The Missing Link - shift link that is

OB_jeffw

Registered
Hi All,

I'm noticing that I get these false neutrals quite often (one per day). It's mostly 5-6, but I have seen 4-5. I have started being a bit more aggressive with shifting, but it comes and goes depending on the phase of the moon.

What is everyone else experience with this? I have heard some say it will diminish with time/miles, but I wonder about that.

yep I have seen that ocassionally and I heard another gentleman at the street races mention the same thing. definately comes with the moon phase :)

My transmission in the 5th to 6th shift has also gone to la-la land and back. It appears with milage (1750 miles) and the switch to all synthetic oil that the problem is no longer chronic. Try shifting without the clutch on your 5th to 6th shift, it should shift smooth. Apparently these big bore bikes tranny's are going to take a little extra time on break-in or we may all have to obtain that clutch modification.

I've got about 1450 miles on my 1300r and I
am still having the false neutral's inbetween
5 and 6, it does seem like it's getting
better though.

I was getting some false neutrals also between 5th and 6th gears. The problem went away and so has 6th gear. I have no 6th gear now, just a extra neutral where 6th is supposed to be, Iam so releaved.

Steves, hehe, funny, but I'm also sad you lost 6th. That worries me.

Mine has had false neutrals between 5th-6th also, but that was only during the first 300 miles (about 750 now). Maybe I adjusted and started shifting a little firmer, but I wasn't doing anything different between 1st-5th to start with.

I just hit mile 200 of the break in, and experienced the first la-la-land shift from 5th to 6th. After I pulled the clutch back in and let it out easy, I found I had 6th again.

Now I wonder I'm going to start seeing more of these . . .

I have had it pull it self into what seems to be neutral but the cluth cam has actually cause the cluth to slip. What rpm are you shifting at when this happens? What is the engine load before & after the shift ?

It seems to happen more if I engine break from the higher rpms. kinda scary when you see the tack drop to 1k and the engin still reving :(

It seems that problem of shifting from 5th to 6th is breakin related. But not to worry, it should go away with more miles. Big bore Suzuki's, say since the GS1000 & 1100 have
an excellent reputation for smoothness and reliability. I've got over 1500 miles on my Busa and I've switched to m/c full synthetic and she shifts like knife thru butter.

RD

I'm just running in my Abusa and yes, I'm getting false neutrals going into sixth. I suspect it will sort itself with the first service and with being able to rev it a bit hard. My R1 didn't like to go into top unless you were caning it and I suspect the Abusa may be the same. I feel when I can reve it harder and then change up it'll be fine.

I am having the same problem shifting from 5th to 6th. I started shifting very firmly to 6th gear to make sure it engages. I have about 650 miles on mines and it will still go into neutral if I don't shift with firm pressure. I will not take it back for a refund though. (-;

I'm sure most of you have already done this, but I saw a real improvement is shifting when I adjusted the shift lever downward about 1/2". With the stock lever height I had trouble getting my tow high enough for positive shifting.

I have 200 miles on the clock and have been
experiencing 4-5 and 5-6 false neutrals.
Moving the shifter lever down a little cut the frequency in about half but they still happen. I hope it works itself out during break-in 'cause it could be pretty distracting at 170 mph! I figure they had to make a pretty meaty transmission to handle all that torque. Must be some big dogs in there!

Picked mine up on Friday. So far I've only done 124 miles. I'm getting la la land between 4/5 and 5/6.

Also, it's sometimes it's very difficult to get into second from first which is gonna be a real pain when blasting away from petrol station forecourts for the benfit of the crowd (when she's run in, of course).

Hey got 4000 miles on mine and it still misses 5-6 once in a while although alot less than when new .I`m going to do the adjustment and sythetic thing hopefully it`ll fix it.

I found shifting to be much smoother on my Hayabusa if you barely pull in the clutch between shifts, just enough to relieve the pressure on the plates between shifts. I still get false neutrals between 5th & 6th from time to time , but I think switching to a synthetic will diminish that problem.

Be carefull in adjusting the shift lever. Most of us are used to shift lever position much lower than is possible with the busa. If you adjust it too low the rubber boot and heim joint hit the exhaust pipe. You don't really notice it except the trans just does not seem to shift well. You just have to adjust to your toe being higher.

I just went over 3000 miles on mine. I saw many of the false neutrals early in the break in but haven't experienced any in the last 1000 miles. Maybe I'm shifting harder maybe it's a wear in. I'll be going to synthetic soon with just about everyone else.

Back