THE MUST DO KICK STAND MOD!

ICEMANN

Registered
This is for the NEWBIES!  When parked and on the side stand, Your busa WILL fall on it's left side while your looking at it.  You will say, no not me, I leave it in gear, I push it farward, etc etc etc..  The nature of the beast with the flaw in the side stand your bike is going to fall.  With that someone (dont know who) came up with this mod.

Take a dremel or grinder and make a small grind in the face of the kickstand to allow it to travel forward more.  This slightly changes the lean angle and puts more ummph oh the side stand.  In turn this prevents the dredded fall over.

YOU ARE GRINDING THE KICKSTAND ON BOTH SIDES, NOT THE STOP PLATES ON THE "MOUNT"!

"HOW MUCH DO I REMOVE?" Anywhere from ½ the thickness of the "stop" plates to the thickness of the stop plates as seen in yellow is more than enuff. Much more you might lessen the integrity of the stand itself but I doubt it. Little by little, and try fit it!

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120404705 -->

kickmod.jpg

This is for the NEWBIES!  When parked and on the side stand, Your busa WILL fall on it's left side while your looking at it.  You will say, no not me, I leave it in gear, I push it farward, etc etc etc..  The nature of the beast with the flaw in the side stand your bike is going to fall.  With that someone (dont know who) came up with this mod.
Icemann,

Good advice.

Apart from what you have done, another must do (and free) is always turns your handlebars to the left.

Any motorcycle will lean over further if you do this and make rolling forward (onto left) or toppling over (to the right) much more difficult.

If riders doubt it, try it and see.  (Just turn the bar either way and see how much effort is required to life the bike off of the stand.  And make sure the ground is level first.)

It's mostly to do with the (front suspension) trail and where the tyre touches the ground in relation to the handlebar position.  I've wasted countless hours doing the maths/physics on things like this!  So much so I'm currently studying astro-physics for fun at 39.   OK, I ought to ride (even) more :-)

Try to imagine the biggest triangle for the tyre contact points and the sidestand and you should be OK.  Better to park facing UP any slope.  Better to have any crossway slope to the left hand side.

Steve

Also helps if you put bike in 1st gear, and roll it forward till it catches, so no slack left for it to roll forward off kickstand.

All good points people. I am glad there are so many posts here focused towards rider safety and motorcycle care. These are the things I care about the most, not if somebody's helmet fell off while doing a stoppie because he didn't strap it on.

Look everybody, Justintime2 has come out of his shell and is using a different emoticon! Way to go, big guy.

Also, welcome to 'thepinktaco'.. can't believe i just said that! nice handle, bro'!!
wow.gif
too funny!

Back