THE MUST DO KICK STAND MOD!

Spring(s) would not help.
The angle is wrong from the factory.
The kickstand does not go out much past vertical. So add in the slack of 1st gear(if it's even put in gear), and it takes no effort for the Busa to fall.
I learned to leave the Busa in 1st, roll it forward to get the slack out, turn and lock the bars, and make sure it couldn't roll before stepping away.
The kickstand mod (when done correctly)allows the kickstand to swing forward enough to where it cannot fold itself closed.
Honestly, Suzuki needs their azz kicked for not fixing this problem. But, it's only been 19 years, so.
I've owned and ridden countless bikes over the years. Never have I seen such a pitiful design...and on the companies "flagship" bike.

I suppose for most it's not a bad idea to change it but in the eleven years I've had my Busa I've never had a problem with it. On all my bikes I've always set the side stand and then I drag the bike backwards an inch and get off. If I have to park on an incline I'll keep it in gear but otherwise it's worked well for over 60,000 miles.

Re: THE MUST DO KICK STAND MOD!

You don't take enough metal off to weaken it -- if you were to compare 'modified' versus stock it would be very clear IMHO that it hasn't been weakened. Also, regarding the "Japanese Engineer' -- try to keep in mind that a Japanese engineer was responsible for the design flaw that allowed the kickstand to roll forward with the bike and cause it to fall over. So they clearly aren't above making an error once in a while.

I was also concerned about stability after removal, however, it's so minimal that it's not a problem. After reading some of the old post, took a ride today on my 2008, never had any issues with bike tipping over, but it played with my mind, every time I stopped to park my bike. Came home & did the mod, by just taking a small amount off, I could really see why the mod is needed. FYI, after mod, the hardest part will be to get the 2 springs back on, lots of tension. Here's a tip, install the springs on the bracket side & to the kick stand arm, then slide the kick stand mounting hole over the bracket hole, line up the hole with a pin or screw driver, then install the bolt, very easy, instead of trying to stretch the springs. Good luck, agreed, a most do mod.

Anyone in the somewhat immediate area of PA/MD (Lancaster, PA) who would be willing to help me out with getting this done? I'd throw a couple bucks your way!

Interesting modification fellas. Have always parked my bikes in first gear, roll forward to remove drivetrain slack...all good. Has worked for over 30 years so far. Yeah I had a fussy teacher...

For anyone who still needs guidance on this...

20221016_160435.jpg

20221016_160958.jpg

20221016_171113.jpg

Back