The Best Touring Windscreen & Riser Combo

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
Okay gents...steer me true...

1. Risers: Genmars Or Heli-Bars???

2. Touring Windscreen: Zero Gravity or.....who???

This obviously isn't gonna be my track day bike and ya know what I'm looking to accomplish here so....what's the hot ticket on risers and windscreen combo's for ST'ing the Busa???

T.I.A. Bill.:D

I dont' get it.. I jsut don't get it..

whats with all yall spending money on something that they spend oodles of cash and time in a windtunnel and two weeks after ya get it you smack the aerodynamics in the face ?

no offense.. I just stay confused 'bout this.

I dont' have one, but I like the looks fo the Puig double bubble screens.

smoked, with black around the bottom edge.

Since I set my bike up for this right off, and recently spent 4000 miles testing the combination, I have to recommend the Genmar 3/4" and ZeroG DB windscreen. For me (5'11") the risers takes off just enough of the back and wrist pressure to make it a very relaxed ride at under 90mph (at which point I usually tuck.) And you don't have to worry about cable rerouting or windscreen clearence issues.

And the ZG screen - well it makes the airstream hit your upper torso when not tucked, and you are completely below the stream otherwise. My only issues were a sore upper back after especially long days (500 miles.) Get a wand massager and even that isn't an issue.

Actually, it has less to do with the aeros and more to do with being able to see the instruments at all. I can't stand having to look THROUGH the stock windshield just to read the clock or my fuel guage

I dont' get it.. I jsut don't get it..

whats with all yall spending money on something that they spend oodles of cash and time in a windtunnel and two weeks after ya get it you smack the aerodynamics in the face ?

no offense.. I just stay confused 'bout this.

I dont' have one, but I like the looks fo the Puig double bubble screens.

smoked, with black around the bottom edge.
And your bike is completely stock right?
poke.gif

yeah basically.. stock screen, stock clipons.

only thing I changed was the exhaust, pegs, and uhh.. the paint.

busa_06.jpg

poke me wif a stick will ya.. hehe.

I ain't beetchin at nobody ya see.. just don't understand it.

I was just pokin for fun.
smile.gif
I've seen your bike B-for, Although I didn't relize the paint wasn't stock..
laugh.gif

poke me wif a stick will ya.. hehe.

I ain't beetchin at nobody ya see.. just don't understand it.
Depends on what people are riding for, not to mention comfort levels.

At 6'6". the idea of raising the bars an inch is quite happy news to my back.

Planning on doing more 3-400 mile days than I am just short trips (when not simply commuting), and as such, I want to get as much wind protection as possible. The slight difference to the Aerodynamics (which are still quite slick mind you) aren't enough to change my desire to adjust things.

I rode mine stock for a while, I couldn't stand the riding position to the point that I thought about selling it. I bought Genmar 1 1/4" risers, a Zero gravity double bubble, lowered the rear 1", and installed ProTek foot pegs, and a Tobin seat, and now its ok. I ride a lot. I'am 5' 10". If I only rode it short trips, I could have probably lived with the stock riding posistion. I still doubt it though.

Can't say for sure, but I'll bet they did not use someone over 6' to to the windtunnel tests!
biggrin.gif

i like the double bubble took some of the wind off me and i could see the guages better as far as risers i used reapers risers was cheaper than genmar or helibars but that is just me
cool.gif

Bill, you can just put spacers under the OEM bar mount on top of the tripple tree. CNC some aluminum spacers, 4 of them(washers will work if you have enough)and 4 longer bolts.. Raise it as far as the OEM cables will let ya, I went with the ZG Sport touring windshield and Buell footpegs,also...

pure_ego...lemme see if I can help ya understand.

2 decades ago I may have felt just like you (no inference to your age or physical shape as I have no idea who or how old you are) but...I'm a former U.S. Marine who used to lift a lot of weights and did a lot of fitness training and am now an out of shape father of three daughters who's going on 47 years old. Now, If I had tbne mindset that everywhere I went on y Busa that I was gonna tuck and run WFO???....or if I'm not doing at least 180mph I might as well take the wifes mini-van???
laugh.gif
Then yes....screwing with the bikes aerodynamics may be a concern for me but at this stage of the game???....I'll sacrifice the couple extra top-end mph's for a lot more comfort everywhere else...but that's just me.

I've been riding since I was 14 and spent my last 5 years on Naked Supersports...an '00 ZRX1100 and a Yami FZ1....either bike I'd ride anywhere and all over all day long and then some with no problems...he11...I bought the FZ1 back in '01 over the internet....flew out of Palm Beach International one way to Newark..got off the plane wearing my alpinestars with packed tourmaster saddlebags in one hand an a HJC helmet in the other!!!
laugh.gif
Bought tyhe FZ1 and then rode it 1,275 miles from Piscataway, NJ back home too Port Saint Lucie, FL in two days.

Point is...I ain't out to break any land speed records or brag down at the local burger joint on bike nights....but I do "Ride"...with a wife and three daughters sometimes I ride all freaking weekend!!! And again..that's just me.
laugh.gif

Sounds like the ZG Touring is the way to go and maybe some homebrew risers.

Thanks Folks & L8R, Bill.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

2 decades ago I may have felt just like you (no inference to your age or physical shape as I have no idea who or how old you are) but...I'm a former U.S. Marine who used to lift a lot of weights and did a lot of fitness training and am now an out of shape father of three daughters who's going on 47 years old. Now, If I had tbne mindset that everywhere I went on y Busa that I was gonna tuck and run WFO???....or if I'm not doing at least 180mph I might as well take the wifes mini-van???
laugh.gif
Then yes....screwing with the bikes aerodynamics may be a concern for me but at this stage of the game???....I'll sacrifice the couple extra top-end mph's for a lot more comfort everywhere else...but that's just me.

I've been riding since I was 14  and spent my last 5 years on Naked Supersports...an '00 ZRX1100 and a Yami FZ1....either bike I'd ride anywhere and all over all day long and then some with no problems...he11...I bought the FZ1 back in '01 over the internet....flew out of Palm Beach International one way to Newark..got off the plane wearing my alpinestars with packed tourmaster saddlebags in one hand an a HJC helmet in the other!!!  
laugh.gif
Bought tyhe FZ1 and then rode it 1,275 miles from Piscataway, NJ back home too Port Saint Lucie, FL in two days.

Point is...I ain't out to break any land speed records or brag down at the local burger joint on bike nights....but I do "Ride"...with a wife and three daughters sometimes I ride all freaking weekend!!!  And again..that's just me.  
laugh.gif

Well said !!!!!

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I've been riding since I was 14  and spent my last 5 years on Naked Supersports...an '00 ZRX1100 and a Yami FZ1....either bike I'd ride anywhere and all over all day long and then some with no problems...he11...I bought the FZ1 back in '01 over the internet....flew out of Palm Beach International one way to Newark..got off the plane wearing my alpinestars with packed tourmaster saddlebags in one hand an a HJC helmet in the other!!!  
laugh.gif

Point is...I ain't out to break any land speed records or brag down at the local burger joint on bike nights....but I do "Ride"...with a wife and three daughters sometimes I ride all freaking weekend!!!  And again..that's just me.  
laugh.gif

I have the ZG Sport Tourer screen (dark smoke) and I'm very happy with it. I can see the instruments now and it takes away a lot of the wind blast.

The original screen is only useful if you spend all your time with your chin on the tank....

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

well i have used  the zg touring shield and now i use the puig double bubble shield, the touring shield does give you the best wind protection but it looks funky , the double bubble will allow you to see all the instruments and it gives you alot beter wind protection than the stock shield and it looks great. and i found that the puig shield is thicker than the zero gravity shields, my friends zg shield snapped when he bumped against it, i use heli bars also , i like them but reapor risers do the same thing for alot less money . and i use buell foot pegs, the best mod ive done, to me the leg room was my biggest concerne,  and i have dual star heated pads under my grips, their ok but the heat control isnt the greatest, but what do you expect for thirty bucks.

Whelp...you guys have been a lot of help here and I thank you for sharing your opinions as..it is helping even though ergo's are typically sujective towards individual preference and varying physics..some tall...some small..etc..but here's what I've experianced of the Busa so far from what little riding I've managed to get in thus far.

1. I guess being 5'8" does have it's advantages afterall as tyhe busa's tank supports the short trunk of my torso rather well when I'm bellied up to the tank and that support alone seems to take a wealth of pressure off my wrists and lower back to the point that I can be very lighthanded on the bars....where the tank acts kind of like a backbrace but does so as a "Belly Brace"...and at a short 5'8"s seems to do so extremely well.

2. But short arms arew NOT an advatage and I'm finding myself actually having to make a conscious effort to "Reach Out" that last 1/2" or so...so it seems a touch of rise is definantly in order.

3. Again due to my short torso/trunk/heigth I'm not suffering the "Having to look under the windscreen to see the gauges" syndrome as for my short self???...the gauges are right there in plain sight for me with the stock screen. However, I can see where this would/might be an issue for taller riders.

4. "A Curse Or A Blessing"
rock.gif
...that's what I'm wondering after discovering that once out on the interstaet or up too speed the air-pressure actually helps suppoirt my upper body quite nicely...which seems to take any residual weight (my belly may not be supporting) off my wrists and shoulders...which begs that I wonder if I did go with more wind protection from the ZG Touring Screen would this seemingly desirable affect be diminished???...but I did also notice that once I just slid back a tad and got my chin uder the oem windscreen level that there was but a slight pressure on the forehead section of my helmet and once I tucked far enough that just my eyes were peering but a few inches over the screen???...I was...."Fully In The Bubble"....coulda lit a cigarette down there.
biggrin.gif

Bottom line???...I'm still a tad torn and wanna ride the bike a bit more to better identify, define and evaluate my own personal discomfort levels and thresholds but after yesterdays riding and what I'm reading here???.....I'm thinking a slight rise and maybe a double bubble but not a full out touring screen as...I just need a little bit of rise it seems.

Thanks again and L8R, Bill.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Hey Jingster. I have an '02 LE, I have the Helibars and love them. I have bad wrists and elbows (too long at the same job)
I have tried the OE wind shield, the ZG double bubble (dark smoke) ZG sport touring (light smoke) and currently and probably finally, the PUIG light smoke. In my opinion, the OE looks the best, but anything over highway speeds, unless you tuck, which isn't comfortable, I feel like I coud get blown off. Not good for the long haul. The ZG double bubble looked good and worked well. Without a doubt, the ZG sport touring gives the best wind protection for all day quiet, comfortable riding in the more upright position. However, in my opinion, the ZG SP doesn't do anything for the appearance of the bike. The PUIG looks great, and protects comparable to the ZG DB. It looks like the OE with a taller arch. It has nice edge molding, a black screened area from the front tip back towards the cockpit, It has 1300R on the front. It's also a thicker material. I love it. If I were to go on a LONG highway haul, the ZG sport touring would be the best. The PUIG is the best of both worlds. Looks good. Works good. Just my opinion.
BUSA1
(Mike)

Back