The Iron Butt Rally! >............Anyone here heard of this event?

BUBBA

Foghoon Leghoon
Donating Member
Registered
Hello all you Iron butts,

I met my future in-laws this weekend, and as it turns out, the grandfather's son is a long distance rider and is in high standings on an event called -
“The Iron Butt Rally”

He came in at ninth position in '09 on a BMW 1200.

It is a very long and closely monitored race that has been going on for sometime. I never knew anything about until yesterday.

His name is Ken Meese and he has over 100,000 miles on the current bike.

If you know any info on this, please post it up.

I would like to know who my daughter is marrying into! :laugh:

Sorry no pics of him, But here is a family shot to preclude a useless thread.

Bubba

IMG_9679.jpg

Last edited:
Warchild is a member of the Iron Butt Rally staff.

It's an amazingly committed group.

"Closely monitored" scarcely describes the wickets through which LDRs need to pass to prove their mileage.

:beerchug:

Not sure for how long but it has been around for a while now. Been fantasizing about doing one someday

im down if someone wants to do it across a weekend, I tried to make it to Wag's house from Tupelo MS which is 1100 miles (GPS) but weather got in the way.

Dang, 11,000 miles in 11 days...that has to be tough. I guess I'd consider myself an aluminum butt. :laugh:

I am even softer than lead!!:rofl:

The event rules are probably one of the biggest stumbling blocks too. They have to not only endure, but also keep tight records and document everything!!
Ken Meese was also one of few that was allowed in the event!
Bubba

I thought about doing it when I had my HD. Not even a thought on the Busa, I dont find it comfortable enough. Good luck to you guys that want to give it a shot!!

i know all about the IBA. always thought the personal rides were silly, i just dont feel the need to pay someone to give me an attaboy and a piece of paper that says i can ride far. i know i can ride far. plan on doing a couple "bun burner" 1000mi days here in a few weeks, but im not going to jump through thier hoops and pay for the "privilege". i have a friend John Bolin, husband of the late great Karen Bolin, he actually won the long run one year at 9days + change. hardcore long riders. crazy in a touched in the head kinda way. some of these guys don't even stop to pee. most have larger tanks for a 600+ mile range. lots of BMW folks.
i was flagging in muddy gap wy. stopped a group that were headed from san fran to seattle via yellowstone park, said "it makes for a long days ride." they were going nonstop. and got extra points for going to or through certain state parks. kinda explains why they were mad they had to wait for 15min.
i'll have to look and see if anyone on a Hayabusa has ever finished the long run.
11,000mi in 11 days is rough man. don't think i could do it on a busa, even on a Victory Vision would be iffy. 1000mi a day i can do for 3 maybe 4 days. but 11? by the 4th or 5th day all i would want to do is stay in the motel and nap and watch tv.

i know people that don't get 11,000mi a year, rather less in 11 days.

i have always thought the CC50 was cool. coast to coast in 50 hrs or less.
i just like the idea of riding to one coast, then turning around and riding to the other. has a kinda forest gump feeling to it.:laugh:

Back