The biggest lesson I learned on the org

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Don't mess with people!

I didn't understand until this very day in 2006 what the site meant to people of the org. I thought it would be funny to shut the site off and to post a message on a static page that the site was shutting down for good because of money. In 2006 we didn't have very many sponsors and heck we didn't need a lot back then. I didn't tell anyone what I was going to do either. Right before I hit the button I told my wife that no matter what happened I was leaving the site shut down for 12 hours, no matter who called or what people said I wasn't gonna turn the forum back on... She told me "You better not do it".

So I shut the site down and put up this message....

It is with a sad heart that I must announce that Hayabusa.oRg is shutting down. We have been able to make it six years but the ever rising cost of hardware and hosting has taken its toll. Our hosting service has increased our fees once again because of the high traffic that we use on this site and we can't continue to pay the fees even with the assistance of the members.

You guys have been good to me and my family and I hate for things to end this way but I can't let the site interfere with my personal finances. There has to be a limit and we have crossed it. I appreciate everything that you all have done.

We do have hosting paid until just after the 15th so the 5k raffle will continue as planned. Do not hesitate to email me if you have questions. Captain@hayabusa.org

For the sponsors that have prepaid I will be contacting you so that we can get any monies you have paid back to you. You will hear something from me this weekend.

The main site will be up and I will be posting updates on the raffle on the URL of Hayabusa.org. The 5k raffle as I stated will be conducted on the 15th of April and I will have all of the ticket holders listed on the main page. The message board will be offline from now on.

Doug King
aka Captain
Owner Hayabusa.org

About 10 seconds after I clicked the button the first calls started on the phone... About 20 seconds emails starting rolling in. Members here were scrambling all over to see what they could do... My voicemail was filling up quickly, the emails that were coming in were so unbelievably supportive and then someone sent me a link in an email to a new forum that someone set up to rescue Hayabusa.org.... It felt a little like the "Save Ferris" on the water tower scene....
I had no idea that people had devoted so much of their lives into the site, I had no idea that the friendships that were made here meant so much. I didn't know what an outlet this place was to so many hurting people.

So as the emails came in I was reading them, they were honest, sincere and I was starting to get a bad feeling pretty early on but I was determined to stick with the 12 hours. Cell phones were going off, my home phone, emails it was just overwhelming... About two hours into it and I was feeling really bad and thinking that it was still going to be a classic but that there were going to be some very upset people...

Amazingly I made it the full 12 hours and I turned the site back on after being radio silent the whole time. I posted in big red letters in that thread LINK HERE TO THREAD APRIL FOOLS

I knew there was going to be some backlash but oh my gosh.... Members went from "Save Ferris" to "Get a Rope" as soon as I turned the forum back on. People were selling lemonade and smashing open piggy banks to wrangle money up to send to me. When they found out that it was a joke it just went the other direction because they had put so much effort into something that turned out to be nothing.... One member called it an unnecessary emotional rollercoaster.

So my friends I look back now on this day and think to myself that for many people today is about April Fools day and jokes but I see it as a day I learned a lesson. Since that time I have never taken the site offline like that, there was a brief "time out" a few years ago when people couldn't get along but I have done my best to keep this place rolling with a whole new perspective.

To this day there are folks that refuse to come back because of the heartburn, if your one of those people and you are lurking... Get back involved...

There are life long friendships that have been made here, lots of laughs all over the country. I have been honored to meet literally thousands of you all and I do not take this place for granted anymore...

With all that said though... Looking back 5 years..... It was a classic prank!

Thanks for letting me hang out here and know that I appreciate you all.....

Captain

Last edited:
Classic prank...I called Andy when it happened. I was online, I left the site for a couple of minutes...when I came back...poof gone...what happened ???

Took me a few seconds to realise that it was midnight in OK...had a great laugh about the whole thing.

Too bad so many got so upset over it...I think most people got over it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cap thanks for all you put yourself thru for us.
I'm sure it's nervewracking.

Thank you for all you do and for the site!!

Folks you should thank the mods and admins.... Those people put in more hours than you can imagine.. It's a thankless job and for every situation you can think of we have discussions behind the scenes on how to deal with it. Lot's of time goes into planning how we moderate and what we will and won't tolerate. What is next for the site, the temperment of the forum each day, problems that come up that you never ever know about.....

Omar has spent countless hours working on code and scripting.
Jim basically does all the help tickets single handedly every day.

The other folks spend countless hours reading PM's and trying to keep the peace... Honestly I stay out of most of the decision making in regards to how to deal with issues on the forum... I am called as a last resort on the ones that could affect the business as a whole... I owe it all to a group of people that stick around and do this Org thing for free......

cap

I had just come back from a business trip Friday night 3/31 so I slept to the crack of noon on 4/1 and missed the entire thing. I was wondering what all the grumpy posts were about until I saw the April Foolks thread.

Doug,
I was there and I remember as does my wife. Thanks for all you do for this community. Kimberly still maintains she owes you a kick in the seat of your pants for that day.

Don

Glad ya didn't do it again, stick with puttin salt in the sugar bowl for the morning coffee prank... :thumbsup:

Here's to the Org, it means a lot to a lot of folks, myself included.
Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

:poke:its classic! it comes up every year:rofl: i wasn't here when it happened, but im sure i woulda freaked out.:rofl: i 1/2 live here anymore.:laugh:

thanks again :beerchug:

I wasn't here then but I have to agree with Cap it sounds like one for the books definitely funny and for the ones that were here I understand you getting upset because I would definitely be sad if I ever seen that message

Friendships mean alot. I cant count the friends I have made on this forum. :cheerleader:

i joined the next month and it was still a common topic of conversation, there were definitely some upset people :laugh:

Back