Thank you to all the Teachers

Dan

Married to HRH Grammy
Donating Member
Registered
Our youngest son is mildly autistic and has always been in public schools. At the end of last year, the school approached us about trying him in full inclusion or mainstream. We agreed to try it for one semester after meeting with the school and putting a plan together to make sure he had a safety net, even if he didn't know it.

We met with the teachers today to evaluate his progress and I'm VERY PROUD to say that we were told by all of his teachers that he is doing great and we are going to continue the inclusion for the remainder of this year and in to high school next year. This may not sound like a lot, but the amount of progress that he has made is nothing short of amazing. When he started public school, he had about a 20 word vocabulary, 8 years later he is an A/B student in General Ed. The even better news is that he was able to fully integrate socially as well and has had no issues in that regard.

I just had to brag a little.

Glad to hear congrats the sky is the limit
beerchug.gif

That is wonderful - He'll do great with all the confidence this gives him! It's so good to hear the school staff really making a concerted effort to make this happen for him and everybody wins in the end. It's nothing short of super...

Congratulations!!

Not all teachers are willing to try and "help" a kid.

I have been teaching the same bunch of students since they were in 7th Grade. As promotions go, I have been moved up a grade level every time they have.... I'm gonna cry to see some of them go.

I have ONE student in particular that has a SPED IEP about spelling. He is a math GENIUS but cannot spell and can hardly read. (well he can read but not quickly). His mother gave me HELL my first year because I was not FULLY aware of his problem.

Now, I am his (and HER) favorite teacher... and he drag races at the track so I see him every Wednesday night and we talk about racing at school.

Stay on top of those teachers and there is no reason your child shouldn't graduate with his grade level and obtain a diploma.

That is great! It is nice to see him able to get a good education along with other children. Now he won't feel left out or "special" as some people like to say.

beerchug.gif
Congrats. Super news to hear

I fully understand where you are coming from. I have high hopes as well.

Milestones made by these youngsters are great leaps.

We've been very, very fortunate that we have had nothing but concerned, caring teachers. A lot of people complain about the public school system but if you put the time in with the teachers and work together, amazing things can happen. Our goal has been for him to be self-sufficient when the day comes that we are no longer here to help him.

It's not always easy to get the right balance. You don't want to push too much and discourage him but at the same time, you don't want to accept minimal efforts and write it off as being "special". We try to understand who he is and what he has to overcome and just want to help me be the best person he can be. Everything else will sort itself after that.

Congrats to your son. That's a good story, man. Thanks for posting up on it!

--Wag--

that is awesome...it takes a lot of work and cooperation on the part of teachers and parents to accomplish something like this...congratulations
beerchug.gif

I'm a Dean at a high school here, used to be a Special Ed teacher. I remember a severely autistic boy on his first day in middle school (7th grade here)rolled up in the fetal position wimpering. Last year I attended his high school graduation...on his way to college majoring in music. Many teachers spent many hours and made a profound difference in that boys life...with little fanfare. Thank you for acknowledging the efforts of some great people in public education that sometimes get little recognition and little respect for many after hours effort (I really see it now that I'm an administrator). Enjoy your wonderful son. Raydog

All students succeed when a positive partnership is formed between parents & school. As a high school principal, we pioneered full inclusion almost 20 years ago. Many people (parents especially) were angry that we were mixing "those kinds of kids" with their own. In the end it's the only way for ALL students to succeed. I think you've just started to see your son soar! Keep up the good work!!!

Back