The Lifestyle

Copperone

One of the Few, the proud -
Donating Member
Registered
When we first moved to Arizona a couple of years ago I was out on the Busa, just crusing and I got stopped by a local Sheriff on one of the back roads. Like I said, I was just crusing he stopped me for doing 95 in a 45 and some how, I talked my way out of that ticket. I thought a lot about getting a ticket at that speed, (I have a commercial drivers license) and I convinced myself that I needed to sell the Busa and buy a Harley. One Harley wasen't enough, so I bought another. I currently have an electra glide and a dyna. Both are very nice bikes in their own right. I have enjoyed the Harleys but.... I am truely old school when it comes to riding and motorcycles. This is not a brag but I have been riding motorcycles for over 40 years, and it doesn't seem like so many years ago that it really didn't matter what kind of bike one rode. It was just the idea of being out there, being in the wind and enjoying the freedom. I still feel that way, but what I have found with Harley is that they are tryiing to sell a lifestyle, an image if you will. I guess I'm just not interested in their image. I rode Harley's when they were junk and didn't cost a fortune and you had to fix them yourself or you didn't ride. I still do all the work on my bikes but for many, they don't even know how to turn a wrench. Any how, I don't need the harley image. I am who I am. So, for now, one of Harleys is getting sold as soon as I can sell it so I can get another Busa. There is just something about a Busa. On the one hand it can be as smooth as silk and on the other, it can be an absolute beast. I was at Laguna Seca a couple of years ago and was fortunate to meet several Busa riders on the board. These are guys who truely love there Busas and love to ride them hard. I had an absolute blast that week we spent riding around the Monterey area... More fun than I have ever had on the Harley. Not long ago, I test road a V Rod. The guys at Harley were telling me how fast it was and how great it handled. I can tell you first had, it isn't even fast and it handles like really bad. It scared me going into corners. Totallly abstract steering. I guess thats when I realized that I should have never sold my Busa and thats when I got the bug again. I'm here to tell you there is nothing like a Busa. I'm really looking forward to being part of the Busa community again, and getting to ride with you all again. Sorry this is so long, but I guess I just needed to get this off my chest.
egitarre77.gif

Harleys have their place, but it's not in the corners and it's not at triple digit speeds.

Both HDs I own are from that "I rode Harleys when they were junk and didn't cost a fortune and you fixed them yourself or you didn't ride," era so I can sympathize with you on that. And while the quality and the fit and finish has gotten slightly better since those dark days (i.e. the old AMF years) it does seem like fewer and fewer people know anything about them and they just toss them off on their dealer to fix. And maybe throw on a few more acres of chrome while they have them at the shop.

My neighbor has a 2000something Screaming Eagle Road King and it sits more than it runs. He's always got it back to the dealership to fix some little stupid thing like the cheap plastic locking tabs on his tour pack breaking. He's got close to $35,000 in that monstrosity and he's never put more than 1000 miles a year on it.

Then he likes to talk about how "fast" his Road King is (it weighs like 1100 pounds
SHOCKED.gif
) and how he can "smoke any sportbike out there." I just grin and shake my head and ride off to find a deserted road to do 150 on in 4th gear while he's lying under his bike trying to figure out what's wrong with it now.

Since getting into sportbikes about five or six years ago I've decided that I love my Harleys (and most all bikes for that matter) but I really loathe most Harley riders because of their Hollier than thou attitude (or would that be less holy than thou, since they all want to act like total bad azzes?)

I rode a V-Rod a couple of years ago and was impressed with the grunt from the Porsche inspired engine but I agree that it handles like a tricycle and the controlls are an ergonomics nightmare. Those facts, combined with a price tag that's about ten thousand dollars more than it's worth make it an intersting conversation piece, but a bad deal in the long run.

Congratulations for deciding to return to the madness that is Hayabusa ownership. You're right, there's truly no other ride like it on the roads.

Thanks for the feedback Crash Bomb. You said what I was trying to say better than I did. The bad ass image is exactly what I was talking about. Don't need it or want it.

There truly is no other bike like the busa. Once you get past all the hype and legend, the thing just plain delivers. Harley on the other hand, just leaves you scratchin yer head. Welcome back Copper.
beerchug.gif

I gotta agree with just the idea of being out there. WHO CARES what you ride as long as you are enjoying yourself, and not just trying to LOOK like something. One of the best rides of my life was out in the open, middle of nowhere 100's of miles of empty roads in New Mexico.... and I was trailing behind a Harley. We were just enjoying the ride! I stayed behind him for the most part so I could SEE teh enjoyment mirrored back to me - I can't see myself when I'm riding so it was cool to see anther person. No egos, no speed races, no image... just enjoying the main point behind cycling. The ride! Awesome.

Welcome back Copper- by the way, that color font in this post is REALLY hard to read...
sad.gif

I also have a commercial license. And make deliveries in areas that have huge Harley Rallys, several times a year. And although I appreciate their business they provide. And occasionally like some of what I see. Before I bought my Busa. I had a list of bikes to choose from & not one was a Harley. Glad to have you back. But if you make it to the Carolinas. I'll ride with ya, regardless of what you got
beerchug.gif

BTW:
This was my list=
Suzuki GSX-R1000
Kawasaki ZX-10R
Ducati 999R
MV Agusta F4 1000
Yamaha R1

AND YOU ALREADY KNOW WHO THE TOP PICK IS
race.gif

Hey Bass Crazy, I used to live in North Carolina when I was on active duty in the Marine Corps. Great place. If I ever get back there, it will be on a Busa. BTW you've got a great list of bikes there. I'm glad to be back and I hope my Harley sells soon so I get get another Busa. Thanks for the kind words.

Back