The complete Superbyke

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
Last season, I thought I had finished the Superbyke project, it looked great, rode and handled great.....then I met a guy that knows a LOT about Busas, Scott (Isiahstites). Besides becoming good friends, he helped me realize that the Superbyke needed a few things to be "really complete". It needed to be a lot BLACKER and if it truly was to be a "One Off" Hayabusa, 140 additional horsepower would leave no doubt!

So today I got a phone call from Scott who stated "it's done".....he posted the below pic for me on facebook, after professional level tuning in a couple of weeks, stand by for a lot of posting impressions about the riding and performance experiences! I so look forward not only feeling this things abilities, but sharing that stuff with my org bros and sisters.

The first 1-3 weeks I'll leave the swingarm stretched until I get used to the power application, then it gets shortened up and taken to the mountains...there is no need to caution me about "lag" and "too much power in the corners", etc. I will be very cautious with this steep learning curve!
Doyle

the complete Superbyke.jpg

Sneaky Lil devil ain't cha!

Thing looks mean.....grrrrrrr....snarl......Dark Angel she is.....muhahahaha

Yes, too much power. Be careful. This thing can't corner. The turbo lag gets you everywhere, especially in the corners....:poke:

On the second thought... get membership at the tire place and buy tires in sets - 5 rears and one front, do 1/5 throttle mod, go back to stock swingarm, and don't let the boost drop below 15 pounds (guessing that's what you max is). Come to think of it, why do you need the front tire at all? Oh, you gotta park the bike at some point... :laugh:

On a serious note, have fun and be safe! Besides your overall impressions, I'd be curious to know your thoughts on engine braking, and the actual boost you observe during acceleration, and right after you close the throttle. :beerchug:

Yes, too much power. Be careful. This thing can't corner. The turbo lag gets you everywhere, especially in the corners....:poke:

On the second thought... get membership at the tire place and buy tires in sets - 5 rears and one front, do 1/5 throttle mod, go back to stock swingarm, and don't let the boost drop below 15 pounds (guessing that's what you max is). Come to think of it, why do you need the front tire at all? Oh, you gotta park the bike at some point... :laugh:

On a serious note, have fun and be safe! Besides your overall impressions, I'd be curious to know your thoughts on engine braking, and the actual boost you observe during acceleration, and right after you close the throttle. :beerchug:

OK, that's funny!....on the other part, stand by for info re: braking, boost characteristics, etc. in a couple of weeks after it gets dialed in on the dyno by a turbo expert (Scott Horner from Salt Lake City).

you ain't going roadracing with a turbo busa are you?

Watching a Busa slide or go end over end of course is bad enough but watching it slide, grind and break off turbo parts is to much.. can I recommend some LSR sir :laugh:

A big thanks has to go out to Scott Horner of Heads UP Performance out of Salt Lake. He has been so valuable on getting this thing done, whether it be trick parts he has made for me, extending cables and making them look better than factory or (my favorite) taking the Power Commander 5 and and directly wiring in a 3 bar map sensor so the PCV can make fuel changes based on boost not just TPS. That is cool and will ensure this turbo bike is very rideable very streetable and the tune will always be spot on.

Once I get a few other tiny things done I will post up some detailed pictures of some of the work Doyle and I did on the beast.

So many parts have been powdercoated, so many have been massaged, so many have been polished and anodized.

In all reality this bike has been tore down from front to back at one time or other in the last 6 months, almost a complete rebuild.

Scott

you ain't going roadracing with a turbo busa are you?

Watching a Busa slide or go end over end of course is bad enough but watching it slide, grind and break off turbo parts is to much.. can I recommend some LSR sir :laugh:

If I had a Boss Hoss with 500 cubic inches, I'd still go to the mountains, I love the mountains, I need the mountains, they beckon me. I will not go road racing with this motorcycle BUT I will ride the twisties and flow around the track like a bird in flight (sh##bird). Seriously, I'll go once, but as usual, will build in a big safety margin at all times. Ya don't have to carve like Rossi to enjoy the freedom a track offers! I will boost it up on the long straight, however!

Hi Lamb! I hope all is good with you over there on the "coastline"!

I'm thinking you are taking it to track days but not racing do I have that right. I'm tryiing to set my bike up for roadracing and turbo but I'm I hearing the the turbo lag is going to make that not possible?

I'm thinking you are taking it to track days but not racing do I have that right. I'm tryiing to set my bike up for roadracing and turbo but I'm I hearing the the turbo lag is going to make that not possible?

Correct, turbos on motorcycles and road racing do not mix. Even the most skilled rider is challenged with the instant horsepower/torque gains as a turbocharger increases boost pressure. If you graphed it, it's almost straight up to horsepower heaven! Motorcycles, even the best handling racebikes, require volumes of skill and sensitivity, especially when down off the bike in corners....a place where throttle modulation becomes surgical. The turbo behavior is the antithesis of that requirement. Now, if you're talking dragracing or LSR (top speed) performance....that's the turbo's home! I hope I answered your questions and I respect you for asking, humility is a strength to be admired. Doyle

Track bike...streetfighter...and back in the dirt. It does not get any sweeter than that. :bowdown:

Nicely done Doyle. :thumbsup:

Rubb.

Thank you very much Doyle. I will go back to my origingal idea of an all motor Busa. Thanks for saving me thousands of dollars and tons of disappointment.

Back