Tesla Plaid vs ZX14

And what will that do to a home electric bill?
How many extra kilowatt hours per month/bill cycle will be used on average?
roughly $28 per month was added. I was charged .07 cents per kilowatt. I averaged about 40 kilowatts usage per month. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less. Right now it cost me nothing to charge at home since I have solar panels and powerwalls.

roughly $28 per month was added. I was charged .07 cents per kilowatt. I averaged about 40 kilowatts usage per month. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less. Right now it cost me nothing to charge at home since I have solar panels and powerwalls.
Cool, I thought it would've been alot more.
How about some more info on the solar panels?
How many square feet of panels does it take to generate x amount of power?
How long will it take them to pay for themselves?
I'de love some real world details.

The size system you will need depends on how many kilowatts you use per month. I have a 16kwh system. I projected having 3 EVs in the future so my system is oversized. I financed the system for 20 years, The total cost was 54k. When I crunched the numbers my average power bill was $300 per month so $300 X 12 (months) X 20 (years)= 72K. The payment for my solar panel system was lower than my power bill from day one. I was also able to take a 30% tax rebate so that brought the system cost down to $37,800. I paid off the system last year so I now pay nothing. I sell the excess power that I make back to my power company and they give me a credit (net metering) Some power companies will give you a check at the end of the year for net metering, check with your power company. My power company also gave me $200 toward installing an outlet to charge my EV.

Here, input your address and the amount of your power bill. This will give you an idea for the price. Also they no longer do 20 year financing, It is 10 year now Design your Solar + Powerwall system

people pay pennies for kWh, electricity is much cheaper than gasoline. most homes run in electricity anyways so its not a big deal to use it for your car. its like charging your cellphone, just plug it in when you aren’t using it. a plus side (varies from state to state) is that electric companies cant randomly raise your bill bc of some possible conflict in the middle easy or some supply chain issue. where im at the, the major electric company has to propose its prospective changes to fees before they are implemented and they have to approved by vote. unlike gasoline, those prices are all over the place from day to day.

Solar doesn't work very well here...our weather is pretty nasty in the winter and there are days that go by when we have no direct sunlight as it is overcast...do these things work in overcast conditions with 2 foot of snow on the panels?

I heard him mention it was February at the time of this video....our February looks vastly different than where he is.

How long to battery packs last? Are they like the Li battery packs for power tools that last around 3 yrs or are these designed to last longer and still maintain full capability?

I ask as I really don't know and there is no real good resource to ask this question.

I didn't use our EV systems long enough to learn the answer.

I'm not entirely sold on this tech....

Lithium is not a renewable resource and is a nasty thing to mine, no better than petroleum. When built into batteries can be as dangerous or maybe more so than gasoline due to fact that once it starts to burn, it is really hard to extinguish.

Add to this the biggest elephant in the room, the recharging of this technology....lots of coal fired power plants out there which will be working overtime to recharge all these batteries....

I hear nuclear being doted as the "clean energy" what about the storage of all those spent uranium power rods...?

Solar power-sure but it requires battery packs which go back to my first point.

Wind energy is being related to issues with wild life-the low frequency hum off the propellers are messing with insects..??? not sure on this one.

Hydro electric systems mess with the natural flow of rivers and have been related to the extinction of species as a result.

What is the answer? That is the big question...maybe if they made petroleum cleaner and more efficient and enforced the Euro 5 (or higher) emissions we could at least maintain a bit of performance while still using petroleum as our primary fuel source.

I recall my son showing me a print out of his E-test for his older Ford Focus, it barely registered on the scale....newer vehicles are far cleaner than their predecessors...

I'm not entirely sold on this tech....

Lithium is not a renewable resource and is a nasty thing to mine, no better than petroleum. When built into batteries can be as dangerous or maybe more so than gasoline due to fact that once it starts to burn, it is really hard to extinguish.

Add to this the biggest elephant in the room, the recharging of this technology....lots of coal fired power plants out there which will be working overtime to recharge all these batteries....

I hear nuclear being doted as the "clean energy" what about the storage of all those spent uranium power rods...?

Solar power-sure but it requires battery packs which go back to my first point.

Wind energy is being related to issues with wild life-the low frequency hum off the propellers are messing with insects..??? not sure on this one.

Hydro electric systems mess with the natural flow of rivers and have been related to the extinction of species as a result.

What is the answer? That is the big question...maybe if they made petroleum cleaner and more efficient and enforced the Euro 5 (or higher) emissions we could at least maintain a bit of performance while still using petroleum as our primary fuel source.

I recall my son showing me a print out of his E-test for his older Ford Focus, it barely registered on the scale....newer vehicles are far cleaner than their predecessors...
Lithium battery are safer to extinguish than gasoline fires

Coal power plants are being phased out

Solar does not require battery back ups

All the things you list @Bumblebee are less daunting than the pollution levels coming out of even very efficient IC engines. I think what people don't get is IC technology is reaching its limits of efficiency where electrical is just getting started. For me, this is all about money. You can go back and forth all day with comparisons, but the bottom line is electrical offers tons of opportunities for new income sources. On top of that, it might save the environment too.

The big change will be in automation. This will save on so many things and literally vault us into a new world of advanced capabilities and efficiencies. This won't happen if the IC engine is holding us back. I don't see muscle cars and Busas going away, they'll just become hobby items. The sooner electrical cars become the norm, the sooner they will leave us alone.

Lithium battery are safer to extinguish than gasoline fires

Coal power plants are being phased out

Solar does not require battery back ups
Where are the coal plants being phased out? China has a call out to increase coal mining for their power plants. India, Pakistan and countless other countries including Canada and the US use many coal fired power generators and these most likely won't be phased out in my lifetime.

Solar is a direct power source? How does that work when it is dark or overcast? How does that energy get stored?

Li batteries used in EV are not as easy to put out as a gasoline fire as you can only use class b extinguishers or foam....most fire departments rely on water to put out fires including gasoline fires in car wrecks for instance..

Foam is very expansive to use on a regular basis and many fire trucks can't pump foam-it takes a triple combination pumper to do that.

I can see residences and commercial indoor parking requiring some sort of foam suppressant to extinguish an EV fire...there have been more than a few garages/houses burn down due to EV recharging...

As you seem to be a die-hard advocate for all things EV, I find it odd you are still riding a gas powered Hayabusa and haven't gone to say an EV motorcycle product?

All the things you list @Bumblebee are less daunting than the pollution levels coming out of even very efficient IC engines. I think what people don't get is IC technology is reaching its limits of efficiency where electrical is just getting started. For me, this is all about money. You can go back and forth all day with comparisons, but the bottom line is electrical offers tons of opportunities for new income sources. On top of that, it might save the environment too.

The big change will be in automation. This will save on so many things and literally vault us into a new world of advanced capabilities and efficiencies. This won't happen if the IC engine is holding us back. I don't see muscle cars and Busas going away, they'll just become hobby items. The sooner electrical cars become the norm, the sooner they will leave us alone.
I'm not sold on it.....ever see a Lithium mine? What it does to the environment isn't pretty...the manufacturing of LI batteries has to be every bit as nasty as any other electronic device.

What will be come of all these spent Lithium batteries? Will they be shipped to some third world country where a guy (or kid) in sandals and a hammer is breaking them down?

Power generation is the next big hurtle, there are many countries and not just third world countries where having enough power to just get by is a real thing...add in the recharging of countless EV and their grids will fail..who will be picking up those pieces....

I'm all for the advancement of tech, but a plan has to be put in place before this tech is launched, power infrastructure is a real thing...imagine the costs and labor of upgrading the power grid of even one larger city to accept the influx of EV tech.

IC can move towards hydrogen.

But side note doesn't coal fired plants release the most radioactive material into the soils and atmosphere than any other power source?

I live where 2 neighboring small towns meet. Each had a coal burning power plant.
One plant is now basically closed, with a skeleton crew.
The other, was converted to wood chips a few years ago.
I wonder where all that wood comes from?????
How much electricity is used to cut down the trees, process them, then haul the mulch to the plants?????
I'm all for clean energy too, and we have to start somewhere...but the logistics have a Long way to go before they become clean and efficient.

How many of these Lithium mines will we be seeing....all that waste water gets pumped to tailing ponds the size of lakes

LI mine.jpg

Back