The Big Bang Theory! Buds Busa Go Boom

Haya01B

Registered
I have a buddy that has a nice 03' busa and he has nitrous on it more for show than anything and he told me he accidently hit the nitrous button while the bike was in the garage. He said it sounded like a shotgun went off in the garage and then smoke started coming out of the exhaust pipe. I went over to check it out and it runs really ruff. It's sounds like it is not running on all cylinders or something and it sometimes backfires. I installed some new plugs and same result then I disconnected the power commander and it ran even worse than when it ran good and I would remove the PC. I checked the diagnostic code and it reads a constant C-13 IAP sensor problem(Green Sensor on airbox on left side). I have a spare one that I will install prob. tomorrow. Would that make the bike run like crap if it went bad or was damaged? I would also like to hear from anyone who has had similar event happen and what actions they took. I don't even like dealing with the BOY (nitrous) but always lends a helping hand to a fellow rider. Thanks in advance for replies!

Hey Haya,
What happened (I assume this is a dry system) is that the engine leaned WAY out and detonated, resulting in the big bang....which you prob already figured out. The first thing you need to do before replacing anymore external parts is to run a compression check on all cylinders. Several things could have happened:
1.) the resulting detonation could have punched a hole in one or more pistons.

2.) The head gasket could be blown.

3.) you could have bent a valve/some valves.

Does the engine blow large amounts of smoke while running now? I have seen this before on a fuel injected engine....the engine would run while pumping out white smoke (oil) out the exhaust like a freight train. After running a compression check, found one of the cylinders was dead, and the piston had a hole in it the size of a dime. The other problem with this scenario is if you run the engine you risk losing the crank and other reciprocating parts due to the fact that you have large peices of metal floating around in the crankcase now....peices that could be too large to fit through the filter inlet, maybe even clogging the filter and starving the engine of oil. You could also use a borescope to evaluate the piston/cylinder condition, but you most likely will not be able to identify any problems with the valvetrain, or the head gasket if that is the problem. You could also have a combination of two or all three of these problems.

I ran NOS on a 68 camaro I had years ago, it was a wet system, so detonation was not as big a probability....it was all mechanical with flare jets, instead of using the efi to inject the extra fuel and use the ecu to retard timing. What prob caused the detonation is the fact that the bike was at idle I assume, without the proper amount of WOT throttle fuel, and the proportional amount of timing retard.

hope this helps.

If set up properly it should have a WOT switch installed so this sort of stuff doesn't happen. Also should be rpm activated as well. Sorry about the motor. I am sure it is a burnt valve.

Back