Testing for parasitic draw

newtonx

Registered
I suspect either my new battery is not good or my bike has a parasitic draw, draining amps continuously. So, I did a test with a multimeter and got 0.55 mA. Is this value normal?

(Dang, correcting this post. It is too early in the day!) I think the manual specifies 3 mA or .003 A maximum draw. Is the decimal correct? If yes that is in spec.

Last edited:
Reactions: c10
@c10 0.55mA is less than a fifth of the maximum leakage allowed thus why would it be a drain? Unless the decimal in the reported number is off.
That's enough power to run my relays or strobes in fire alarm . While .55 ma is very low it is enough over time to bring voltage from 13.2 to sub 12 vdc ,and at this point not enough voltage/ amps to crank the starter motor under load

I googled fire strobe specs. I suspect your strobe is operating in the range of 50 mA, or one hundred times his posted measurement.

Last edited:
That is okay, the OP has a problem but his specs is beautiful so in that same vein @newtonx make sure and confirm that you have the correct scale for your measurement!. That could be a great result at 0.55 mA or the big leak you suspect if it were otherwise 550 mA!

From the picture, I guess... it is 0.55mA right?
My electronic knowledge is next to zero, is my interpretation correct?

02E672E7-0E71-48EA-AD13-DEAE115D9F0B.jpeg

If that is an "m" next to the "A" then yes your reading is right, 0.55 mA, and the manual allows for up to 3 mA, so that would be good. A second verification test would be to measure the battery voltage disconnected then remeasure the battery connected to the bike. The voltage should only have a "small" drop, ex. 12.85 to 12.75 V.

It sounds like there is no draw thus can you get to an auto parts store for a free load test of the battery? (It should be fully charged first with a smart charger.)

Last edited:
Back