The \'Busa has landed! Newbie Questions

OB_2000BlueBusa

Registered
I just rode my new blue and silver 'busa home today. I need some advice!

First: Sticker Removal
Is the hair dryer approach the best? I tried this technique with my Katana 750 and had mixed results; one sticker came off great and the other was a freakin pain! What is the best way to get that post-sticker removal "goo" off the bike without scratching or ruining the paint?

Second: Waxing Bike
I was thinking about applying the Mother's California 3 process wax kit before putting some serious miles on it. Does anyone see any problem in doing this so soon?

Third: Tank Bra
I picked up a tank bra and was wondering if it ever leaves marks on the paint? If I wax the bike, should I give it a few days before putting the bra on the bike?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I removed all of my tank, frame, bodywork stickers with just my fingernail and some patience (wifey out of town with the hairdryer). The trick is to DO IT NOW. Don't let the things bake on through numerous heat cycles from the engine and sun.

Can't address the tank bra issue.

Barry is EXACTLY right! Just peel up the edge and using patience,SLOWLY pull the stickers off. The trick is to do it now while the bike is brand new. Suzuki was kind enough to not clear over the stickers like Honda and everyone else does. GENTLY wax your tank over and over to get any of the rubbery glue off where the sticker was. Of course use a clearcoat safe wax. I waxed mine 3 times before I ever left the dealership. Spent about three hours outside in the shade paying particular attention to the front and leading edges of the fairing. I waxed my windshield and any part that usally catches bugs. Yes you should wax it as much as possible NOW. No you shouldn't put your tank bra on yet. When you do be sure to remove it often and clean and wax underneath it. Clean the bra inside also. Anything abrasive that gets between a bra and the paint will scratch the surface. I dont use one for that reason. However if you like them or think they look nice dont let me sway your opinion, you just have to clean under them often. Id wait at least 2 weeks for you to have a chance to wax it often and let the wax get good and hard. The more you wax it now the less bugs and stuff will affect it later. And its easier to clean when it gets dirty. I bought mine May 6th and have only 176 miles on her. Ive probably waxed it a total of 7 times. Some may say thats overkill but I can assure you it really, really shines. Nothing seems to stick to it at all, like bugs and dust. Anyway good riding and good luck!

[This message has been edited by WARBIRD (edited 29 June 2000).]

Here's my advice;

Read manual---again---again---pay special attention to the Caution section on page 32. 1ST GEAR PUSH IT PERIOD. Read it again. Read it every time you think of getting onto your new baby.

Don't be sorry like some of us dummies, new guy. Welcome from dummy scratched up.

p.s. NumbNuts will have YOUR nuts if ya admit to it falling...

Oh yeah Mom's California Gold ROCKS. Bugs wipe off w/ a damp rag. If bad lil windex but re-wipe to get windex residue off.

WARBIRD,

You made the comment:
GENTLY wax your tank over and over to get any of the rubbery glue off where the sticker was.

Don't I want to have the rubbery glue off before I start waxing?

Waxing it is a safe and gentle way to remove the glue. I dont know how you were going to remove it, Im just saying dont rub on the tank trying to get the glue off when it hasnt been waxed yet. The chemicals in the wax loosened the glue on mine nicely, I didnt have to put any undue pressure on the the tank rubbing it. Rubbing it with no protection like wax can scratch that beautiful blue and silver paint.

WARBIRD,

Wow, what a difference taking the stickers off right away made! As you guys suggested, I slowly peeled the stickers back and it worked great! I am not sure whether to remove the two stickers on the right side which tell about EPA Standards and I forget what the other one said...

The Mother's California 3 part wax goes on tomorrow morning. Then the tank bra goes on!!!

Thanks again for your help. I can't believe how fast I get replys on this site. Its great.

stickers?
If you're talking about th right side sticker thats NOT a warning(thespec sheet stuff) I just re-stuck it onto the inside of the silly tool bag.
the rest went bye.

I removed all my stickers and put them on my garage wall. HA! There is one on the swingarm and a couple on the fairing inners by the handlebars and of course the one on the tank! Take em all off, you'll be glad you did. Over time they will fade and probably get damaged from chemicals, the sun ect... Mine is red/gray. I wanted a blue one but none were available. However now that I have mine detailed I like the red just as well. This weekend Ill install my Akrapovic with titanium canister,Johnnycheese block off plates, remove the pair system,install the PC2,change the oil and filter,install Mobil 1 MX4T, change the anti-freeze and adjust the chain. Also check air pressure and all torque specs for 600 mile service.[still only have 176 miles on her] Whew! Should be fun. Later. Oh,I forgot, Im waiting for my lazer chain adjuster from Lockhart,Ill let you know how it works. If your gonna go fast your chain and rear wheel has gotta be perfectly aligned!

3. get the shermworks side stand mod ! 2. at least when new and maybe more, let a detailer do a complete

1. GET THE MOTORHEAD AIR BOX MOD!!!!!

'lanta's right

If I ever hear of it falling off the sidestand....................... :)

Enjoy it.
Talk to it
Drink JD with it (ask 'lanta!!)
Polish it
Get to know it inside and out
When you think you know all about it, look again, or read these boards

Stay Safe

NumbNuts

A hell of a ride is right Horse! Where are you from? Gonna do any mods? I like the quiet with the stock pipe, hope I dont get too much noise with the new pipe! Ill let you guys know how the chain aligner works.

[This message has been edited by WARBIRD (edited 30 June 2000).]

I'm thinking of moving my stickers around, especially the ones on the rear. Has anyone tried this with success? If so, any pointers on how I should go about it. I definately plan to use a hair dryer to remove them. The re-applying them of course is the tricky part. Any idea how much the decals cost?

I got my stickers off no problem but the one on the tank left some residue it seems. Tried wiping it with WD40 and it just smeared it pretty good. Should I use some polishing compound to remove the rest of the residue? By the way, it looks 100% better without those worthless stickers saying wear your helmet, etc. None were EPA stickers that I saw.
Lee

GOOF OFF IS THE ULTIMATE FOR REMOVING STICKER
RESIDUE, CHAIN LUBE AND GREASE FROM AROUND ANYWHERE ON SWINGARM. THE PRODUCT HAS NOT CAUSED ANY DAMAGE TO THE PAINT BUT I USED A VERY SMALL AMOUNT WITH A QUICK DRY. MEGUIRES
WAX IS GREAT AND THE SPRAY, #34? WORKS WELL FOR QUICK WIPEDOWNS. PS GOOF OFF IS SOLD IN HARDWARE STORES IN A YELLOW AND RED CAN

LeeMi, I just kept on waxing the tank with meguiars cleaner/wax. Avalilable at any auto parts store. Just dont rub hard and it will come off in about 3 or 4 waxes. Took about 40 minutes to complete. Happy 4th of July!

WARBIRD,

First:
Sticker removal and waxing went fine. The tank bra went on fine too and I am going to remove it next weekend to put another coat of wax on the bike and to ensure that it is not leaving any marks.

Second:
I really cannot believe the power that this machine has. I am forced to respect it, as silly that may sound. I have 300 miles on it and am REALLY trying to baby it until the 600 mile checkup.

Third:
I wish that there were more riders in my area which had busas. I really don't see a lot of people on bikes but I probably am not going to the right places.

Overall, I LOVE IT!!!!

Back