The emergency off switch got me today

groran1000

Registered
Yep, but I didn't do it. I stop at my favorite chicken place today after riding awhile. As I go in, a guy and his son come out of the store and he tells me, my son just lovvvves those bikes and I say oh that's great. Then he asked how fast does it go and I say as fast as you want. During the mean while, the son that just lovvves those bikes had to hit that bright red button when I wasn't looking. I eat, come out, turn on switch, low oil, temp gauge pegged and I say SOB. Now I got to call my wife 100 miles away at her job to go home get my truck and trailer and come get me. Then I get on the internet via smartphone then I get to post saying turn key on, pick up kickstand cycle on off emerg. switch and I look at it and it's on off. I tell you I started remembering how the little boy got close, but I was looking at dad and talking to dad. Sooo, all because you didn't do it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Little fot.

dadofthree

Seasoned Beef
Donating Member
Registered
I've never called anyone, but been down this path so many times with interlocks on this site I'm a pro. I've got buddies that think it's funny to flip it. When I ride with them I look at it before I turn the key. :laugh: Kickstand is another one.

cheferman65

Registered
I've never called anyone, but been down this path so many times with interlocks on this site I'm a pro. I've got buddies that think it's funny to flip it. When I ride with them I look at it before I turn the key. :laugh: Kickstand is another one.

Add me to the list, when we start riding together, I'm so going to do this to you.....:whistle:

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
Interesting thread.

I always hit the kill switch first, then turn the key off when done. When starting, first ignition key on, then switch, wait for the fuel pump to stop running and hit the start button. Am I the only one doing it this way?

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Interesting thread.

I always hit the kill switch first, then turn the key off when done. When starting, first ignition key on, then switch, wait for the fuel pump to stop running and hit the start button. Am I the only one doing it this way?
This is I do it too, I always use the kill switch.

dadofthree

Seasoned Beef
Donating Member
Registered
This is why I ride on the right!! Hard to reach the switch from the left!

-D
I had a bike trooper stop me in Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago. Naomi was on the back and when I lean forward all my mirrors show are my shoulders. He hit me with the siren and I pulled over. Apparently he had been behind me for a second. He told me that he was about to come up on my right and hit the killswitch. I was a bit of a smartazz and said, I'm glad you didn't that's my NOS switch :laugh: He said my pipe was a bit loud, but I could see it in his face, it was bike week, and when grandpa took his helmet off and smiled the traffic stop was over. He was probably doing what we do, looking for issues and wanted folks.

RedBusarider

Registered
Interesting thread.

I do this too.
On all my bikes.

A long time ago I was told - if you use the emergency switch all the time - the first time it won't
turn off the bike you know it's bad and need to replace it vs never using it and then
in a real emergency it's corroded and doesn't work!

RYC1966

Donating Member
Registered
There is no worse feeling trying to fire the engine and getting nothing...only to find that you bumped the rocker switch. I have done that before while riding and it shut down...then felt like an idiot to search for the issue...

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
Interesting thread.

Yes, you are :p

No, you're not actually...honestly, it's been so long since I've ridden and winter has eaten away at my tiny brain, I think I do both and I know I've had that emergency switch in the off position before when I thought it was on, couldn't start the bike, started a mini-panic miles from home, then it hits me - low on blinker fluid, again... :whistle:

VaBusa

oRg Gal
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
There is no worse feeling trying to fire the engine and getting nothing...only to find that you bumped the rocker switch. I have done that before while riding and it shut down...then felt like an idiot to search for the issue...
I have actually panicked a bit, all geared up, in a rush because you're with a group and don't want to be "that person", Busa won't start, WTH, everything is as it should be.................oh, except you're sitting there with the kickstand down you doltz :banghead:

Oh wait, is that just me? :rofl:

Karl_1052

Registered
Interesting thread.

This is the only way I turn off and on my bike.

E Zurcher

Registered
They teach you to use it all the time in MSF. Personnaly, I usually use my kickstand safety switch to shut off my bike. I leave it in gear, put down the stand and then turn off the bike. I figure this way I shouldn't forget to put the darned thing down and rack up a 1500+ repair bill and it stays in gear which is a good thing while parking. Almost never touch the safety switch.

dadofthree

Seasoned Beef
Donating Member
Registered
I never touch the emergency switch. It will probably handle a million cycles, but moving parts wear out and tear up, why create an issue.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Emergency kickstand cut off switch General Bike Related Topics 1
rubbersidedown Cheers,the banging of pots & pans,emergency vehicles blastin'horns & sirens Random Thoughts 2
Loomis Emergency Contact numbers at the Bash. 2013 Spring Bash 19
NINJA KILLER Emergency Surgery- warning: gore, not child safe Random Thoughts 85
SKECHE emerGENcy..... Pay It Forward - Members helping Members 23
shawnski i had to go to emergency room.. Random Thoughts 31
Y Hard/emergency braking Riding Skills/Survival Techniques 59
Loomis Emergency Contact numbers at the Bash. 2012 Spring Busa Bash - April 20-22 10
highestgrade Limited state of emergency Random Thoughts 20
R Roadside emergency tire repair General Bike Related Topics 9
Riley74 Emergency communications? General Bike Related Topics 9
M Emergency room rant Random Thoughts 23
Scar Emergency FlightCare (Enloe) (Busa Stampede) 2010 Busa Stampede 24
aussiekeeper Emergency Room...... Random Thoughts 2
jsjdjn Emergency Exhaust Removal General Bike Related Topics 15
Kat99 Emergency supply equipment?? General Bike Related Topics 23
Projekt Emergency!!! How long will you last in a disaster scenario Polls 73
Kento-Moto UPDATE 6/17/09 Stampede Emergency Flight Care 2009 Busa Stampede 27
Scar Emergency Room Visit Random Thoughts 37
billyerds01 Emergency Kit General Bike Related Topics 8
TXBusa05LE He's messaging the emergency room. Random Thoughts 3
jch364 EMERGENCY!!!!! Riding Gear 16
Kento-Moto global emergency locator Random Thoughts 7
M Emergency message Random Thoughts 18
H AIR TRAVEL?? TERRORIST EMERGENCY Random Thoughts 4
MPH 200 Brothers - i need help - emergency Random Thoughts 5
G Emergency tire repair kits? General Bike Related Topics 7
shimmyz Mototeck emergency!!! General Bike Related Topics 8
C Cel Phone Emergency storage Random Thoughts 6
Charlesbusa In case you missed the JetBlue emergency landing, Random Thoughts 14
tedbiele In case of emergency! General Bike Related Topics 21
thrasherfox EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT TIP OF THE WEEK Random Thoughts 4
thrasherfox EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT TIP OF THE WEEK Random Thoughts 1
K Small Emergency....How Do I install Flame Slider General Bike Related Topics 4
†WÃ￾§†ëD emergency jumbo jet landing! General Bike Related Topics 26
S Emergency General Bike Related Topics 0
G EMERGENCY..........need a starter immediately General Discussion 9
O Need Info on Best Cellphone for motorcycle emergency General Discussion 5
J Gen 1 fairing set options? Drop finished them off... Appearance mods 0
rubbersidedown East meets West. Ready for bowling. Car you could eat off. Random Thoughts 5
Tetsuo1000 You kids stay off my lawn! General Bike Related Topics 37
rubbersidedown How do I safely turn off one drive on Winblows 10 ? Random Thoughts 13
rubbersidedown Manufacturing standards are in the toilet these days. Rubb is pissed off. General Bike Related Topics 8
B Busa cut off at 100+mph Busa problems 16
B Starting Problems and strange clicking sound when bike is shut off. Busa problems 4
rubbersidedown A short course on HOW TO SHOW OFF YOUR HAYABUSA 101. Random Thoughts 20
c10 Genuine Suzuki tail bag and block off plates Parts and Modifications 8
chrisjp GEN II DETAILED SMOG PUMP REMOVAL AND BLOCK OFF Maintenance and Do-It-Yourself 25
c10 I'm off for a short Prison stay . Off Topic 48
C 05 busa cuts off and throws c32 - c35 codes New Owners Forum 3