The dreaded Tyre Thread. re Dunlops

Johnnie Phatt

Registered
HI all Once again I seek the knowledge of the collective
I am going to install new tyres this spring I am sure the factory rubber is fine but I am sure there is better
So todays question is about Dunlops
I ride (and rarely) at a maximum of 100mph usually less
reasonably straight roads a lot of the time unless I have time to travel to the twisties
I do not leave in the rain but I keep riding if it rains
I would like to be confident that my bike will lean as far as it is designed to go even though I may never get it there
I absolutely do not race Straight line or road race on public roads
So If the only choices were Dunlop Q3+ or Q4
I am thinking the Q3+ would be the best choice but I could well be wrong
your thoughts
JP

Either way they just started their $40 mail in rebate so get a set soon. I have q3+ but haven't riden them in the rain.

HI all Once again I seek the knowledge of the collective
I am going to install new tyres this spring I am sure the factory rubber is fine but I am sure there is better
So todays question is about Dunlops
I ride (and rarely) at a maximum of 100mph usually less
reasonably straight roads a lot of the time unless I have time to travel to the twisties
I do not leave in the rain but I keep riding if it rains
I would like to be confident that my bike will lean as far as it is designed to go even though I may never get it there
I absolutely do not race Straight line or road race on public roads
So If the only choices were Dunlop Q3+ or Q4
I am thinking the Q3+ would be the best choice but I could well be wrong
your thoughts
JP
Id choose Michelin Road 5 going by what you say about your type of riding - i know u asking Dunlops....my thoughts are those lovely Q3s would wear the middle out in no time where the 5s will just keep going and if you do come into rain no big deal they laugh at that....with twisties they hang on just fine. I'll post a pic up of mine at 7500kms.

Rear then front

20190305_121651.jpg

20190305_121724.jpg

I've ridden Q3's and they're as good(if not better)as Q2's.
I have no experience with Q4's.
I'de have to agree with @Cantab
A sport touring tire would better suit your riding style. Q series are twisty tires, and their center is as soft and sticky as the sides...they don't last long...but handle awesome!
If you want Dunlop brand, go with their Roadsmart sport touring tires instead. Or better yet, a Q3 front and Roadsmart rear.

Never ever under invest in rubber. The PR4 / PR5 tires are a great sport touring tire. The Q3 + is more of a performance oriented tire with some amount of track performance. The Q4 is a track tire with some amount of street performance. It's the closest thing to a straight up track slick I've ever ridden. It looks like I'll get to sample it on the track in the wet this weekend. Little Tally with STT looks to be quite wet this coming weekend. I'll follow up on wet weather performance on the Q4 for track duty next week!

$263 for a set of front and rear Q3+ after MIR you cant beat that.

Other question, how many miles a year do you ride? If not many then tire lift doesnt matter as you prob should replace every 2 years so they dont dry rot or cause other issues from sitting.

of late I ride about 6,000 miles a year. But now I am retired I am hoping to improve on that. Then again there may be a ride from Ontario to British Columbia in the works this summer. that would be about 7,000 Round trip.with at lest 4,000 of it being through the dead flat all straight praries Perhaps the stock tyres out and a set of PR 5's sport tyres while I'm there and to get home :)

of late I ride about 6,000 miles a year. But now I am retired I am hoping to improve on that. Then again there may be a ride from Ontario to British Columbia in the works this summer. that would be about 7,000 Round trip.with at lest 4,000 of it being through the dead flat all straight praries Perhaps the stock tyres out and a set of PR 5's sport tyres while I'm there and to get home :)
Miles or Kilometers?:fire:

If your riding that much look elsewhere than q3s or q4. You'll maybe get half your riding out of a rear.

You can forget Dunlop for milage. Personally they would have to be given to me & I might run them on a track; they have let me down before and wear fast. Had some that would try to conform to the oddities of the road & mimicked the old tires prior to wear in & acted funny.

For what it's worth, I ran Q3s on both of my previous bikes, (a 600, and a 998) both of which were lighter and less torquey, and was completely satisfied with the sticky Ds. But the Hayabusa is a different animal. As such, I am strongly leaning towards the PR5s in about a thousand SoCal miles. My riding habit closely matches the OPs: 85% commuting, 15% weekend warrior.

Back