous into subgroups and categories based upon potential future contribution to the country. Yeah it is phugged up.
I joined the service because of my economic background. Nothing more nothing less. I took the path with the lowest probability to result in death USAF. Bring the jokes I am ready. I served for 8 years made NCO in 5 sewed on in 5yrs10 months (this is relatively difficult to do in the Air Force).
Due to special interests (read economic contributors/factors) leaders push for war.
Look at the Domestic economy. Defense industry is one of the largest manufacturing employers in the entire country.
So ask me again why does the president push for war?

(Gunnybusa @ Sep. 20 2006,10:23) " Why do they always send the poor?"
Two reasons:
First, the rich use the military to provide false hope of improving one's social standing. Watch an Army commercial, or worse, an Army Reserve commercial. Even with a WAR going on, you will only hear about how the Army will pay for college, and how the Reserve will kepp you close to home until they need you. While this is actually true, I think it's important to mention the downside of joining the military during a war.
Second, in most countries, the rich view the poor as unimportant, and therefore completely expendable. Recall Longshanks line in Braveheart when informed that his archers arrows would kill his own troops:"Yes, but they will kill the enemy too." Not much has changed since then.

(Projekt @ Sep. 20 2006,08:39) Because that is how they pay their dues..
The lowest common denominator will always be combatants. Their only value to a given society's leadership is to die for the "good of the Country".
The leadership will always break down the populous into subgroups and categories based upon potential future contribution to the country. Yeah it is phugged up.
I joined the service because of my economic background. Nothing more nothing less. I took the path with the lowest probability to result in death USAF. Bring the jokes I am ready. I served for 8 years made NCO in 5 sewed on in 5yrs10 months (this is relatively difficult to do in the Air Force).
Due to special interests (read economic contributors/factors) leaders push for war.
Look at the Domestic economy. Defense industry is one of the largest manufacturing employers in the entire country.
Ive been in the Corp for almost 20 years now and my family was no where near poor. I do it for the HONOR of serving.

(Mr Brown @ Sep. 20 2006,08:40)
Two reasons:
First, the rich use the military to provide false hope of improving one's social standing. Watch an Army commercial, or worse, an Army Reserve commercial. Even with a WAR going on, you will only hear about how the Army will pay for college, and how the Reserve will kepp you close to home until they need you. While this is actually true, I think it's important to mention the downside of joining the military during a war.
Second, in most countries, the rich view the poor as unimportant, and therefore completely expendable. Recall Longshanks line in Braveheart when informed that his archers arrows would kill his own troops:"Yes, but they will kill the enemy too." Not much has changed since then.
Sorry I was quoting System of a down BYOB

Why do they always send the poor?
My God is of Bible blood with pointed ears
Victorious, victorious steel
Can your spending kneel?
Marching forward hypocritic
And hypnotic computers
You depend on our protection
Yet you feed us lies from the tablecloth
La la la la la la la la la la
Everybody is going to the party
Have a real good time
Dancing in the desert
Blowing up the sunshine
Kneeling roses
Disappearing into Moses' dry mouth
Breaking into Fort Knox
Stealing our intentions
Every city, gripped in oil
Crying freedom!
Handed to obsoletion
Still you feed us lies from the tablecloth
la la la la la la la la la la
Have a real good time
Dancing in the desert
Blowing up the sunshine
Have a real good time
Dancing in the desert
Blowing up the sunshine
Blast off, it's party time
And we all live in a fascist nation
Blast off, it's party time
And where the **** are you?
Where the **** are you?
Where the **** are you?
Why don't presidents fight the war?
Kneeling roses
Disappearing into Moses' dry mouth
Breaking into Fort Knox
Stealing our intentions
Every city, gripped in oil
Crying freedom!
Handed to a obsoletion
Still you feed us lies from the tablecloth
la la la la la la la la la la
Have a real good time
Dancing in the desert
Blowing up the sunshine
Have a real good time
Dancing in the desert
Blowing up the sun
Where the **** are you?
Where the **** are you?
They always send the poor!
They always send the poor!

(Mr Brown @ Sep. 20 2006,08:40)
Two reasons:
Exactly

(Gunnybusa @ Sep. 20 2006,10:43)
Ive been in the Corp for almost 20 years now and my family was no where near poor. I do it for the HONOR of serving.
And you are a good man who deserves the respect of the entire Country for your sacrifice...
As for me, you have my deepest respect my friend...
And if I can, in some way, repay you for your Honorable service, just let me know, and it will be done, without a moments hesitation...
I consider you a trusted friend and fellow Warrior...

All the best,

David

Recall Longshanks line in Braveheart when informed that his archers arrows would kill his own troops:"Yes, but they will kill the enemy too."[/Quote]

Good God Jeremy, you quote a Hollywood movie by a known English hating drunk  
jump9.gif

(Devious @ Sep. 20 2006,08:56)
(Gunnybusa @ Sep. 20 2006,10:43)
And you are a good man who deserves the respect of the entire Country for your sacrifice...
As for me, you have my deepest respect my friend...
And if I can, in some way, repay you for your Honorable service, just let me know, and it will be done, without a moments hesitation...
I consider you a trusted friend and fellow Service member...

All the best,

David
You can come the hell on down here and we'll burn this town to the ground!!

(Gunnybusa @ Sep. 20 2006,08:43)
Brainwashed Jarheads need not reply.
I see that you really bought into the whole DUTY HONOR COUNTRY BS....
Typical of a career Marine. Those three months at Camp Lejeune or Pendelton will make you forget who you were before...
You may not have been economically poor rather viably poor.

Just playing with you for the sake of controversy.. Don't flip... Much respect to your service... Really, much respect to you.

(Projekt @ Sep. 20 2006,08:58)
(Gunnybusa @ Sep. 20 2006,08:43)
Brainwashed Jarheads need not reply.
I see that you really bought into the whole DUTY HONOR COUNTRY BS....
Typical of a career Marine. Those three months at Camp Lejeune or Pendelton will make you forget who you were before...
You may not have been economically poor rather viably poor.

Just playing with you for the sake of controversy.. Don't flip... Much respect to your service... Really, much respect to you.
I had to look up "viably poor" hahahaha

(deldewey @ Sep. 20 2006,10:57) Recall Longshanks line in Braveheart when informed that his archers arrows would kill his own troops:"Yes, but they will kill the enemy too."

Good God Jeremy, you quote a Hollywood movie by a known English hating drunk  
jump9.gif
[/Quote]
Yeah, I know, but it kinda fits the point, ya know......
Besides, every idiot says something relevant every now and then.............

Do any of you older multiyear service men remember way back when.
When you could send home goodies from places other than the Continental US.
Weaponry of all sorts for instance...
Not that I did, of course...
Just wondering...

(Devious @ Sep. 20 2006,09:05) Do any of you older multiyear service men remember way back when.
When you could send home goodies from places other than the Continental US.
Weaponry of all sorts for instance...
Not that I did, of course...
Just wondering...
Ears , fingers and the like.

Back