The "morality of sport bikes" discussion

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
My question is a small big one:
Do ALL OF US constantly break the law? Our bikes are designed to win us speeding tickets in 1st gear. We take twisties at 120 and high speed runs much faster. Sure, we commute at 35 like everyone else most of the time, but is this hobby pretty much based on constantly breaking the law to really enjoy it?

I say it is. The only thing I HONESTLY enjoy is doing 80+ out on some country rode where no one is around. Yet, every ride I am breaking the legal speed limit even by 5 or 10 and DESERVE a ticket for not conforming to societies voted and policed limits.

Also, places like Vegas [that video] are there NO police out there or do they just kinda look the other way as long as your outside city limits? If i got a 45 second run like that once a weekend, I'd be in heaven! But you guys apparently get to do that alot out there.

I've got the fasted bike in my pack now, but I'll be riding behind everyone just so I won't be speeding and piling up tickets. I seem to attact police - it's a gift

But 0-35 in .5 seconds is still a ball!

I'm not guilt ridden or anything, just wondering if anyone else sees it like that? EVERYONE I ride with breaks the law too.

Opinions?

well....WWF my man....I gotta tell ya....I can break every speed limit in this country ( Canada ), home of the BRAVE-less politician , land of the FREE-loader . I can break every speed limit around here....in first gear .I hit the rev limiter in first at about 130 kph. Thats 78 in "Real Time", or MPH as we used to refer to it B4 , B4 the dark time....no..not the EMPIRE, the shiddy french canadian who was runnin' the joint at the time....decided to put us on the metric system...you know...."cause everyone else was" . Well...'cept for the worlds most influencial country ...the U.S.

SO....why did god/Mr.Suzuki/the motorcycle world ...provide us with such an' abomination . A mode of transport so perverse it defies all logic. One can only guess.
Here's my guess....CONSUMERISM .

Fortunately....IT.... HOPEFULLY...wont happen in my lifetime.
BUT...

Some pimple-faced, pencil-%#^*,Yugo-drivin',jerg-off will one day ,somehow manage to OUTLAW the Busa . And all bike's like it .

IT'S TRUE . I DO SPEED . I LOVE SPEED . I WANT SPEED EVERYDAY . I SPEED TO/@ WORK . I DO SPEED ON THE WAY HOME . I DO SPEED ON THE WEEKEND .

All I can say is...SPEED KILLS.....the only problem......
SO DOES BOREDOM .
Peace everybody .

Have you hugged your lyin',two-faced politician today?

Ya, I pretty much never speed, I just bought the fastest production bike in the world cuz it looks cool, "ya right".
I speed constantly, just can't help it, every time I look down the needle is 10-20 over and I don't even realize it.
There is the odd day when I blip it up to 300+ metric
like today, and yesterday and the day before that, and the day before that, well pretty much every time I ride it I guess.
I have very little self control when I'm sittin on over 160hp, the urg is just to great, must twist harder, must go faster.
So there is your answer, it's only breakin the law if ya get caught right.

Well, any bike or car for that matter can break the speed limit. It's always a matter of whether or not you can get away with it. Here in L.A. EVERYBODY speeds. If you're not doing 75 mph on the way to work in the morning you'll get run over. (speed limit 65) and maybe by a CHP.
I always wave when I'm passing a CHP or LAPD going the other way (I wave to ALL bikes), and sometimes they wave with that look, like, I KNOW you're speeding.
As far as the Vegas vids, they got away with it, cool. but Doc and I talked with these fine fellows who have front AND rear facing radar. Notice the cars aren't black and white, they're hard to pick out of a pack.

Cops_at_Chevron.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hahahahah Wrong. It's STILL breaking the law. I hope they don't get those camera/radar things up anytime soon, or we'll ALWAYS get caught.
If a busa speeds in the woods and no one's around to ticket it, did it break a law?
smile.gif

Whatever the opinions here, it's ALLLL Fun!!

I'll admit that when driving a car I speed all the time. I usually like to go 10mph over the posted limit. I prefer keeping people BEHIND me so I can keep track of someone (SMOKEY) coming up behind me. I don't believe in that defensive driving crap. OFFENSIVE! Stay ahead of those who are just going with the flow.

On the Busa, it's even worse. Being new to the bike, I look down and see triple digits, and just about SH*T. It's very hard to NOT speed on the thing.

That said, I got my first speeding ticket Friday while driving my wife's car. She's got a bigger engine that I like to romp on, and I got busted. Luckily I wasn't on the Busa or else I'd be composing this from the jail cell.

Last comment. Those guys on Capitol Hill who DON'T ride and want to limit displacement, speed, HP, etc. are morons (yeah you Danforth). Cyclists are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to collisions. I may ride aggressive to those cagers, but better aggressive and ALIVE than defensive and DEAD.
</soapbox>

Also Guilty of speeding.
But here in Northern Vermont there is very sparse police coverage,and I just do what is a comfortable and safe speed for me and don't worry about the Leo's.

hahahahah Wrong.  It's STILL breaking the law.  I hope they don't get those camera/radar things up anytime soon, or we'll ALWAYS get caught.
If a busa speeds in the woods and no one's around to ticket it, did it break a law?  
smile.gif

Whatever the opinions here, it's ALLLL Fun!!
Ya, we had the photo radar already for a number of years, then about a year and a half ago they axed the program cuz of cost overruns.

Yet, every ride I am breaking the legal speed limit even by 5 or 10 and DESERVE a ticket for not conforming to societies voted and policed limits.
I am not sure I understand who is voting out there... 'Cause I know here in MD on 270 and 495 (two major highways) everyone does a MINIMUM of 10 over and usually 15-20 over. I had an officer tell me once that he doesn't stop anyone doing slower than 80 (in a 55!!!!!), because he knows there are so many offenders out there.

Getting to my point: if so many speed? Isn't that a vote of sorts? Why aren't the politicians listening to the daily driver saying, "We all speed, hence the limit should be increased."?

I guess they need to set it somewhere...

We need an autobahn!

most do 10 over here too, but it's Johnny Law's choice when to toss out tickets - usually near EOM quota time.

I got a ticket on an ON RAMP once at 65 SIMPLY MATCHING TRAFFIC SPEED ON THE FREE WAY! yes, there's a littl emore to it then that... I passed a 'car' stopped on the on ramp and was winding lil Honda up tight. 'Car' took off after me assuming I would speed and he cut out to third lane on left, while I exited on the very next exit. I had no idea was who he was, and I saw him fly across 3 lanes to get behind me and exit too. MAJOR DANGER MOVE! Then he tail gated me [maybe 6-8 feet off my bumper] on the exit turn so I romped it again to increase the distance and on came the lights inside the windshield. I should have fought it but I was a moron instead. Looking back, can't believe he did what he did.
Thanks for listening.
smile.gif

I think I take the cake on this one just because of what happend to me last friday night.

I think I did the worst thing I could have ever done.

I RAN FROM THE COPS AT OVER 170 MILES AN HOUR!!
AND I DIDNT GET COUGHT, ALTHOUGH I SHOULD HAVE.

I felt the need for a quick ride around the lake, on one of the more curvier roads. So I blast through it having a great time and decide to just go for a little traffic surfing. As Im goin along I notice a cop goin the other direction and I know that Im speeding so I decide to bust a U and head to home. Well it turns out the officer of the law decided to make the U also. Right as I look up and behind me all I see is the flashing Red and Blue. Dont ask me why, but for some reason I just dropped down two gears and hammered it. Next thing I know Im reading over 170 on the speedo and no lights. I decide to slow down thinking that the little town cop wouldnt even try to chase me, but low and behold, there he is, right on kiester. I hammer it again and blast down road watching the needle just keep on goin. Next thing I know two more cops pull out infront of me. I just keep goin thinkin just one and only thought. IM GOIN TO JAIL!!

As Im flyin down the road Im tryin to thank of someplace to hide I decide to take an off ramp and head to another little town just down the road and then I see it, an open garage. HOME SAFE!! I pull into the garage and kill the monster and just watch the PoPo fly right by. I sit there a min. waiting for the dust to clear and hoping to god that no ones at home where Im hidding.

I wait a min more then decide to head for home and call it a night (and pray to god no more cops). I pull out of the garage and just take it slow. As I head for the house Im nervis as hell. Then as Im starting to cross the bridge for home, low and behold, (once again) a COP!!! Like just waiting for me. I play it cool, just roll past, stop at the stop sign. Pull out, make a left turn, and then the blue and red starts up again. I figure what the hell, Im goin to jail anyways, I just pull over.

A cop pulls up behind me, one in front and two on the side. I slowly pull of my helmet and say evening officer. He walks up to my bike, takes a look, and tells all the other cops, "this is the wrong guy, we were chasing a guy on a SILVER bike."
"sorry for makin the mistake sir, have a nice night."

I go, home, change my pants, and have the biggest beer I could find. If somebody likes me, thay proved it the other night. God realy does like, or at least I make him laugh.

Yea, I would say I break the law.

I think I take the cake on this one just because of what happend to me last friday night.

I think I did the worst thing I could have ever done.

I RAN FROM THE COPS AT OVER 170 MILES AN HOUR!!
   AND I DIDNT GET COUGHT, ALTHOUGH I SHOULD HAVE.

I felt the need for a quick ride around the lake, on one of the more curvier roads. So I blast through it having a great time and decide to just go for a little traffic surfing. As Im goin along I notice a cop goin the other direction and I know that Im speeding so I decide to bust a U and head to home. Well it turns out the officer of the law decided to make the U also. Right as I look up and behind me all I see is the flashing Red and Blue. Dont ask me why, but for some reason I just dropped down two gears and hammered it. Next thing I know Im reading over 170 on the speedo and no lights. I decide to slow down thinking that the little town cop wouldnt even try to chase me, but low and behold, there he is, right on kiester. I hammer it again and blast down road watching the needle just keep on goin. Next thing I know two more cops pull out infront of me. I just keep goin thinkin just one and only thought. IM GOIN TO JAIL!!

As Im flyin down the road Im tryin to thank of someplace to hide I decide to take an off ramp and head to another little town just down the road and then I see it, an open garage. HOME SAFE!! I pull into the garage and kill the monster and just watch the PoPo fly right by. I sit there a min. waiting for the dust to clear and hoping to god that no ones at home where Im hidding.

I wait a min more then decide to head for home and call it a night (and pray to god no more cops). I pull out of the garage and just take it slow. As I head for the house Im nervis as hell. Then as Im starting to cross the bridge for home, low and behold, (once again) a COP!!! Like just waiting for me. I play it cool, just roll past, stop at the stop sign. Pull out, make a left turn, and then the blue and red starts up again. I figure what the hell, Im goin to jail anyways, I just pull over.

A cop pulls up behind me, one in front and two on the side. I slowly pull of my helmet and say evening officer. He walks up to my bike, takes a look, and tells all the other cops, "this is the wrong guy, we were chasing a guy on a SILVER bike."
"sorry for makin the mistake sir, have a nice night."

I go, home, change my pants, and have the biggest beer I could find. If  somebody likes me, thay proved it the other night. God realy does like, or at least I make him laugh.

Yea, I would say I break the law.
Jester, you are 1 damn lucky dude, that's all I have to say!!!!

Damn Jester, just reading that made me nervous
lookaround.gif
I was out on the bike earlier tonight & I was just taking off from a red light, so there I am pulling a wheelie at about 70 & I pass a cop sitting on the side of the road with his radar out the window. Well I didnt even wait for him to turn the lights on, I just pulled over. He rolled up & lucky for me I have a badge & I knew the guy
biggrin.gif
As I take off my helmet the cop just laughed & said "I should have known it was you". No ticket....That is only the 2nd time in 1yr being pulled over on the Busa, not bad I guess. I don't think I would even try to run, I have a better chance talking my way out of it because of the badge(plus if I lose my license, I lose my job)....

Damn Jester, just reading that made me nervous  
lookaround.gif
I was out on the bike earlier tonight & I was just taking off from a red light, so there I am pulling a wheelie at about 70 & I pass a cop sitting on the side of the road with his radar out the window. Well I didnt even wait for him to turn the lights on, I just pulled over. He rolled up & lucky for me I have a badge & I knew the guy
biggrin.gif
As I take off my helmet the cop just laughed & said "I should have known it was you". No ticket....That is only the 2nd time in 1yr being pulled over on the Busa, not bad I guess.  I don't think I would even try to run, I have a better chance talking my way out of it because of the badge(plus if I lose my license, I lose my job)....
There we go.... Busa204 is a friendly neighbourhood policeman.....
see, I'm on my best behavior.
So 204 what's the skinny on when you chase and when you don't.
I've been meaning to ask a local cop sometime, cuz I'm curious.
BTW, what restaruant do you frequent that has a trough?
rock.gif
totally kiddin man..... just bustin your chops!!!!!
Have a great one.
Bill

Breaking the law is something everyone does. Well maybe everyone.
I just protect myself the best I can. I just purchased the new Solo S2 Cordless and remote sensor for the inside of my helmet.
Cross my finger's!

Monster, Im a local Firefighter/Paramedic, so that's how I have a badge
smile.gif
Its not a sure way out of a tickect but so far its saved my hide a few times...

Back