The 'Busa vs...a KTM 950 Adventure?

mcoyote

Registered
Took my first off-road (well, dirt-road) ride on the KTM today up the Rampart Range Road. I know jack about riding off-pavement, but I had a great time, went way faster than I thought I could at first, and had no mishaps, even though there were a few SUVs, Jeeps, and other bikes in the way. Went all the way to Woodland Park from CO Springs, 30+mi and over the mountains, with a lot of altitude changes, switchbacks, etc.

Followed US24 back to CO Springs and was impressed by how powerful and well-planted a highway bike this is for something so tall, though I can see why a number of folks get steering stabilizers for it what with the wide bars and all. On pavement it's a little deceptive because my head is so much higher than on the 'Busa any lean seems much more dramatic. Still, this bike handled really well for me on twisty roads once I got into it.

The seat is absolutely horrible. For a few miles on the highway I slid back to the pillion and bent over (as if I was on the 'Busa) to get pressure off my nether bits. This sit-up-and-beg thing is going to take some getting used to. Fortunately, I have a new seat under construction. Otherwise, the ergonomics are nominal for my height, and the little windscreen works but doesn't create too much suction.

Dirt observations/questions:

- Gotta keep the gas coming. As long as the engine and wheel are doing something the bike planes on the sand/dirt/gravel/whatever and keeps stable. I learned this on street bikes with exposure to road hazards, but it's very obvious here.

- That first gear all business. Just like the 'Busa, the KTM generates a lot of torque down low and will break the rear loose without much coaxing in first gear. I think I did all but about 20ft of the RRR in second gear (mostly) or above.

- You can go 80mph on dirt. Didn't know that.

- That front brake is useful for about the last 5mph of speed, the rear is a little better, and engine braking (which the KTM has lots of) is the ticket for the rest of the way. I think. I mean, I'm not really sure how to brake on dirt, just that it can't be done very agressively.

- What do you dirt riders do in turns? I'm mystified. I tried to take street lines through switchbacks and stuff, but I didn't want to go too far inside because I couldn't see all the way through and the rear kept wanting to wash out.

When I felt the rear going, however, I just kept on the gas, counter-steered, and tried not to lean too much and it fell back in line eventually. Any pointers?

Other items:

- The 950 runs pretty hot. It's about 90degF (no humidity) here today and the bike's temp gauge went to 5 of 7 bars in about 5 minutes out from my house and stayed there until I hit the highway coming back and made it up to 70mph. Then it dropped to 4 bars.

I'll look up what exact temperatures those represent, but it's up there. With this in mind, I will never ever skimp on oil quality or fuel octane -- higher octane ought to bring it down a little bit and rule out preignition/detonation. It's probably also set way too lean, being a CA bike.

- The parts that are built for the street (e.g., lighting, front brakes, fairing) work really well on the street, the parts that are built for the dirt (e.g., suspension, wheels) work really well in the dirt, and the bits that are for both (e.g., tires, the almighty LC8 engine) work really well on both.

- The 'Busa still has my vote as long distance tourer (especially two-up), with the exception of its fuel range on anything except a slab. It can carry as much, I am used to the leaned-over seating position, and a passenger will probably be far more comfortable.

- Believe it or not, I'd say the 'Busa wins in traffic as well, especially fast traffic what with the street wheels and tires. I can flick the 'Busa between lanes, cars, etc. very easily at this point and get much more lean out of it when I need it with little trouble.

OTOH, I'm not taking the Hayabusa up Pike's Peak (though I had thought about it before).

sounds like a fun day...where are the pics?
cool.gif

- What do you dirt riders do in turns? I'm mystified. I tried to take street lines through switchbacks and stuff, but I didn't want to go too far inside because I couldn't see all the way through and the rear kept wanting to wash out.

When I felt the rear going, however, I just kept on the gas, counter-steered, and tried not to lean too much and it fell back in line eventually. Any pointers?

Other items:

- The 950 runs pretty hot. It's about 90degF (no humidity) here today and the bike's temp gauge went to 5 of 7 bars in about 5 minutes out from my house and stayed there until I hit the highway coming back and made it up to 70mph. Then it dropped to 4 bars.

I'll look up what exact temperatures those represent, but it's up there. With this in mind, I will never ever skimp on oil quality or fuel octane -- higher octane ought to bring it down a little bit and rule out preignition/detonation. It's probably also set way too lean, being a CA bike.

- The parts that are built for the street (e.g., lighting, front brakes, fairing) work really well on the street, the parts that are built for the dirt (e.g., suspension, wheels) work really well in the dirt, and the bits that are for both (e.g., tires, the almighty LC8 engine) work really well on both.
..on dirt, you KEEP on the gas when in turns - or you're down & out.. That simple..
smile.gif
Countersteering you also do with the busa - it just ain't so obvious. This is the only (o-n-l-y..) way to steer with a bike on speeds 20mph and above. Period.

The LC-8 runs hot. You can cool your nuts considerably with Acrapovic full system. It will run WAY cooler..

This bike is THE bike for off-road activities AND exceptional road behaviour. All the things it has on are premium quality AFTERMARKET that cost a fortune & a half to, say, tenere owners.. This is my next bike next year, after I sell my XTZ Tenere 660, that - along with my busa, which - I think more & more.. - I will grow old with..
smile.gif

smile.gif

I'm more of a purpose bulit kinda guy. I ride a CR500 in the dirt/sand.

What the wizard said is true, keep on the gas, you gotta modulate the wheel spin in the turns. If yer trying to go fast, the rear will be spinning all the time. Too much spin and it'll slide out from under you.

Try to pick your line on the outside. That big bike will be an outside line bike.

Oh and what type of dirt are you riding? If you are trying to turn on dirt roads and they are retalively flat, check out the flat trackers on the TV for countersteer examples. If you have the oppotunity to try out some berms, try ficking the bike sidewas so that both tires slam into the berm at the same time (with the bike leaning, very important to have the bike leaning!) You can hit those bewrms as hard as you want and you'll scrub off tons of speed if you have to.

Good luck!

...Countersteering you also do with the busa - it just ain't so obvious.   This is the only (o-n-l-y..) way to steer with a bike on speeds 20mph and above.  Period...
Oh, *that* part I have down -- I countersteer deliberately and often on the 'Busa (every time I turn, FTM). I was just kind of surprised that the same principle applied on dirt, or at least seemed to.

The idea of an aftermarket exhaust annoys me -- I do believe in sound emissions controls coming from that cesspit of summer smog and haze that is DC. I was able to live with the stocker on the 'Busa (after wrapping it) and I'll try the same thing here.

I can tell already that -- even at this altitude -- the carb'ed KTM 950 has all the power it will ever need for dirt riding below the break-in RPM. That having been said, a little richer mix and some cooler running will be a welcome thing.

Now, what will *really* piss me off is if they come out with a good EFI system for the '05's and I was just in too much of a hurry to wait for the show in September (where, incidentally, we will find out about our '05 'Busa...).

..I understand your concerns about the environment - and indeed, the acrapos are CANCELLING the catalysator (not the best thing..) but this is perhaps the only way to cooler runs.. (..or try ice-padded underwear..
smile.gif
.. )

EFI: not to worry-carbs are doing a fine job, AND easier to "tune" than the newly launched EFI. And, yes they WILL come up with a ne EFI model next year (better MPG, "smoother" behaviour in low RPM's but who cares? You didn't buy this bike to make "efficient touring" did you?.. )

In all, this is THE on-off of its class (forget about the BMW 1200, it just AIN'T cuttin'it.. ..I have not experience on my own, but having some from the 950 is enough.. ..it can do just about anything - and on the track, it took toooo many SS's underpants to list..
smile.gif
..mine NOT excluded..
sad.gif
)

smile.gif

Back