The Interview

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Sounds like Youtube is going to stream this, the full movie, for a limited time.

Bet that will use quite a bit of broadband, besides making a point.:laugh:

Good on Sony! Freedom, democracy, and the 1st amendment - all of them win. The nut dictator can shove it up his arse. I am sure South Korean activists burning DVD's as we speak, and will sneak them inside North Korea ASAP.

A friend of mine watched it today - he was not impressed...

Wouldn't it be something if Sony faked all this just to gain viewers.....think about it for a sec...start international incident over it...

None of seth rogen's are that great... I saw some of it before far crap got in the way...

Good on Sony! Freedom, democracy, and the 1st amendment - all of them win. The nut dictator can shove it up his arse. I am sure South Korean activists burning DVD's as we speak, and will sneak them inside North Korea ASAP.

It's still up for debate if North Korea behind the attack. Deeper analysis seems to lean towards it not being done by them, but that's a discussion for the main thread.

1st amendment? Sony was trying to sue reporters for reporting details about the hack.

Sony is also the company that pushed malware DRM on computers, and had several previous hacks that lost customer data.

They aren't heros and shouldn't be congratulated for publishing a crap movie.

Also I don't know why people are viewing this situation as USA vs N.Korea when it's a Japanese company involved.

If we turn the debate around, and look at some evidence that the North Koreans might NOT be behind the Sony hack, the picture looks significantly clearer.

1. First of all, there is the fact that the attackers only brought up the anti-North Korean bias of “The Interview” after the media did—the film was never mentioned by the hackers right at the start of their campaign. In fact, it was only after a few people started speculating in the media that this and the communication from North Korea “might be linked” that suddenly it did get linked. My view is that the attackers saw this as an opportunity for “lulz”, and a way to misdirect everyone. (And wouldn’t you know it? The hackers are now saying it’s okay for Sony to release the movie, after all.) If everyone believes it’s a nation state, then the criminal investigation will likely die. It’s the perfect smokescreen.

2. The hackers dumped the data. Would a state with a keen understanding of the power of propaganda be so willing to just throw away such a trove of information? The mass dump suggests that whoever did this, their primary motivation was to embarrass Sony Pictures. They wanted to humiliate the company, pure and simple.

3. Blaming North Korea offers an easy way out for the many, many people who allowed this debacle to happen; from Sony Pictures management through to the security team that were defending Sony Picture’s network.

4. You don’t need to be a conspiracy theorist to see that blaming North Korea is quite convenient for the FBI and the current U.S. administration. It’s the perfect excuse to push through whatever new, strong, cyber-laws they feel are appropriate, safe in the knowledge that an outraged public is fairly likely to support them.

5. Hard-coded paths and passwords in the malware make it clear that whoever wrote the code had extensive knowledge of Sony’s internal architecture and access to key passwords. While it’s (just) plausible that a North Korean elite cyber unit could have built up this knowledge over time and then used it to make the malware, Occam’s razor suggests the simpler explanation of a pissed-off insider. Combine that with the details of several layoffs that Sony was planning and you don’t have to stretch the imagination too far to consider that a disgruntled Sony employee might be at the heart of it all.

I am no fan of the North Korean regime. However I believe that calling out a foreign nation over a cybercrime of this magnitude should never have been undertaken on such weak evidence.

The evidence used to attribute a nation state in such a case should be solid enough that it would be both admissible and effective in a court of law. As it stands, I do not believe we are anywhere close to meeting that standard.

I love how everything here turns in to a debate... :p

I love Seth Rogen, and Omar and I had plans to see the movie on Christmas day before the media chaos/Sony debacle began.

We rented it last night from our living room for $6, so I don't really care if North Korea or Sony did this, we just saw a movie we were going to see anyway, cheap. Even more people are seeing it for free on torrent sites...what's to debate? Go sit on your Busa...

'Merica :laugh:

Well Team America: World Police properly insulted the N. Koreans. That movie was funny and I have seen it maybe 10 times. It also happens to include the best puppet love scene ever made. Lol! When I first heard this my first thought was this was a publicity stunt. Even a 2 bit dictator would not be stupid enough to admit something like this got under his skin would he?

I love how everything here turns in to a debate... :p I love Seth Rogen, and Omar and I had plans to see the movie on Christmas day before the media chaos/Sony debacle began. We rented it last night from our living room for $6, so I don't really care if North Korea or Sony did this, we just saw a movie we were going to see anyway, cheap. Even more people are seeing it for free on torrent sites...what's to debate? Go sit on your Busa... 'Merica :laugh:

I'm just sticking to Facebook from now on. I took a break for the org because of all the 'debates'. I've been coming back on lately and this kind of crap is all I see. More of the same

I'm just sticking to Facebook from now on. I took a break for the org because of all the 'debates'. I've been coming back on lately and this kind of crap is all I see. More of the same

I too am looking forward to just seeing it as a movie....who cares about the rest

:tiptoe:

Perhaps Suzuki Corporation should take some marketing tips from Sony :hide:

I won't watch the movie because aside from the Koreans there are no minorities with major roles in the movie....:laugh::rofl::rofl::laugh:

It's still up for debate if North Korea behind the attack. Deeper analysis seems to lean towards it not being done by them, but that's a discussion for the main thread.

1st amendment? Sony was trying to sue reporters for reporting details about the hack.

Sony is also the company that pushed malware DRM on computers, and had several previous hacks that lost customer data.

They aren't heros and shouldn't be congratulated for publishing a crap movie.

Also I don't know why people are viewing this situation as USA vs N.Korea when it's a Japanese company involved.

The hack and fouled up release of the movie does effect America.

Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Entertainment Inc., a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. <-- pretty much means that thought Tokyo is main base for the Sony corporation. SONY pictures is operated here in the Good Ole USA and effects stuff from loss of taxes to loss of American's private information.

Senior management team looks just about all American to me...

Senior Management Team | Sony Pictures

SOE(Sony Online Entertainment) hack was a pretty nasty blow. They were off line for quite some time.

Seen the movie, it was a typical movie like "Pineapple Express". The problem will be fore most is that peoples expectations are heightened because of all the drama around it's release and most will expect more out of the movie instead of just enjoying it for what it is. I thought it was OK.

I just watched the movie with my wife, and on a scale 1-10, I'd give it an 8. Definitely worth watching, laughed many times, and at the end, we weren't sorry at all that we watched the movie.

What many of you know theoretically, I've lived through. Things like brainwashing population into believing that supreme leaders are almost Gods. What North Korea has now is worse, or at the least as bad as when Stalin was in power in the former Soviet Union in 1930's through 1950's or so. Labor camps, mass killings, people ratting on each other for the wrong word - that was the reality of that time, and that's the reality of North Korea right now.

The significant difference is that at that time there was no Internet and other modern ways to spread information. Now there is, which in turn has the potential to compromise all the brainwashing, and that creates at the least a real concern in the eyes of KJU. So, to me his attempt to shut off such movie is very believable. To regular North Koreans such movie would be like a revelation - in magnitude, only comparable if aliens landed in Washington D.C. and went on national TV telling us how they created Earth and all people.

more like a marketing ploy. jus think how many ppl will watch it now that wud hav nvr watched it b4

If this movie was available in NK do you think anyone might get an idea, to do what the movie suggests?

Maybe that is why the leaders in NK didn't want it shown? ???

I just watched the movie with my wife, and on a scale 1-10, I'd give it an 8. Definitely worth watching, laughed many times, and at the end, we weren't sorry at all that we watched the movie.

What many of you know theoretically, I've lived through. Things like brainwashing population into believing that supreme leaders are almost Gods. What North Korea has now is worse, or at the least as bad as when Stalin was in power in the former Soviet Union in 1930's through 1950's or so. Labor camps, mass killings, people ratting on each other for the wrong word - that was the reality of that time, and that's the reality of North Korea right now.

The significant difference is that at that time there was no Internet and other modern ways to spread information. Now there is, which in turn has the potential to compromise all the brainwashing, and that creates at the least a real concern in the eyes of KJU. So, to me his attempt to shut off such movie is very believable. To regular North Koreans such movie would be like a revelation - in magnitude, only comparable if aliens landed in Washington D.C. and went on national TV telling us how they created Earth and all people.

Man an 8 ??? I can't imagine this movie being that good and from the reviews I've heard it's not going to win an academy award. :whistle:

Back