The emergency off switch got me today

The switch is a contact switch...it could fail to work one day...not really a big deal since you most leave it in the run position....

But really, if ever you're riding along at night, and you hear or feel a bizarre noise/shudder on the bike, i'd want to pull over and be seen (lit up)...the kill switch will shut down the engine but keep all electronics going (lights)...

Safety issue, but that's all.

It has it's use and later models have four way flashers from the factory. Good point

I never touch the emergency switch. It will probably handle a million cycles, but moving parts wear out and tear up, why create an issue.

I've never touched it either...what's worse though is when there is an idiot in the group who thinks it's funny to habitually reach over and hit a kill switch on someone else's bike when the light turns green...then takes off

I rode with some 20 year olds back in '06 and a few of them played that crap and bumped legs doing it on their 600's, het I was young once too, so I can't say a lot. I still find myself doing stupid stuff ...... It's absolutely dangerous

They teach you to use it all the time in MSF. Personnaly, I usually use my kickstand safety switch to shut off my bike. I leave it in gear, put down the stand and then turn off the bike. I figure this way I shouldn't forget to put the darned thing down and rack up a 1500+ repair bill and it stays in gear which is a good thing while parking. Almost never touch the safety switch.

FINE-C to Start and Thumb/Key/Valve to Stop. MSF offers great courses by the way. Highly recommend them to anyone. I've seen riders with 10+ years experience drop bikes in the foundations class.

JPunisher

Back