The mustang trans issues

mabupa

Donating Member
Registered
As a lot of the more active members know, I have 2013 mustang GT with the infamous MT-82 6 speed manual. I bought the car used with 27k miles and before 40k miles the trans started sounding like a bucket of loose bolts at low speeds and it would lock me out of gears at high revs. Several trips to ford didn’t yield any solutions and usually got the same statement from the techs: “oh, this is normal for these cars”. I was very frustrated with the issues, since I love this car and is the most fun 4 wheel vehicle I’ve owned. I started doing reasearch and reading all the horror stories about trans breaking with, as little as, 5k miles. I decided to keep the car anyways and see how long it would last, before having to drop the trans. I upgraded to a Barton shifter and shifter bracket, one piece driveshaft, braided clutch line and amsoil fluid. That quiet down the trans, fixed the problem with the clutch sometimes staying on the floor if trying to release it too fast at high RPMs and improved the shifting a lot. At 60k miles I changed the trans fluid again and it looked clean. As you can imagine, after going through all that, I had never tried to push the car too hard again, since I don’t trust the trans anymore. Well, I’m now about 200 miles shy of 65k and started the car just to hear an ugly rattle. After some troubleshooting, I noticed the noise would stop when I pushed the clutch, so looks like thought bearing might be shot. I knew at some point I was going to get an upgraded trans. Or trade in the car on a truck, but this is not the best time for all this to happen and this is one of those jobs that get expensive, because there is more parts that would be smart to change, while the piece of garbage Getrag trans is on the ground. Guess I’ll drive my commuter and start gathering an upgraded trans, better clutch, throughout bearing and pilot bearing. And of course, the piece of crap waited until the Powertrain warranty expired (at 60k miles) to fail.
Added some pics of her in better times.
Rant over :sad: !

1AC78A8C-8CFE-428C-A9B0-9AE6EC1B2EED.jpeg

F6F6C035-A6EB-4D05-B60F-30F115E5520A.jpeg

92C7D2F2-C103-451F-BF2B-DDD95ADF2E90.jpeg

After some troubleshooting, I noticed the noise would stop when I pushed the clutch, so looks like thought bearing might be shot.

View attachment 1606770

View attachment 1606771

View attachment 1606772
Miguel, from my experience, when you load the 'throughout' bearing (as you call it, we call it a 'release or thrust bearing') by depressing the clutch pedal, and the noise from the trans then disappears, that indicates the input shaft bearings are noisey, NOT the release bearing.
When you disengage the clutch plates you free up the drive on the gearbox input shaft and it slows down and stops turning, the crankshaft is no longer driving that shaft.
So the bearings are no longer spinning, and when the bearings are noisey at idle RPM and then slow right down, the noise goes away.
If you load a worn out release bearing it increases the amount of noise.
Is this the bearing you mean when you say 'throughout' bearing?
1572156158422.png

1572156400859.png

Last edited:
This is the thrust bearing (throughout bearing) when it's worn and noisey, notice how it's still very rumbly when the clutch is pressed, that's because the load on the bearing is making it worse!
I hope this info helps.
Kiwi :thumbsup:

Miguel, from my experience, when you load the 'throughout' bearing (as you call it, we call it a 'release or thrust bearing') by depressing the clutch pedal, and the noise from the trans then disappears, that indicates the input shaft bearings are noisey, NOT the release bearing.
When you disengage the clutch plates you free up the drive on the gearbox input shaft and it slows down and stops turning, the crankshaft is no longer driving that shaft.
So the bearings are no longer spinning, and when the bearings are noisey at idle RPM and then slow right down, the noise goes away.
If you load a worn out release bearing it increases the amount of noise.
Is this the bearing you mean when you say 'throughout' bearing?
View attachment 1606773

View attachment 1606774
Thanks for the info Greg. Yes, that’s the bearing I’m talking about, but what you are saying makes perfect sense. I’m thinking about just purchased a built trans with cryogenic treated gears, brass shift forks, better synchros, etc for $2600 and doing the job myself, but that’s a crappy job to do laying on your back. I wish I had a lift. Here is a pic of the one in my car. Is one piece with the slave cylinder assembly.

6A921C13-76B3-4DE5-B6C8-42D8BDAD2DAD.png

As a lot of the more active members know, I have 2013 mustang GT with the infamous MT-82 6 speed manual. I bought the car used with 27k miles and before 40k miles the trans started sounding like a bucket of loose bolts at low speeds and it would lock me out of gears at high revs. Several trips to ford didn’t yield any solutions and usually got the same statement from the techs: “oh, this is normal for these cars”. I was very frustrated with the issues, since I love this car and is the most fun 4 wheel vehicle I’ve owned. I started doing reasearch and reading all the horror stories about trans breaking with, as little as, 5k miles. I decided to keep the car anyways and see how long it would last, before having to drop the trans. I upgraded to a Barton shifter and shifter bracket, one piece driveshaft, braided clutch line and amsoil fluid. That quiet down the trans, fixed the problem with the clutch sometimes staying on the floor if trying to release it too fast at high RPMs and improved the shifting a lot. At 60k miles I changed the trans fluid again and it looked clean. As you can imagine, after going through all that, I had never tried to push the car too hard again, since I don’t trust the trans anymore. Well, I’m now about 200 miles shy of 65k and started the car just to hear an ugly rattle. After some troubleshooting, I noticed the noise would stop when I pushed the clutch, so looks like thought bearing might be shot. I knew at some point I was going to get an upgraded trans. Or trade in the car on a truck, but this is not the best time for all this to happen and this is one of those jobs that get expensive, because there is more parts that would be smart to change, while the piece of garbage Getrag trans is on the ground. Guess I’ll drive my commuter and start gathering an upgraded trans, better clutch, throughout bearing and pilot bearing. And of course, the piece of crap waited until the Powertrain warranty expired (at 60k miles) to fail.
Added some pics of her in better times.

View attachment 1606770

View attachment 1606771

View attachment 1606772
Nice looking stang!

Known on those Mustangs that the tranny was crap. I jumped out of the mustang game when I figured out Ford was pushing out low quality parts. Sucks to hear this, that tranny never had a huge following. The mustang is beautiful though, love the black on black!

Thanks for the info Greg. Yes, that’s the bearing I’m talking about, but what you are saying makes perfect sense. I’m thinking about just purchased a built trans with cryogenic treated gears, brass shift forks, better synchros, etc for $2600 and doing the job myself, but that’s a crappy job to do laying on your back. I wish I had a lift. Here is a pic of the one in my car. Is one piece with the slave cylinder assembly.

View attachment 1606775
Honestly mate, just pay someone you trust to install that new trans, it is utter shite of a job to do at home on the floor laying on your back, it’s also dangerous, you could hurt yourself. I have a mate that’s severed his pinky when removing an old series 1 Landrover gearbox at home on the ground outside . . No fun at all!
As others have said . . . Nice lookin Stang!
Hope it all works out for you, keep us informed bud.

My buddy has the same car only it's red and an automatic...never had a problem and drives it all winter...

In the spring he is buying a new Mustang with the performance 1 package (red of course he said). He won't drive that one in the winter though.

Look around. There are companies that will rent you the space to do work like this.

Honestly mate, just pay someone you trust to install that new trans, it is utter shite of a job to do at home on the floor laying on your back, it’s also dangerous, you could hurt yourself. I have a mate that’s severed his pinky when removing an old series 1 Landrover gearbox at home on the ground outside . . No fun at all!
As others have said . . . Nice lookin Stang!
Hope it all works out for you, keep us informed bud.
I don’t have any shops around that I’ve had good experience with. That’s my concern and the reason I have a 3 car garage with several tool boxes, power tools, air compressors and impacts. I try to do all the work myself and save the headache of dealing with shady shops, but I agree with you, this is not the simplest task. My friend has a transmission jack, but a shop with a lift could have this trans out and the new one in, in a couple of hours.

My buddy has the same car only it's red and an automatic...never had a problem and drives it all winter...

In the spring he is buying a new Mustang with the performance 1 package (red of course he said). He won't drive that one in the winter though.
Those automatics have a great reputation, I just feel that a mustang isn’t a mustang without a manual.

Google “Clutch Creep.” I did a bunch of research on my old 14 GT. Minor bolt ons and tune was 430/401. I got locked out at high revs too. I had the MGW and misc braces. Most blame the tranny, but I honestly believe it is the clutch. I feel the oem clutch is nearly maxed out tq wise, and any mods, especially raising the rev limiter, will let the clutch “creep.”
Almost every single person that I know that experienced this on this car fixed this with a dual clutch system.
Loved mine too btw.
Would let you use my lift if you were closer...I’m in the Orlando area.
Good luck brotha,
Troy

Google “Clutch Creep.” I did a bunch of research on my old 14 GT. Minor bolt ons and tune was 430/401. I got locked out at high revs too. I had the MGW and misc braces. Most blame the tranny, but I honestly believe it is the clutch. I feel the oem clutch is nearly maxed out tq wise, and any mods, especially raising the rev limiter, will let the clutch “creep.”
Almost every single person that I know that experienced this on this car fixed this with a dual clutch system.
Loved mine too btw.
Good luck brotha,
Troy
View attachment 1606912
I helped a buddy build up an old fox body years ago that was about the same color blue. Not a big fan of blue but this color on a mustang just looks good to me. @mabupa aren't you only about an hour and a half from Troy? With all parts ready to go sounds like an afternoon and you could be done if using his lift. Ive done too many transmissions in the ground when I was younger and once I was high enough in the ranks at the shop to use the lift I never wanted to go back to the ground.

Loved mine too btw.
Good luck brotha,
Troy
View attachment 1606912
I’ve been looking at clutch options and reading reviews, but some people complain about how noisy dual clutches can be. I’ve had an aftermarket shifter and brackets for the last 30k miles or so. The new generation MGWs look great though.

I helped a buddy build up an old fox body years ago that was about the same color blue. Not a big fan of blue but this color on a mustang just looks good to me. @mabupa aren't you only about an hour and a half from Troy? With all parts ready to go sounds like an afternoon and you could be done if using his lift. Ive done too many transmissions in the ground when I was younger and once I was high enough in the ranks at the shop to use the lift I never wanted to go back to the ground.
Yes, I’m 20mins East of Tampa, so an hour to hour and a half, depending we’re in Orlando he is. Orlando is pretty big.

Dude, u must be only an hour from me. What city? I am in Oviedo.
My sched is super crazy for Nov, but if you want, you can source parts and plan a lift day/weekend! Heads up, it aint free. U MUST bring beer. lol
In fact, it would be super cool to get a small gathering of u derelicts over to help out and meet.
lmk,
Troy

Dude, u must be only an hour from me. What city? I am in Oviedo.
My sched is super crazy for Nov, but if you want, you can source parts and plan a lift day/weekend! Heads up, it aint free. U MUST bring beer. lol
In fact, it would be super cool to get a small gathering of u derelicts over to help out and meet.
lmk,
TroyView attachment 1606924
I’m in the Riverview area. I don’t drink, but would be happy to bring some bear for you and @c10, if he decides to join. Lol! That sure is a nice shop you have there. I’m making calls trying to get a transmission shipped to me, but I guess they break more often than I thought and I’m being told it’ll be up to 6weeks by the different sellers and builders.

Last edited:
Back