Texas Fairing - fender enclosure

OB_Hyper

Registered
Has anybody installed a rear fender enclosure from 'Texas Fairing'. Is the product a quality piece and does it install without additional fabrication. Any unbiased knowledge of this company's product would be appreciated.

They do make a great piece. The color match is perfect and they send you everything to install the fender. I have been using the copper one for a while now. It makes the rear of the bike look totally different. Out side of there work ethics there end result is very good.

After reading many others' complaints about texas fairing, I was going to cancel my order when I hadn't received it or been able to get anyone on the phone 2 weeks after I ordered the part. I was going to order the FSMD part, hoping to get a group deal.

Lo and behold the part came that same day, complete with instructions, all necc. installation materials, and mediocre, but sufficient packaging. I was missing the brake light kit which I paid $60+ dollars for. I called the company back, and I was told that they ran out of kits, and that they would send me one whenever they got more kits. I assured them that I would be returning their product and expectant of a full refund if I did not get the brake light kit the next day. I also talked to a guy at their business, who seemed much more helpful and professional than the young girl who took my order. The next day the brake light kit arrived in an overnight package, complete with all instructions, and a contact business card for the company that makes the brake light kit.

As far as the quality of the product and ease of installation I will admit that both are excellent. The finish and color match are quite good and the installation is about a two hour job if you have a dremel or something neat to cut the stock fender with (took me less than 20 minutes with a dremel).
The brake light kit works well also.

Three days later I received a letter from texas fairing that included my invoice. So my experience dealing with the company wasn't great, but it wasn't as bad as what some others have gone through, and overall i'm quite happy with the end result.

I`ll not go into what it took to get it someone can read my earlier posts on thier poor business practices but they do have a quality product....

The product color match in copper is very good, but they are not the best business to work with. No invoice, damaged used box and very poor packing, no instructions and a phone line that is seldom answered, delayed promises on delivery dates, refund policy changes like the wind, and this is just telling it like it is.

Some other companies do not operate in such a manner, the product is a nice part. There are few other choices some are more stylish, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Since you live in Texas you might be better off going to their door in person, forwarned is forarmed.

For what they charge to pack and ship you should get a sturdy new box with something better than old newspaper, the box I recieved was slit along the entire length and was not even taped back up. I was able to reach in the box from the side, the worst I have ever seen. Check out the shipping charge, and tell me they are not scamming you out of a few bucks on that as well.

Installation is a no brainer, just a pain to cut the fender, it is easier to install than the FSMD part in all fairness. Purchasing from companies like Lockhart make Texas Fairing look really bad in comparison. If you like the style of their product then you should be happy with it.

Nice color match :)

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by KawAbuser (edited 24 November 1999).]

Hyper, assuming you're still debating whether or not to do your tail, I'll send you good quality shots of my installation of the Free Style Moto Design undertail and hugger on my black Busa. These shots are much better than the ones on www.freestylemotodesign.com.

It's always a matter of personal taste, but I think the FSMD is tidier and more minimalist than the Texas kit. As an architect you may appreciate that.

If you want the pics, just post your e-mail here.

Back