The first true sportbikes-year make and model

owned a GPZ 750 factory turbo think it was mid 80's and at the time all the "sport bike" I needed.

Wow, I'm in great company! I had an '85 Tax Tariff 700 Interceptor with the Super Trapps... I rode the be-jeezus out of it, until the ex-wife wanted a new car and I gave it to a dealership as the down payment. I miss the bike: the ex-wife, not so much. :cheerleader:

honda nighthawk 700s. i still wish i could find and there are some...floating around...but honestly the cbr's i think started the full sport bike craze

I remember seeing a suzuki rotory for sale at my local dealers in the 70s.
Just looked up a pic of them, funny at the time I remember them looking strange, now they look just like any other bike.

Most of the bikes in this thread were a slow progress of what we already had.

To me Landmark Sportsbikes were things like the Gpz900R, 85 GSXR750,
and the 1st CBR900 Fireblade. They were BIG step's in their day.

owned a GPZ 750 factory turbo think it was mid 80's and at the time all the "sport bike" I needed.

A friend had one of those 750 turbos, man did that thing pull hard once spooled up...thought it was going to `come out from under me`. I felt a little bad because when he let me ride it, I brought it back with a broken clutch cable...he wasn`t upset just said no problem, it sometimes happens when being run hard.
The first bikes I most remember looking like the ones today are the mid 80`s Ninja and Hurricane...man I wanted one bad, my `84 (?) GS650E ran good though.

The first true sportbike was the Vincent Black Shadow. It was a hand-built motorcycle produced by Vincent HRD from 1948. "The Vincent" was the world's most exclusive and technologically advanced motorcycle. The 45 hp 998cc V-Twin was an air cooled configuration that had a top speed of 110 mph. It was on the 13th of September 1948 that a man by the name of Rollie Free smashed the world motorcycle speed record previously held by Harley Davison by riding a Vincent HRD 998 Black Lightning at 150.313 m.p.h. on the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, USA. A speed that was astonishing when you think that the average bike of the time had a top end of about 90mph.

Wow, I'm in great company! I had an '85 Tax Tariff 700 Interceptor with the Super Trapps... I rode the be-jeezus out of it, until the ex-wife wanted a new car and I gave it to a dealership as the down payment. I miss the bike: the ex-wife, not so much. :cheerleader:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: My ex told me I would get a new wife before I got a new bike. Turns out she was right! :rofl:

Practice is important; practice wives are a PITA :beerchug:

Back