The death of the 'Busa???

RadioRider

Registered
So I was very excited to recieve my 2 new magazine subsciptions in the mail yesterday - MotorCyclist and Sport Rider.

Sport Rider had an excellent article on a couple turbo drag 'Busas with way over 200HP.

But I was shocked to see a caption in MotorCyclist.  They had their 2003 line-up - featuring just about every motorcycle that's avaiable in the U.S.

I quickly flipped pages to find the listing on my beloved 'Busa, and what I found was both good and bad.

It said something to the effect of -

"When was the last time the Hayabusa was seriously challenged for the top GT honors?  None.  With the speed wars mute, Suzuki is happy to let the 'Busa live out a quiet life.  Still blindingly fast."

This does confirm to me that even with a new ZX-12 Kawi on the market that the 'Busa is still the overall top dawg in the States.  But, "speed wars mute" and "live out a quiet life" says to me that either a lack of interest and/or competition in this type of bike may be the end of it.  Will Suzuki kill the king?  It certainly doesn't directly say that - but it does say at best, that they probably will not make any signifigant changes or a new Model any time soon.

Good for re-sale value....probably.

Bad for guys like me who are always looking to blow obscene amounts of money to have the latest greatest toys....Yes.

Maybe the petition that I signed for the B-king concept to be produced was a good idea.

I don't think that this is the death of the Busa. It's just that the other manufacturers realize that the Busa is king so they are just going to let it live out it's life on the throne uncontested. It's good to be the King.

no I think the wording is wrong. I think they mean living out its life without any dramatic changes. As you can see, with the gsxr600/750/1000, they are constantly changing the bike every year to squeeze every bit of performance out of it. The hayabusa has remained pretty much unchanged since it first came out.

The hayabusa has such a cult following its incredible, it's the most recognized bike on the planet. From personal experience, I park my busa with a pack of 100 sportbikes, and my bike gets tons of looks, stares, and attention. Not just from other sportbike owners, but from joe public also.

The fact that is was the first bike to hit 200, plus it's amazingly unique and wicked looks makes this bike one that suzuki doesnt want to get rid of.

To be perfectly honest, I wish Kawasaki would step it up and beat the busa one year. This way, suzuki can start trimming some weight and adding more power to the busa, instead of the standard 500 pound 160hp same old bike very year. We all know these bikes are running WAY under their potential, and because it's never been challenged, it's never been improved.

Mike

Good insight, and good points.

I believe the ZX12 is competition for the busa, however. It is the next best thing on the market in comparison. But then I am also wrong in believing that, if in fact the laws of competition still hold true. Meaning, if the 12 IS competition then Suzuki would have made some modifications to the busa. Only time will tell. I have heard on more than one occasion that our favorite ride is on its last production year. I hope not.

When the Hayabusa came out, it was way ahead of its time. Now others are catching up. What is next?

Good points for sure -

I would love see an update in the next couple of years though.

I would like Suzuki to develop a passion for making the 'Busa ever-better as years go by to match their apparent enthusiasm for the GSX1000.  Every time the R1 seems to challenge - Suzuki stomps it's A$$ with a new or updated version of the liter bike.

The 'Busa used to make all other bikes pale in comparison.  Now the new ZX-12 is nipping at it's heels.  And while Kawi is always trying to better their bikes (have you seen the new ZX-6RR??...bad ass! )  Suzuki seems content to let the 'Busa just sit there while they decide what colors it should come in for the next year.

We will never see any more speed being built into a factory cycle (top end speed).  We were lucky enough to live in a special time when we had the top speed wars.  The wars were called off because of the threat of legislation in some countrys.  Some of the people in power that feel its their job to protect us from our selves made the threats to pass law that the Busa and other bikes like the ZX12 could not be sold.  As most of you know to keep this from coming to pass that is why the Busa now has the top end limited to 185mph.  If I recall the speed limit on the Busa is due per agreement to go down one more time to like 155mph in the next few years.  Don't ya just love people that protect us from our selves?  This is why the B King was being looked at..  Its now time for them to build a bike in an area that is still open... the 1/4 mile...  Time to build a cycle that will rip the fur off the dog in a measured distance...  Look for a new type of speed war in the very near future started with bikes like the B King....:38:

I am just glad I got an 02' When I did. An SE at that. I tired of loosing money on bikes. I will keep this one and add more to the stable as time goes by.

We will never see any more speed being built into a factory cycle (top end speed).  We were lucky enough to live in a special time when we had the top speed wars.  The wars were called off because of the threat of legislation in some countrys.  Some of the people in power that feel its their job to protect us from our selves made the threats to pass law that the Busa and other bikes like the ZX12 could not be sold.  As most of you know to keep this from coming to pass that is why the Busa now has the top end limited to 185mph.  If I recall the speed limit on the Busa is due per agreement to go down one more time to like 155mph in the next few years.  Don't ya just love people that protect us from our selves?  This is why the B King was being looked at..  Its now time for them to build a bike in an area that is still open... the 1/4 mile...  Time to build a cycle that will rip the fur off the dog in a measured distance...  Look for a new type of speed war in the very near future started with bikes like the B King....:38:
I agree with Max...If you've got a Busa you will probably want to keep it...They do plan on restricting the bikes more and more each year...Down to 155mph...Could you imagine going out in a couple of years to buy a brand new bike that only goes 155mph...Sucks yeah but that's politics...Probably sponsored by a lobbyist for Hardley Davidson...
smile.gif

I know this is a bit selfish...But I kind of wish they would stop making the Busa...Because those of us that own one would be in an interesting position...Think of it owning the fastest production bike ever made...And all other bikes at some point being restricted to 155mph...We would out run everything in third gear...
muscle.gif

bah, they're not going to restrict bikes down to 155mph. And even if they do, just like the busa, their is going to be some gadget to plug in that will take off the speed limiter. Its not like they are going to quit building 140hp+ bikes. We are buying race replicas, (not the busa of course), but these bikes are built with the ultimate in performance in mind. Most of these bikes can be track ready with minimum amount of preperation, simply swap the tires to race rubber and you're done!

If you wanted an equivelent with cars, we are buying a nascar/f1 with street tires. Top speed will always been a factor, and even if they limit top speed, people will compare horsepower/torque/wind resistence/weight to see what the "potential" top speed is, lol

Mike

mikeyusf your right but like I said it will not be made by the factory and sold like the 1999 and 2000 Busa .... it will be the guy at home that will have to change the bike... Just like the 2001 and later you want the limit off you do it your self... The factory has no reason to work to make the Busa any faster... To live up to what they said they would do the limiters will be going on..

Here's a question; how do you disable or eliminate the 185 speed limiter on my 02'? Not that I would go that fast - but I'm curious and love bragging rights. And, was 99' the only model that broke 200MPH?

and yes they are going to drop to 155mph... I have it in print... the same print that told of the drop from the 220 mph speedometer to the 185 with a top limit of 185... time will tell..... But one thing is for sure... the guys in here will know how to take the limit off... they do now with the 2001 and newer models

OK, I'm a fairly new Busa' owner and a little wet behind the ears - What is a TRE? And is the 220MPH Speedo available to buy?

hey,i love my busa too
but if honda turns that 200hp v5 loose on the street at weights comparable to gsxr's,i may have to buy a second bike

Back