The Long Way up.

bigoltool

Registered
So I have always been a fan of the Ewan McGregor/Charly Boornman ADV touring series "the Long Way Round" and "the Long Way Down". I had read rumors that they were doing a new series called "the Long way up" and today I learned that they have already started filming it. They are going from the tip of South America to Alaska. What is a bit shocking is that they have eschewed traditional ADV touring bikes for Harley Livewire Electrics! Even the Chase trucks are Rivian Electrics. First off I get it, Electrics are the future, but honestly this just seems futile. The Livewire has ~a 100 mile range under the best of conditions so a whole lot of stopping and waiting to charge is going to be in order. Secondly the Livewire is not built for the rigors of ADV touring so they have added quite a bit of extra stuff in order to make the bikes live through the 15000 mile trek. I can only imagine that Harley are footing the bill for a lot of this, and if so, well done to them for seizing the opportunity! BMW likely owes many millions of dollars in BMW GS sales success to the vast popularity of the previous two journeys.

I will of course be watching this once it comes out, but I gotta say I am just a little skeptical that this may be more of a corporate PR stunt than a true Motorcycle adventure.

Times they are a changing!

Increased GS sales? Didn’t they bemoan the fact that they chose bikes that were too heavy for the trip? Didn’t they have to weld up broken frames?

:confused: This is no more than a marketing exercise, turning an advertisement into a reality tv show.
Electric vehicles are being pushed by the people controlling this world system and this is merely the latest exercise in ‘pre-conditioning’ us all to the idea that EV’s are the way to go for the future.
Our freedom to choose whether we want a petrol or diesel burning vehicle is being taken from us and it’s all tied into the great human caused climate change swindle which has also been foisted upon us with no empirical evidence.
Meanwhile the Chinese can go about their polluting ways without restrictions or sanctions while the rest of the Western countries have to pay more and more to the UN in carbon taxes.
What a wonderful world . . .:mad:

Meh, ill watch it when it comes out, i did read murmurings a while back about them using leccys and wondered on the range, good luck to them ;)

Meh, ill watch it when it comes out, i did read murmurings a while back about them using leccys and wondered on the range, good luck to them ;)

Same here, it’s an entertaining show regardless of bike choice. I’m interested in seeing the scenery they’re gonna ride thru. It’s not gonna be like Che Guevara’s trip. :D Security and film and chase vehicles, maybe quick connect spare batteries with a chase van set up to recharge on the fly? I do hope they learned how to properly load a touring bike though.:laugh:

This show might end up becoming the persuasive counter argument

Highly doubt it. The producers want to sell you on a perfect reality. What they like wont show much of are the downfalls that occur in the background. HD will sell some of those bikes because of this show. Those customers wont look much into that specs and will be upset to know the real reality.

Back