Tested weight to mph in the quarter

busakiller

Registered
So this weekend we did some roll racing at the track and it’s a 1/4 mile roll race. This will give you a idea of how weight effects your mph at the track. Test bike was a stretched Gen 4 zx10r with quick shifter, slip on, filter, and ecu flash. We had a 140, 190, 240 pound rider ride the bike. All 30 mph rolls and we found out every 50 pounds added we lost about 3 mph in the quarter. Bike was being hot lapped so the runs were done in same conditions. Bike weighs 425 pounds wet and ready to ride.

You would have found the weight difference in the riders would effect the MPH and ET much more then that launching from the tree.

• Love
Reactions: c10
Kinda hard to test et with different riders. Best option would get a light weight rider and start adding weight to him. But the mph shows you how big of a difference power to weight ratio bikes are.

Kinda hard to test et with different riders. Best option would get a light weight rider and start adding weight to him. But the mph shows you how big of a difference power to weight ratio bikes are.

When you roll race the bike has already got the weight moving. Most of the work is done. That's why you saw such a slight difference with a rider weighing 100 ponds more. If you drag race MPH is really not that important. You can figure about a tenth of a second quicker ET for every 20 ponds you drop off the bike. And that's talking about bikes that can go street and strip. Not something that's really buffed up.
And just my opinion here. I really don't think much of roll racing. But it's interesting to see what you found out.

I'm 5 foot 1" @ 149 lb. Riding a friend's turbo Zrx 1100 stretched 6" I runn a 9.33 @ 158 mph. Fighting wheelies in 1st / 2nd.
Steve @ 200 lb and 6 foot 5" runs a 9.16 same night @ 149 mph with a much better 60 foot. The slider is set up for his weight ( not me) point is he is big, and out in the AIR while I tuck / fit behind the small bikini fairing. That equals a higher trap speed.
Your weights matter, but so does exposed mass to air drag.
Next time take your smallest pilot, and add weight into the whole package. I bet he still traps a higher mph :)

Back