The first true sportbikes-year make and model

mountainmotor

Donating Member
Registered
I was thinking about that term - what were some of them in other brands that were street bikes available to the public ?

For Suzuki it was the 1981 Katana 1000 - I had the 83' 1100 torture rack but was there anything earlier for Suzuki ? Even Japan only ?

How about other brands- street legal racers for their time.

In 1979 Suzuki built a GS1000S model. I would love to own one of those and the 81 Katana.

In 1979 Suzuki built a GS1000S model

Yeah but the frame geometry was the same as the GS i'm thinking . Even the 1000E had twin front discs in 78' or was it 79' ?

The 1982 Kawasaki Lawson Replica had an inch longer swingarm, different rake/trail at steering head of frame vs the regular KZ1000 J model in 1982 . It had an edge of sorts in racing one vs race prepping a J model .

Dunno- things like that was why i was thinking about the entire < what's the definition of > thing and who made what .

I guess the Norton Dunstall's are in the group ?

I started on a 85 500 interceptor !

I loved that bike too. I had both 85s. The 500 and 700. Rode the 500 more intown, but it was a GREAT bike; quick to rev, nimble in the turns. Man, you guys are making me really miss my old bikes! :beerchug:I

I rode my 700 from Kingsville, TX to Appleton, WI in the summer of 90. Three of us lived together (active duty Navy) just off base. One of them was from Appleton, so we decided to go visit his family. They were both on ninja 600s. We left on July 1st and arrived in Appleton very late on the 3rd. BRUTAL ride. I fell asleep while riding TWICE before we stopped on the side of the highway and slept next to our bikes. I remember the look on the cops face when he woke us up....he looked surprised that we were still alive!:laugh: "Hey, you guys can't sleep here; this is a highway! Get out of here now!" :rofl: Priceless memories!

Sorry, all this talk of old bikes....:whistle:

I beat the hell out of that 500 . sold it with 50k on the motor and probly only 5 oil changes . :whistle:

first was a honda nighthawk 650 yr ??

2nd was a honda 750 interceptor 1986

3rd was my hayabusa 2004

:beerchug:

Yep , wish they would come back. Technology is now to where it could meet EPA .

Norton made a stout rotary - check youtube . Makes wicked noise.

That would be cool.There was a nice low milage one for sale a while back on craigslist.Had like 1900 miles on it for $2500 if I remember right.

Google the 56' Moto Guzzi V8 - Morbidelli V8 and the Laverda V6 -youtube has sound

laverda%201000%20V6%2078%20%204.jpg

Man, I'm disapponted in u guys! It was the 1984 Kawasaki zx900 Ninja. Laid waste to the 1000cc bikes!

Man, I'm disapponted in u guys! It was the 1984 Kawasaki zx900 Ninja. Laid waste to the 1000cc bikes!

Yes, the 900 Ninja, I loved those bikes, remember Tom Cruise in Top Gun rode one. Friends of mine had 600 Ninja and a GSXR 750 that were awesome. I had a Kawasaki GPz 550, a fun little bike I wish I still had, silver, have not ever seen another one on the road.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back