The 600 mile service Bull....bottom line

Houston_Rider

Registered
As much as as I like to argue, there is no good argument for a positive spin on the 600 mile service.

Greg and I were riding today and went to our favorite dealer just to hang and check out all the stuff, when we talked to the service guys about the 600 mile service.

He told us it would include " checking all moving parts, bolts, specs on chain, lube, oil and filter change"... my question was.. "if we buy the oil/filter from you (and do it ourselves), will Suzuki have an issue down the road if a warranty problem came up".... the answer was "better safe than sorry". Ok, so we decide to pull them in.

Here's my issue with all of this. Greg pulls in his '03 gsxr600 and the guy unbolts the right fairing, pulls it back, drains the oil, changes the filter. 5 minutes later, he backs it up and lubes the chain as he's rolling it out.... "All Done..!! OK, that will be $120..." "Ok, what happened to all the "check it all out, tighten the bolts, etc?".... "We did that". "Bullshit. From the time it was in and out was all of 15 minutes, and we watched the entire time."

I told Greg this was going to happen. This was my argument from the beginning. I KNOW these guys aren't doing what they say they will do. So like a dumb-ass, I pull my '03 Busa in, and they do the same thing. 15 minutes later, my "critical" 600 mile service is finished.

What a waste of money. I know that if something goes wrong, we have proof it was serviced, but they said they would do these things and they didn't. Its more of a safety issue for me than anything else. I don't wanna be at 140mph and the front brake flies off, because some guy "said" he checked it all out. And I REALLY don't mind doing it all myself (thats what I do anyway, its cheap insurance).

But why do these dealers take all of these checks for granted?

Ahmen to that Brother!!!!

I agree , what a waste of money, they had mine for a couple of hours but I did not get to watch them so I dont know if they did what they said but I just hope the dealership is honest in their practices............

I think it varies from dealer to dealer. But the service being overpriced does seem to be a constant.

The dealership that serviced mine the first time, did a pretty complete check of the bike. I got to hang around as the service manager did the work and he answered all of my (probably) stupid questions. I did learn a lot about the bike that day.

He was actually the first one that suggested I find a service manual for the Busa and start learning to do all the maintainence for myself. Yeah it was an expensive service call, but with the advice and questions answered -- I think I got my money's worth.

My advice, learn how to service the bike and diagnose problems yourself. If one is always afraid of the warrantee 'boogy-man', they will get screwed time after time.

Also, doing every last bit of work on my bike, if anything goes wrong, I know exactly what to look for to diagnose problems and I am never stuck wondering if that incompetent tech did the job correctly.

It is bad that you got screwed, but hopefully you have learned not to trust the dealers. Just know that these boards are an incredible asset. Be sure to use them.
wink.gif

My advice, learn how to service the bike and diagnose problems yourself. If one is always afraid of the warrantee 'boogy-man', they will get screwed time after time.

Also, doing every last bit of work on my bike, if anything goes wrong, I know exactly what to look for to diagnose problems and I am never stuck wondering if that incompetent tech did the job correctly.

It is bad that you got screwed, but hopefully you have learned not to trust the dealers. Just know that these boards are an incredible asset. Be sure to use them.
wink.gif
The point was that after I talked to a few dealers, the concensus is to have this done, to avoid problems in the future if a warranty issue comes up. (proof of initial service)

When I bought my Kawa, the dealer didn't have a problem with me doing my own "initial service". For some reason Suzuki dealers "insist" on the $120 oil change.

Beleive me, I would rather spend $40 and do it all right, than to get screwed by the dealer, or wonder whether or not it was done right.. Changing oil isn't a biggy.. I've been doing it for 20 years now...I think I have it down
smile.gif

The point was that after I talked to a few dealers....
That was your problem right there.
laugh.gif

Seriously, though. It is frustrating seeing how dealers like to give those 'scare' tacticts. How looking at the bike wrong voids the warrantee.

Anyway, if you have oil changes down already, just get a service manual and maintaining everything from the paint to the piston rings will be almost a breeze.
thumbs-up.gif

Back