The Alamo....you need to add this to your bucket list

Rev. 6:5

Registered
The family and I towed our travel trailer 500+ miles south of Dallas over spring break to make border incursions for cheap blankets, medicines, pottery, etc. On our way we stopped in San Antonio and hit up the Alamo. I've been to the Alamo once before, so I expected it to be more routine this time around. I was very wrong.

Have you ever been somewhere where you get this feeling? A feeling that something isn't completely right about a place? I have gotten this feeling both times I've visited The Alamo. You can feel the gravity of events on that hallowed ground. I've only felt that feeling once before and that was Gettysburg, PA. Also, it's such a beautiful building, though the lack of preservation prior to the 20th century will probably make you angry. There's a city surrounding the church and buildings now stand where men fought and died in that battle. :(

It is a really neat place.
I felt that too.
One thing I remember is it is a lot smaller than I would have imagined.

I also felt that feeling when I saw Custers last stand.
Weird.
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Where did you guys go? SPI, McAllen, Brownsville, Weslaco?

Oooooh, Custer's last stand. I really want to see that site, though I would probably cheer for the "other" side. ;) I had a great-great-grandfather fight against Custer during Lee's retreat from Petersburg. Not a big fan of his. :poke:

Dan, we stayed at a winter Texan resort in Harlingen right off S.H. 77. My parents, retired old farts from Virginia, live there every winter. We drove out to S. Padre while there, but it was packed with spring breakers, so we did a quick u-turn and got outta there.

I know the area well, I grew up in McAllen and my youngest son was born in Harlingen. Before moving to Dallas I worked at the Sheraton on SPI and survived several Spring Breaks.

I stayed at a Hotel across the Street from the Alamo about ten years ago.
I must admit I too was drawn to it.

I also became "Overwhelmed".
I expected something to happen, but I don't know what.
It was very distracting to a point where it's now difficult to remember details of the visit other than "that feeling".

Having said that, out of the many places I've been, I have felt could live in San Antonio.

Before people think I was overcome with Texan pride, I'm born and bred Virginian. I came to Texas when I was 20 and was stationed at Fort Hood. Married a Texan and, well, they don't leave this state. :D

Although, 13 Virginians did die in the Alamo. ;)

Where did you guys go? SPI, McAllen, Brownsville, Weslaco?

San Antonio?

fullsize_edited.jpg

You know, I didn't know the battle ended so quickly until this trip. The tour guide said the Mexican bugles sounded at 4am and all the defenders were dead before the sun came up. I guess 7,000 vs. 200 isn't as fair a fight as it seems in Hollywood interpretations of the battle.

I'll have to try to get there next time I'm in that part of the country.

I felt the same way when we visited there last year. It was less overwhelming though than seeing Ground Zero in NYC. That was a completely mind numbing feeling knowing that many people gave thier lives that day.

Been there twice, a couple fellas from SC helped out. I was amazed at how many of the men were from foreign nations.

As a kid it meant nothing. Just another place for the folks to drag me through. But after the 4th or 5th time it really started to sink in. The more I learned about what happened and the sacrifices made it really began to affect me. I was probably 15 when I first felt like I owed someone something for their sacrifices made there.

I would like to visit Gettysburg one day.

Back