The loaner...

BUSAFETT

Registered
I got to spend the past week with the family in Outer Banks, NC.  We've been there before, but this trip I decided to spice things up a bit..

I didn't get to bring my Busa, and of course all the way down I saw bikes everywhere-  Well just before we got to the house where we stay, we passed Kitty Hawk Harley Davidson...   I said fuggit and on Thursday rented me a 2006 Harley Softail Deluxe.  Pic can be seen below.  

It rode pretty nice, but I returned it yesterday and I still can't say whether I "loved" it or not..  There were things about it I enjoyed, but don't know if I'm ready to give up my Busa for an HD just yet..  It had 171 miles on it when they gave it to me.

Specs on the bike can be found  .  

BUSAFETT

Sorry man
sad.gif
didn't know that you were that ILL
grim.gif

I see it has the "B" motor (counterbalanced) how did you like it?

How did the performance compare to King Busa?

I been thinking about renting one just for a change of pace.

Well it did ride nice on the beach roads where the speeds kept changing from 55-45-35-25 and back up. But the thing that kept bugging me was, the engine sounded like a riding tractor engine to me. Must be b/c I'm tuned to that fine WHINE of my Busa.

It also didn't handle as well on turns as my Busa (duh), but for that type of setting and laid-back atmosphere, it was a nice change (just as Justntym mentioned).

The thing is, I could see myself getting bored with it pretty quickly. It got alot of looks going down the road, but I guess it was just the typical Harley-addiction from others out there.

I hate sounding like I didn't like the bike, b/c it was a nice ride. I'm just one of those folks who isn't happy unless he's strapped to an ICBM.
biggrin.gif

BUSAFETT

I feel your pain. My busa is still in FL. so I took out a cruiser. The cruiser was very comfy and at least got hte wind in my face. 80mph in 5th gear, not sure what the top is, but the busa pushing 350hp gets 80mph in first if pushed. All in al I thanked my neighbor for the loan but I want my BUSA.

How did it Accelerate?...Turn?...Stop?....Handle?

I rode a buds "Duece" about 8 months ago...for about 2 miles and a u-turn...couldn't wait ta get it back to'im while it was still in one piece.
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I can imagine it would be fun for a short term. Like going on vacation great to visit but wouldn't want to stay there.

otay...lemme pretend this is an hd board for a moment...
tounge.gif

so?....do you hafta buy the "DELUXE" model to get the white walls?
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Nothing wrong with a Rental Harley... cause you can give it back once you tire of it. Should be good for about 200 miles. Before the realization sets in that it's just not really a very good motorcycle.

How did it Accelerate?...Turn?...Stop?....Handle?

I rode a buds "Duece" about 8 months ago...for about 2 miles and a u-turn...couldn't wait ta get it back to'im while it was still in one piece.
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Whoever it was who commented on the trash can in the background, that made me bust out laughing.  
biggrin.gif
 But NO it was not my intent..

As for handling, acceleration, turns, etc..  Acceleration was OK (still not a Busa but not bad), turns were kinda lame with the "loading ramp" sized footrests, and to be honest I didn't take any turns too tight b/c I was afraid of scratching one of the 85 chrome components on the thing.  I'll classify the thing as a "good straight road bike".

As for the bike overall, I will admit this (now that it's returned): I'll be damm'd if I could get the POS into NEUTRAL!!  It kept jumping directly from 1-2, 2-1, and there was no happy medium.  I tried everything I could think of, including not fully engaging the clutch-  The 'N' would just flicker and go away, basically laughing at me.  I just joked to myself when it would happen, and mumbled to myself that "the N means NEVER BUY ONE".  Thankfully I didn't sit at many long red lights, so the clutch "should" be OK for the next renter.    
biggrin.gif

But, as someone else has stated on this topic, it beat not having any bike with me at all.  It was actually the highlight of the trip (being able to ride there that is, NOT having a Harley - just wanted to be clear).

BUSAFETT

<!--EDIT|BUSAFETT
Reason for Edit: "forgot a word.."|1156637243 -->

biggrin.gif

I took an '04 Softail around the block that we had taken in on trade at the auto dealership where I work. After dragging something making the first easy turn. I tested the acceleration in 1st gear and immediately I knew that this bike went in the "better than nothing" file, if indeed you were far from the Busa. If I ever mellow, motorcycle-wise, it will be towards a Gold Wing.

<!--EDIT|Red05
Reason for Edit: "typo"|1156644339 -->

I'm familiar with the Outer Banks (beachy) but damn is it illegal to have grass down there? Looks like the IRAQ front yard package deal.

I'm familiar with the Outer Banks (beachy) but damn is it illegal to have grass down there?  Looks like the IRAQ front yard package deal.
Funny you mention that, OE.. The guy next door had his sprinkler system running non-stop to cater to the "yard" they had.. I asked my wife, "does sand grow if you water it regularly?"

BUSAFETT

Back