The Ego and the Chicken strip

Tached1300

Registered
How accurate is looking at one’s chicken strip as an indicator of their ability or pace?

Scenario

Same bike for both riders, same corner, same line, same mph taking the corner with the only variable being different is the riders weight.

Rider A is 150lbs

Rider B is 300lbs

Given the above variables, Rider B will not have to lean the bike over as much as Rider A because of their added weight helping the center of gravity inside of the curve. Anyone see it differently?

If that’s true then looking at the tires of each riders bike would show rider A having less of a strip correct?

As a street rider, I like to focus on line selection and leaving that margin of error and lean only to the extent needed to navigate the turn. For me it’s about being efficient (ok, ok I’m lazy) so I don’t feel the need to exaggerate my position or lean excessively just to do so, I want the bike back upright and back on the gas.

I think it is a mistake for newer riders to solely focus on chicken strips or leaning excessively or taking poor lines causing more lean than needed for a given situation or holding it over longer than necessary etc. At places like the Dragon or Mullohand where guys are taking photos and video you have the guys who just want to show off. Most of those riders could have navigated that corner at the same speed at less of an angle but of course knew the camera was rolling and let ego take over. The problem is then they don’t have the bike going fast enough to be stable and of course you increase the need for all other inputs to be dead on. Majority of them would be faster and safer if not worrying about getting the knee down for the camera.

Safe riding, just trying to promote discussion that may help others understand from our collective comments and experiences. I’m no expert but love hearing the perspectives and thoughts of others. Don’t let that guy with deceptive chicken strips or that seasoned adventure rider suck you into the wrong curve.

Already been beat to death...

Already been beat to death...

As long as we have motorcyclist taking themselves out in single vehicle accidents etc it hadn’t been beat enough, if a single person gains something that is possibly one life or severe injury spared. Not to mention the crooked insurance companies who justify charging us all for the actions of the stupid or the overall view and public opinion of sport bike riders for instance.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

Sounds like someone made fun of your chicken strips.
I’d say scenario 1 was wrong. A rider with an extra 150# on board is gonna have to lean just as much to get the extra weight to change direction, if the tires can take it.
In scenario 2 are you suggesting riders are going slower by leaning more and hanging off more to show off? Doesn’t work that way or they’d run off the inside of the curve.

Guy Martin says the only reason he uses knee pucks is because the sponsors pay for them. He says he never needs to drag a knee. I am a heavy guy and I would have to be hitting 150 mph to need to drag a knee in a turn. When I was learning to do it, I was always scratching my head because I was making the turn easy and the guy I was following had his knee on the ground. I almost hit him he was going so much slower than I was. Then I realized they were reaching out for the ground, not going faster.

Sounds like someone made fun of your chicken strips.
I’d say scenario 1 was wrong. A rider with an extra 150# on board is gonna have to lean just as much to get the extra weight to change direction, if the tires can take it.
In scenario 2 are you suggesting riders are going slower by leaning more and hanging off more to show off? Doesn’t work that way or they’d run off the inside of the curve.
Thanks for your response, this thread has nothing to do with me personally. No one has ever made fun of my chicken strips lol.

In scenario 2 they are hanging off more for the photo shot but their speed isn’t matching the lean angle being applied so like you said if they chop the throttle the bike is gonna fall inside but in these cases they are low siding as a result

Guy Martin says the only reason he uses knee pucks is because the sponsors pay for them. He says he never needs to drag a knee. I am a heavy guy and I would have to be hitting 150 mph to need to drag a knee in a turn. When I was learning to do it, I was always scratching my head because I was making the turn easy and the guy I was following had his knee on the ground. I almost hit him he was going so much slower than I was. Then I realized they were reaching out for the ground, not going faster.
That’s my point I’ve seen it plenty of times, a guy on sport bike dragging knee in every turn but holding up or slowing down the guys behind him on their Klr or GS who’s riding completely upright

That’s my point I’ve seen it plenty of times, a guy on sport bike dragging knee in every turn but holding up or slowing down the guys behind him on their Klr or GS who’s riding completely upright

Rider skill is the deciding factor, there are times when your weight must be shifted to the inside of the turn but those times are at ultra speeds not normally seen on streets.

Rider skill is the deciding factor, there are times when your weight must be shifted to the inside of the turn but those times are at ultra speeds not normally seen on streets.

It’s always Rider skill,

Rider skill is certainly the deciding factor, my example you quoted was not about the bikes but the riders Mr Sportbike is dragging knee but not as skilled as those behind him so it seems we are both saying the same thing, Rider skill trumps...

Back