The Lucy turbo build, and testing

The darker traces is the dump pipe pull vs the lighter traces, full exhaust.

I’ve ridden bikes at over 600hp with dumps. Never noticed the bike bing pushed over at all.
Hi. I do not know if it does. I was just wondering if it had any effect on stability? Look at Top Fuel cars the pipes point up in the air not at the ground. Top Fuel bikes the piped go up in the air behind the rider. does it put more traction to the ground? I had a conversation with someone who has kind of a fast bike, runs mid 6 s. We did not reach a conclusion if it did or did not. Why take a chance with the front wheel 2 feet in the air or the rear wheel spinning at 220 MPH! 2nd does the dump pipe create any extra drag at 200- 250-270+MPH?

Hi. I do not know if it does. I was just wondering if it had any effect on stability? Look at Top Fuel cars the pipes point up in the air not at the ground. Top Fuel bikes the piped go up in the air behind the rider. does it put more traction to the ground? I had a conversation with someone who has kind of a fast bike, runs mid 6 s. We did not reach a conclusion if it did or did not. Why take a chance with the front wheel 2 feet in the air or the rear wheel spinning at 220 MPH! 2nd does the dump pipe create any extra drag at 200- 250-270+MPH?

Like I said the few time I’ve ridden bike making huge power at over 200mph I’ve never felt the bike to be unstable or being pushed over.

Someone spent a bunch of money and did figure out that the angle at which exhaust leaves the pipe does create lift, or downforce depending on where they’re pointing. Big difference being this was to be true on 3000+hp engines. Look at x275 class small tire racing. You’ll see lots of bullhorns being used for this reason.

Wow.... Never thought of that.... But makes sense.

I'm not doing lsr... Or really high speed stuff.. But because of neighborhood, I do plan on an exhaust.

It's funny.... My dump pipe is loud as blank at start and idle.... But after leaving the house, and getting past 20mph...its really not bad,quiter than my old na race pipe,the turbo muffles

... I like that word Muffles:)

And it sounds good... Muffles between 40 and 80 mph...... me likey lol

Last edited:
Wow.... Never thought of that.... But makes sense.

I'm not doing lsr... Or really high speed stuff.. But because of neighborhood, I do plan on an exhaust.

It's funny.... My dump pipe is loud as blank at start and idle.... But after leaving the house, and getting past 20mph...its really not bad,quiter than my old na race pipe,the turbo muffles

... I like that word Muffles:)

And it sounds good... Muffles between 40 and 80 mph...... me likey lol
They don’t call turbos spiny mufflers for nothin!

I wanted to give C10 a shout out for hooking me up with a brand new OEM clutch kit.

I did notice on the dyno that the last few pull were a little lower on mph vs the earlier pulls in the day. Checking wheel speed vs rpm in the data logs showed some clutch slippage. Being that it already made awesome numbers I didn’t want to bring any attention to it. So it’s safe to say it will probably make a few HP more.

I have the bike the absolute worse chances to make good power. Wore out clutch, fuel soaked oil from an injector problem, and fowled plugs to boot. I just had a fresh drum of x98 delivered, new clutch plugs, and it will be going back on the roller.

I took a few min to swap the clutch out today and had an interesting find. The clutch pack looked brand new, as well as the outer clutch basket and needle bearing. A few of the clutch spring saddles were backed off a touch, and the inner clutch basket was loose so you could pull it in and out slightly.

So I pulled everything out, and saw some metal shavings where the inner basket was rubbing the outter. Cleaned everything and re assembled correctly with a new set of stock springs. No more slipping! On another note the turbo seems to hit harder now too. Can’t say I’m surprised with my findings.

F2790A36-673E-4584-9AB7-8597B7911A6C.jpeg

08C94D4A-CEE2-4A3A-B8E8-E07A6EF2F916.jpeg

87814238-BE3A-44F0-AB42-DE44C70DB7AF.jpeg

A little update.

Just rolled 1000 miles, and everything has been flawless with the exception of the clutch starting to slip again. I’ve made over 300 on stock springs before, so I’m not sure why I’m having issues. I have a feeling either the stack height is on the small side, or it’s some junk off brand steels and fibers. I need to get to the bottom of that before she goes on the dyno again for the x98 tune. With what she’s made so far, I’d expect to see right at 300hp.

I put together a spare parts base spacer motor to swap in and have some fun with. I’d like to lean on it and see if I can get over 400hp on stock pistons and rods. I’ve also been playing around with some air to water intercooler designs that I want to try out. I’m just busy getting these last few big customer projects out of the shop so I can free up some time for other things.

Rob you haven't put in the clutch from me yet?

I pulled the clutch out that it came with and it looked brand new. I posted a few pics a couple posts up.

So I just changed the springs as those were the only parts that looked original. I’m going to check what numbers I can get off the fibers and see if they’re OEM. If they are, then I’m betting it’s the stack height. If that’s okay, I’ll put one of those un-street-able boost clutches on it. :lol::lol:

Two things.
One
Why do they always seem to do Dyno runs in fourth. I get not using 6th but shy fourth and not say third
and Two.
c10 if you feel the need to clean messy shops I will buy you a plane ticket and treat you to Canadian beer to do mine ;). I have set aside the month of July to do it myself lol

Thanks John. I'm not a drinker anymore ;)
All tapped out on vacation too :(
I suspect it will be much the same by next year. But it you just want to come for a vacation I will keep the door closed. LOL. While it Is good you do not drink anymore it really does reduce y bargaining power :)

Two things.
One
Why do they always seem to do Dyno runs in fourth. I get not using 6th but shy fourth and not say third
and Two.
c10 if you feel the need to clean messy shops I will buy you a plane ticket and treat you to Canadian beer to do mine ;). I have set aside the month of July to do it myself lol
4th gear is right about 1:1, so that gives the most accurate torque readout. I’d you make a pull say in 3rd, the torque will read significantly higher, and HP lower because of gear reduction. Another reason although I don’t have this problem on my dyno, is 4th gear loads the engine down enough that turbos respond like they would going down the road.

Depending how how the bike is geared I can make pulls in 4th up to about 430hp. After that, traction usually starts becoming an issue, so then I’ll make pulls in 5th. On really big power stuff I’ve even had to use 6th a few times.

Back